Wingfoiling

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Tsawwassen wrote:Nice to see Boujmaa winging!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CL2BN6UHayh ... hare_sheet
RAD! Thanks for posting.

Reviewing his IG, appears he's a talented multi sport enthusiast. That's what I've been saying all along, wing is just another tool in the box, use whatever offers max stoke for the day's conditions.

Morocco remains on my Top 5 trip destinations, maybe now moved up a notch or two.
:shock: :!: :lol:
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

We were supposed to be in Morocco this year! :cry:
Poultry in motion
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

winddoctor wrote:We were supposed to be in Morocco this year! :cry:
What a drag, were you going to stay at Boujmaa's place or travel around? Definitely on my list.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

juandesooka wrote: RAD! Thanks for posting.

Morocco remains on my Top 5 trip destinations, maybe now moved up a notch or two.
:shock: :!: :lol:
No problem! Boujmaa is a very inspiring windsurfer, it's cool to see him winging! I would love to spend some time in Morocco as well.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

I think the windsurfishes stayed there about 10 years ago, sounded absolutely fabulous
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

more force 4 wrote:I think the windsurfishes stayed there about 10 years ago, sounded absolutely fabulous
If you know a link, post it up ... googling didn't come up with an obvious hit. I find sometimes the great tip on the awesome place to stay, becomes the starting point that drives a trip plan!
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Searched in the forum, couldn't find any mention of it. Maybe one of them will see this thread :wink:
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

juandesooka wrote: If you know a link, post it up ... googling didn't come up with an obvious hit. I find sometimes the great tip on the awesome place to stay, becomes the starting point that drives a trip plan!
It's closed due to covid and the website is down but I found this.

https://www.facebook.com/BoujXS/

Google boujxsports and it come up on the map. A friend of mine went in 2019 and said there is now a new spot they have for surfing and winging.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

I found this shot of Boujamaa winging in Gold Beach. I think this is in front of the Inn of the Beachcomber. More reasons to go, not that I needed any.
Attachments
122260515_189897412587973_8263301472674968039_o.jpg
122260515_189897412587973_8263301472674968039_o.jpg (39.52 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
jim mckenzie

first wing foil board

Post by jim mckenzie »

Hi guys; I wonder if any of you would suggest a volume for a first wing foil board for a guy about 175 pounds with windsurfing experience. I'm afraid some pre-puchase anxiety is going on...
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Hi Jim! Joining the fray! You're going to love it. Your 175lb = 80kg, so great all-round board should be your weight(kg) + 10 - 40 lt = 90 to 120 lt for you depending on your abilities and willingness to be challenged. The bigger volume will tend to be wider (27-30"), thicker and a bit longer (5'3 - 5'11) and very easy to get on and kneel/stand from the start. The smaller side will tend to narrower (24-27"), not as long (4'10 - 5'6), and take a few sessions to get comfortable on, but still very good in the long run, and perhaps better performance as you progress. Of course there's a lot of variation and choices amongst the various manufacturers between those dimensions, so yeah it's a tough decision. I think all the majors are pretty good picks, just make sure there's a bottom handle, and you may want front "v" strap ability for switch stance riding (like windsurfing). Ex. Fanatic Sky Wing 5'4 95 lt; 5'8 110lt; Quatro Wing Drifter 5'4 90lt; 5'6 105lt; Naish Wing Hover 5'7 95lt, 5'10 110lt.
I think you've got the wind skills and what about foiling(?) if both I think you'll get the hang of winging quite quickly and can tend to the lower volume end in the 90-100 range, but the 100-110 range would still be a great choice and last you for many seasons. I'm sure some others will have suggestions too. Ping me if you want more info. Cheers!
Last edited by UnusuallyLargeRobin on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: first wing foil board

Post by juandesooka »

jim mckenzie wrote:Hi guys; I wonder if any of you would suggest a volume for a first wing foil board for a guy about 175 pounds with windsurfing experience. I'm afraid some pre-puchase anxiety is going on...
Will be some varied replies. There are some advocates for small high performance boards ... but IMHO the jury is still out on whether the performance advantages gained are worth what it costs in easy functionality on typical day to day conditions. I think it is similar to the small-board revolution in windsurfing, where you were a kook if you were on an uphauler with a big sail -- and from what I observed, this trend ended with grumpy windsurfers constantly grumbling about how "it's not windy like it used to be". High wind gear works consistently in a few hot spots in the world, and then only on the best days elsewhere. Wind foiling has reawakened the stoke in local windsurfers, as they now once again have gear that actually works in light-to-moderate winds.

So, with that in mind, do you rig up to make the most of the best half dozen days a year? Or a set up that works in the lightest of winds? Or the middle solution to have fun on the average moderate days?

For winging, my opinion is for learning, you want a big board -- something you can easily stand up on in choppy seas. Much like those first days uphauling. You can even start the first few sessions on a big sup without a foil, learn how the wing works.

A moderate board from there is 100-120L SUP foil ... and short of jumps or fast carving, that can do you.

High level intermediate rule of thumb is a board 10L+ over your weight in KGs. So a 90L...this will allow enough float for knee starts.

And then L<KG for experts....right down to 20L sinkers with straps and chest deep water starts.
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

Thanks Robin and Juan. I have chopped down a couple of old windsurf boards for myself but I'm small and so are they. This is for my brother who is bigger than me and I don't want him to be frustrated. Sounds like a 110 is in order. We were thinking 90 but I agree with both of you. Paired with a 6m wing, we should get some days.
If you're ever on Mayne Island, stop by Bennett Bay on a southeasterly. Thanks guys.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

jim mckenzie wrote:Thanks Robin and Juan. I have chopped down a couple of old windsurf boards for myself but I'm small and so are they. This is for my brother who is bigger than me and I don't want him to be frustrated. Sounds like a 110 is in order. We were thinking 90 but I agree with both of you. Paired with a 6m wing, we should get some days.
If you're ever on Mayne Island, stop by Bennett Bay on a southeasterly. Thanks guys.
Err on side of conservative size-wise in learning phase....a too-short board will create frustration. Keep in mind beginner boards are an easy re-sell, loads of people starting out.

And managing expectations, maybe at risk of sounding negative ... the light wind aspects of winging have been a little disappointing. I thought it was going to be a light wind solution, and it is doable, just a lot of work ... frankly kite-foiling has ended up being more fun for me at the low-end (with the exception of being in actual surf). Seems like the wind foilers similarly. But on the positive side: the high wind winging has been way better than expected. I figured I'd kite when it got windy, but it's been the opposite, winging comes alive at 20+ and just gets better the windier it is.

At 10kt with a 6m wing, prepare for an arm workout! Tell your bro to start doing chin ups to prepare. :-)
superdave
Contributor
Contributor

Post by superdave »

Well said juandesooka. Both posts just above.