Wingfoiling Progression

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Beat me to posting it...great video. Ripping it up and positive vibe.
Wing is a pretty cool bridge between tribes.

On another note, I boughtJohnny Heineken cast-off gear, that's why I'm so almost rad.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

I have a Duotone Slick 6.5 and a Duotone Slick 4.0 arriving today. And there's wind in the forecast!
All I have to compare against is the 5.0 Duotone "Foil Wing", but it is a pretty generic generation 1 design.
Very interested to see how the smaller diameter leading edge, and straighter leading edge, and overall more squared shape, affects the sailing performance. And I'm hoping this may give some more lower-end power, to get going (and stay going) in the ~14 knot winds for the 6.5, but also be easier to manage in the over-powered conditions.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Got to use the 6.5 Slick today and the wind ranged from 10-19ish, so I got
to see the lower end grunt and also it powered up.
The LE doesn’t really look much thinner than I thought it looked in videos I had seen. But as soon as I lifted the wing off the ground I was surprised how stable it was upside down, whereas the Foil Wing would go one way then the other.
I’m heavier, about 195lbs, and have a big floaty 145L board, and a big front wing (84 Hoverglide), and I could lightly pump/drag up onto the foil in what seemed to be about 14 knots. I think if my pumping was up to snuff I could maybe pump on in 12 knots sustained.
I’d be interested to see how light of wind BWD or MrN/S could get up with that wing, but I would wager 10 knots or less, which is awesome. Incentive to lose weight!
But anyways, no buyer’s remorse with the Slick. It will get a lot of use and looks like it is built well and will last.

Funny how easy gybing looks, yet I feel so lost when I get out there and get ready to try.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

progression

Post by Bobson »

Dood, sounds like you're really progressing on this 'Wing-Thing'. Can't wait to get out on the water together again. SWEET!!
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Thinking more about my big gybe attempt yesterday, after watching some other videos, I think lack of speed was probably the big factor. I felt like my feet were more centerline, or straddling center, and because I went over the starboard side but foil came up on port, means my weight was too far into the turn, despite being on what should have at that point been the upwind side, so I think it was more "stall" and fold than it was foot position.
Some videos, like Wyatt/Slingshot, say slow everything down, take nice long downwind turns. But another one I watched last night and he said tight, fast turn radius to keep speed in is actually the safest way to learn. I'm thinking that may be more true for me.
Next time I'll go in full speed and aggressive, so hopefully someone is recording it so it can become a youtube sensation. :twisted: :lol:
elt

Post by elt »

I just got my jibes to and from switch recently. I found the most useful advice I got was as follows:

-Speed is indeed your friend
-Keep weight forwards, I was leaning back and stalling the foil
-Forget the handwing it's the easy part, focus on the foilboard and keeping it's speed through the jibe
-Once halfway in to the turn do the hand swap on the wing, the sooner you sheet in and point in to the wind, the sooner you are creating apparent wind, this helps continue flying in the other direction.

What they say is true, if you can jibe a big board, you can jibe a little one, in fact it's easier on smaller boards.

Good luck!
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Thanks elt. Good tips and I was wondering when and how much I should focus on the wing, so that's really useful. Cheers
BigD

New standard equipment

Post by BigD »

If you guys really want to take it to the next level you gotta look the part. It's the new boardshorts over wetsuit but for winging. Maybe Kai Lenny will come out with a new line of Fanny Packs for boosting. Sick Duotone colors too.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210520-103933_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210520-103933_Chrome.jpg (551.79 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
Tlaloc

New To this

Post by Tlaloc »

Saw this sport and had to jump in and try it out! I’m completely new to wind/wing and foil. I’ve been doing the progressive learning using my 11’9” hard SUP and my 4.6 S25 Wing with good results at Willows Brought my wingboard out for the first time another time on a ~5knts day with comical results...ended up practicing my balance with a paddle instead of using the wing.
Brought my foil kit out for a second time to clover point on a presumably good wing day with my 4.6 wing (only wing at the time) with similarly comical/disappointing results. I read earlier on in the post that clover isn’t that great for Wingfoil.

