CoVid Kiting

Post links to cool kiteboarding or windsurfing sites with photos, videos or technique.
AusCan
Website Donor
Website Donor

CoVid Kiting

Post by AusCan »

I tried to make a video from Monday's session. It might not quite make the cool category; it's definitely a bit rough ($60 action cam and basic editing skills :roll: ) and it's a bit long. Though, I figured you guys had a little extra time these days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M29puYgDl8

I'll keep working on it...
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks for sharing. :P
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Aloha Naish Friends + Family,

We wanted to take a moment to connect with our Naish community regarding COVID-19 during this unforseen time. We are a family of athletes, outdoor lovers, and adventure seekers - but now is the time to focus on health, community and the well-being of our neighbors.

We have implemented a series of measures to ensure the health and safety of both our employees and customers and at this time, Naish will remain operational and continue to be available for online sales. We are here to answer any questions or concerns you might have. We will be updating you of any new developments, but until then be sure to stay active and stay healthy!

If you’re able to do so safely and within local guidelines be sure to get outside for a paddle, surf, foil, windsurf, or give that new Wing-Surfer a try — it’s great for the mind, body and soul. If you need some inspiration, check out our social media channels linked below - we will be sure to keep the content coming your way to keep you entertained in the meantime.

We look forward to seeing you all on the water as soon as possible.

Aloha,

The Naish Team

Thermals are good.
Chuck

Great vid!

Post by Chuck »

Thanks AusCan, nice video!

Miss that place! Kite safe :wink:
AusCan
Website Donor
Website Donor

CoVid Kiting

Post by AusCan »

AusCan
Website Donor
Website Donor

CoVid Kiting

Post by AusCan »

The first one above was Monday March 23, this is Saturday March 21. A slight improvement on my editing skills, but still only slight :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejkwHxl_oig
AusCan
Website Donor
Website Donor

Covid Kiting

Post by AusCan »

Mind Surfing

I'm a kiteboarder now but one day I want to be a kite-surfer like this guy...watch him carve up those waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kplqO9BAo3k
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

That is so awesome!! :D love the tunes too!
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
AusCan
Website Donor
Website Donor

The real Stig

Post by AusCan »

JL

Post by JL »

:P
Thermals are good.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

As we expected, but now there is validated scientific study, sunlight and moisture kill the virus very quickly. Trump is saying today "in a minute" but I heard yesterday that the half life was 2 minutes in those conditions. So 1/2 left in 2 minutes, 1/4 in 4 minutes, 1/8 in 6 minutes. Launching and landing kites should be no substantive chance for transmission (even without washing after, but I'd do that too). We'll still need to distance for the forseeable future but as the rules begin to relax a bit over the next few weeks I personally will have no issues launching and landing someone else's kite.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

[Disclaimer: I am not a denier or even a minimizer, I am being as careful as anyone to be distances and safe. But also trying to find the reasonable/rational middle ground]

This article:
https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/on ... hospitals/

109 total cases in Vancouver Island. Of which only 14 are from community spread. 5 patients total in hospital. Those #s seems so low, I had to read it a few times to see if I had mis-read it. But no, those are quotes from Island Health CEO and the VI chief medical officer.

That shows our measures have worked and by keeping the measures to some degree, we will avoid the big #s in Ont or Que. That's worth striving for. But at the same time, we are well past the point of irrational hysteria and panic. I prefer none of you be within 6 feet of me for a while yet ... but I will continue to launch and land your kites, even if it means taking on the 0.000001% probability of virus transmission. :?

It's also time to re-open parks and low-risk recreational opportunities IMHO. Have the bylaw officers provide education on minimizing transmission and on enforcement when necessary. A measured and thoughtful approach is what I am looking forward to.
JL

Post by JL »

I'm o.k. with opening the parks BUT not allowing camping for the time being. It would be a good start. :P Thanks for the link John 8)
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

juandesooka wrote:109 total cases in Vancouver Island. Of which only 14 are from community spread. 5 patients total in hospital. Those #s seems so low, I had to read it a few times to see if I had mis-read it.
It's also time to re-open parks and low-risk recreational opportunities IMHO. Have the bylaw officers provide education on minimizing transmission and on enforcement when necessary. A measured and thoughtful approach is what I am looking forward to.
ONLY 14?? ...ANY documented community spread is concerning. Remember the numbers of cases are related purely to testing, they are not testing everybody! I think it’s reasonable to assume that there are thousands infected on the island, the majority of them at a very low level or non-symptomatic.
Yes, I agree....they need to open the parks but keep the washrooms closed and the picnic tables fenced off....People will need to hit the head before they head out :idea:
Last edited by KUS on Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Jds i agree completely. Hadn't heard the community transmission number before that is really encouraging. I wonder when the last case of this occurred. There is the outbreak on cormorant island (alert bay) right now with a death yesterday so arent out of the woods yet. But maybe we can go into them now!