Windfest & Camp Fees

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
skywalker

Windfest & Camp Fees

Post by skywalker »

The last few years have seen the costs of running Windfest skyrocket. Insurance, safety, security etc. This has grown from a grass roots event, to an internationally recognized festival.

All of us at Windfest are 100% unpaid volunteers. We also end up wearing any cost overages, and liability. Last year we lost about $7000 on the event.

This year, in partnership with the Ditidaht First Nation, we are exploring adding a surcharge to the campsite for the Windfest weekend. This would go towards the increased safety and security costs, as well as pay for some of the music. It would be around $20-$30 for the weekend. All in all, you would receive considerable value for this.

Common sense exemptions would apply, including low-income families, First Nations, registered students, and registered competitors.

Changes like this help keep Windfest alive for future generations. We understand this may ruffle some feathers, and thank you for your understanding.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

I understand the rationale for this. Having live music for 2 nights is worth it.

I expect some folks who just plan their vacation oblivious of when Windfest is scheduled may bridle at it, though. Especially if the date is changed due to weather conditions to a weekend they are there.

However, $30 for the entire weekend is an amount that is likely able to be absorbed - especially if there are some exceptions / leeway as you set out.

Maybe, just maybe, I will compete this year if I can get my confidence up!

Thanks for all the hard work on it - it is a lot of fun to be there.
nitinaht girl

Post by nitinaht girl »

This should be clarified, that this charge will be on top of regular camping fees.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Yes that would be in addition to the camp fees.

During windfest the organizers are responsible for stocking the outhouses with TP and hand sanitizer, as well as providing first aid and security. Its in our agreement with the province.

In addition the music costs 10's of thousands.

If everyone chips a little in, this event continues for the next generation.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
AC

😎

Post by AC »

Hope it all works out for everyone 🤣
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

I think it is a good idea but people are going to freak out over that. Just be ready...
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

If it's well communicated, well in advance, it is what it is, and people can deal with it. Once communicated, if you change the dates, amounts etc., you're screwed. (101 Event Planning )
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

I'm sure you'll get a bunch of push back from the negative nancy's, but it's totally reasonable IMO (and I'm sure the majority of windfest supporters wouldn't bat an eyelash at it.

Letting it be known well in advance is half the battle (clear signage at the entrance to the campground, the windsurfer notice board & turnaround area months in advance). I can laminate signs for you guys if you want.

What is the game plan if dates change? (that's where I could foresee the issues arising, which I'm sure you've considered with the past history of the event)
emearg

Post by emearg »

As someone that may be there during the Windfest event but am not taking part in anything, and could care less about the music - i am fine with paying a little extra that weekend BUT if the date needs to change are you going to make it the following weekend which is the BC Day Long weekend ??

BC Day weekend is usually a very busy weekend and people will have made plans far in advance to possibly avoid Windfest as well; perhaps you can try and outline your plans if weather is an issue on the presently planned weekend??

Personally i think that Windfest should not be planning on taking over the campground on the already busy long weekend if there is a weather issue, IMHO

you mention a partnership with the Ditidaht First Nation, does this mean that some of the extra fees will go to them as well ?

Thanks !!
BK

Post by BK »

Does it have to be live bands? What’s wrong with making a bad ass playlist or having a DJ?
Seems the music part of this event is what is putting it in the negative...
Just sayin’
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

The music is also the only sure thing, unlike the wind. To stick to our dates we've morphed into half music/half kite fest which allows us to proceed on less ideal forecasts. Easier on us, and You!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
BK

Post by BK »

It was mearly a suggestion as to how to prolong a financially unsustainable event.
Good luck.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

I think an increased camp fee is OK but it needs to be telegraphed well in advance - not sure how to do that. Now, the camp managers usuallly collect cash (if they come around to collect....). This is problematic because there are no machines around and I use the cash for breakfasts and dinners too. I guess you could go to the store and pay. Anyhow, given the entertainment and work (thank you all very, very, much) it's more than worth it IMHO.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

No way anyone would complain for a small $30 extra!!! Do you guys have the dates for this year?
BigA

Post by BigA »

July 26th to 28th!