Just got my s26 6.8 wing and look forward to getting the feel for it on my sup to start...

Where is the best location for beginners? Willows, Island view? I did see someone at Parker beach cruising by on a windsurf/foil. Are there any folks who are providing lessons?

Cheers,
Jason

PS I’ll leave this here for BD Fannypack/drybag ;) https://www.overboardcanada.ca/collecti ... k-4-litres
Starboard Wingboard Lite tech 6’7” 115L
Naish S26 Jetfoil (2450 foil, 75 cm mast, 450 stabilizer)
Naish S25 4.6 Wing,Naish S26 6.8 Wing
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Willows is probably best for a beginner on that end of town or Ross Bay on the inside if the swell isn't wrapping in too much.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

I am providing lessons Jason. 250 eight one three 0035
Tlaloc

Post by Tlaloc »

Went to willows today. I’m pretty sure it’s my current ability, but was it super variable wind strength/gusts? Was able to stay up on my board (not on foil though) for brief moments which felt great.

Anyone ever try putting a couple fins (instead of the foil) on a larger wingboard to get use to the balance and feel?

I rapidly becoming a detractor of footstraps, I found that they only got in the way of me trying to balance.
Anyone have other experiences or thoughts?

Cheers!
Jason

Apologies for the beginner chat...
Starboard Wingboard Lite tech 6’7” 115L
Naish S26 Jetfoil (2450 foil, 75 cm mast, 450 stabilizer)
Naish S25 4.6 Wing,Naish S26 6.8 Wing
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Hey Jason,
My experience at Willows in Westerlies is exactly that. Pretty extreme (lulls to gusts). But lots of good sessions logged there by others, so must be good days and bad days, and I think the further out from shore into Oak Bay area the steadier the wind, but then the bigger the waves and not much of a lee shore for a beginner. The gusty conditions will train you quickly for reacting, so you’ll be feeling good on the next steady-wind day!
I started windfoiling first, and put a fin on instead of foil for a while when learning that, definitely. But really, if you keep the foil on, it should be ok if your weight is forward. Wing and fin… might not be worth the time. The big mast of the foil helps you stay upwind, and if you get powered up you’ll start to feel the board plane from the foil lift. Then when you’re ready you can get the weight back and try flying.
I am thinking of using a windfoil board though, like I still do with my wing. Of which I need to step back to get up on foil. Using a wing specific board, I’m not sure. I agree regarding straps when starting. I have my front ones on now but really just use them as brail for my front foot position which is just forward with my heel touching the forward strap screw. But I think best to have no straps when you’re a fancy footed kook.
The foil/mast also help you balance, so a fin would be a wobblier board.

I’ve asked lots of beginner questions here. And they didn’t kick me off! Yet! :D
JDR

Post by JDR »

I decided to try Willows today as well as I'm still working to get up on foil and the last few times at Ross Bay have been a challenge with the chop. Was really looking forward to it with the stronger wind today until I pulled the ultimate kook move, which I'll share here in case it helps others (although I'm sure most folks here would know to avoid this mistake already). I had to park pretty far from the beach so I brought my board, wing and pump down, pumped up the wing and tied it off short to the board given the strong winds. I left the board pointing upwind while I went to get my wetsuit, but with the foil in the air. Came back from the car and saw the board had been blown over...sadly, the foil had gone right through the wing, just above with window, leaving a 3-inch hole. Apparently the wind direction had shifted and blown the board over. :oops: Lesson learned to leave the board on its side from now on.

I was pretty bummed about the wing and missing out on a great day at Willows. Decided to ask the folks at the concession if they happened to have any duct tape - they did, and very kindly shared a few pieces. Taped both sides of the rip and that managed to hold for the full session. Agree with earlier comments that the wind was really gusty and shifty, but managed much more time on my feet in both directions and popped up on foil briefly a few times.

Great session, but a painful/expensive lesson learned. Thanks to the kind staff at the concession for the duct tape. Now to search the forums for wing-repair advice!
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Keep the foil on, it adds a lot of stability and upwind capability.