Closures (Covid-19)

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JL

Post by JL »

Nitinaht Girl: Police are monitoring daily as well. - Saturday May 09, 9:14AM Goldenrule: Hey all, so everyone knows. Nitnaht is still 100% closed. There is no "going around" or anything. It is not opening on the 14th or 19th. Let's all remain respectful to a community working on staying safe. Kiters are not the priority for the ditidaht right now so please stay away. Unless you want to be met at the road block ;) - Saturday May 09, 9:06AM
Thermals are good.
chris_glazier

Post by chris_glazier »

I am following this thread for any new information on Nitinat. If anyone hears of when the campsite might open please post.

:wink: CG
Sandy Beach

Covid closures

Post by Sandy Beach »

Sandy Beach: Thanks, RV ! You are correct:) WindRider kiteschool (China Creek) is open, taking one student per day. Unfortunately, No drop-ins, as there's No Day-Use at China Creek, run by Pt Alberni Port Authority (PAPA) PAPA has signs up around PA and entrance to China Creek "No Day-Use Visitors" , as there's no washroom facilities open. Self-contained RV rigs with bathrooms/sinks permitted while staying and camping. Apparently, no tenting or truck camping. Staff seem to be monitoring closely. ~Downtown Port Alberni (southport) has afternoon wind and empty inlet for those more hardcore riders looking for day-use. Bring a buddy for launching/landing. Washrooms at Harbour Quay are open. HQ businesses and spectators love to watch the kiting action :) Entertaining to read all of the recent session logs! :) Go Bobson! This summer may be a good time for new beaches and potential launch sites to be discovered, explored and possibly started by our pioneering island wind peeps:) Also, as RV said to me, many of our local beaches get great wind in summer that we miss while camping at Nitinat. Looks like Squamish kiting schools are closed too Sea To Sky Kiteboarding cancelled~FB post - Friday June 05, 11:00AM

Kus: I hear that facebook thing is the way to go eh? - Thursday June 04, 7:17PM
Rvanderbyl: Who looks at websites? Obviously not everyone! - Thursday June 04, 7:05PM
Nanmoo: Yea that info is on the China Creek website Ray. - Thursday June 04, 5:46PM
Rvanderbyl: I heard from a close source that China Creek doesn't want to open their washrooms to general public or campers. So if you have a bathroom in your rig your good to go for camping. Not sure about day use. Correct me if I'm wrong Mrs Beach. As for Kite lessons I believe they're allowed one student per day so book ahead! - Thursday June 04, 5:18PM
Kus: Interesting. I read that China Creek is only open for self-contained units and they are not excepting day use visitors. Hopefully that has changed but that’s news to me...will check - Thursday June 04, 4:53PM
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Some of the Squamish kite schools have been open for a few weeks now.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Sandy Beach

Covid closures - squamish

Post by Sandy Beach »

nanmoo wrote:Some of the Squamish kite schools have been open for a few weeks now.
That's great to hear! Thanks for the update
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Nitinaht Girl: The Nitinaht Lake Campsites (Caycuse Recreation and Windsurf Park) will be open for the 2021 camping season at 50% capacity as directed by Ditidaht Chief and Council. We are working hard at creating the online booking system to accommodate these new restrictions, as we must have each booking be made online to comply with the WorkBC and the Public Health Officers' COVID-19 protocols on operating a campsite in BC. These changes have caused a delay in our roll out of the online booking system, and we will tentatively have information available for April 9, 2021. We do not have a set open date, as we are still determining which sites will be open, and which sites will be closed. Thank you for your patience as we work through these challenges. Please do not call the Store, Motel or the Ditidaht Administration offices, as they do not have any information about the campsite beyond this post. All questions may be directed to Anne Pettet on my business email: " Klecko Klecko! - Tuesday March 30, 12:48PM
Thermals are good.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Almost there peeps! Listen to the real scientists. Vaccines soon and gradual comeback.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Here's some answers to questions you may have from Anne, that I had asked about Nitinaht this season (2021). Many yet "to be determined".

Her response was as of Wed. March 31 9:20pm Stay tuned as I'm sure things/decisions will change quickly.

- what will nightly cost be?
This is still to be determined
- how many nights can you book? (maximum length of stay)
So far we have discussed 31 consecutive days as the maximum length of stay
- how many people in a site/group?
Still to be determined, but we are considering following the BC parks regulations of 8 individuals (4 of which are adults)
- will reservation take a deposit or is it full pay at time of reservation?
To be determined
- what will reservation cancellation policy be? e.g. full refund up to 5 days before start date; partial refund; no refunds ?
To be determined
- will the full season be "reserve only" our just July, August or some other dates? e.g. I will have to reserve for the May long weekend, and any other weekends, and any vacation long stays
We will require all bookings to be made online ahead of time, no matter the holiday or time in the season.
- will Day Use be allowed (no overnight stay)?
To be determined
- will you be allocating sites to the kite schools for the entire season?
To be determined
I Realize I have placed "to be determined" on many of your questions, as these will be answered when we have our website go live around April 7-9th, 2021. There is much to consider, and we have been tasked at managing this within the guidelines set by the community.

All updates will be posted on our Facebook page for the Nitinaht Visitor Centre Facebook page.

Thank you for your questions,

Kind regards,
Anne
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Nitinaht Girl: Access to Nitinaht is by overnight reservation only. No day trippers unfortunately - Wednesday April 07, 3:46PM
Windsurfish: What will the status at Nitinaht be for day trip sailing for island residents? - Wednesday April 07, 3:29PM
Nitinaht Girl: The RV sites are at the beginning of the new road. - Wednesday April 07, 2:47PM
curses - foiled again!
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Has there been any new discussion within the community on the recent announcement of the changing restrictions?

Will the campground continue to open more spaces up to 75% or more capacity for example?

If so, can we make adjustments to existing bookings in order to congregate with people I know? I.E.: They would free up another location for the same weekends?

Any upcoming plans for a sani dump?

Are day trippers going to become a reality come July?

If day tripping is an option what would you charge for that? I recall an uproar when the price was $15/day which eventually changed to $10/day

Thanks in advance