Mid Aspect foils

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Mid Aspect foils

Post by Tsawwassen »

I noticed Armstrong has a new lineup of MA wings. Has anyone tried them yet? I just got a new Sabfoil MA wing, AR5, according to Sabfoil it's a surf wing, but it's great winging. It needs some speed, as I discovered yesterday but with a bit of wind and a wave it's super fun. Armstrong says "THE MA (MID ASPECT) FOILS DELIVER A TRULY NEXT-GEN COMBINATION OF GLIDE, LOW STALL SPEED, INTUITIVE CARVING AND INSTANTANEOUS BREACH RECOVERY." This pretty much sums up the feeling I got riding the W730. Over all easy to ride and control, but nice speed (not too fast) and cranks turns. I'd be interested to hear anyones feedback on their MA foils.
grantmac

Re: Mid Aspect foils

Post by grantmac »

Depends on how you define MA. Some manufacturers call that 7-8:1, others anything above 5:1
Aspect is just one part of defining a foil. Thickness is another one that isn't as discussed but may be even more important.

I'm riding a thin 5.8:1 and really like it, I'd consider it on the border between LA and MA.
cjs

Post by cjs »

Expecting the MA1225 to arrive next week. Curious to see how it compares to the 1550 in terms of stall speed, min takeoff, etc.

Will let y’all know how it is.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

I used the MA1000 for the first time today. It’s a bit hard to tell since I was underpowered and I also changed to a longer fuse (60) and removed a tail shim. But compared to the HA925, it is a lot more user friendly, the take off speed seemed a bit better and it doesn’t stall as easy on takeoff. Rail to rail it’s looser than the 925 I think and the stall speed is lower. I also had some breach recoveries which is a new thing. It is way more HA-like than I thought it would be. I need a few more test days but I think I’ll sell the HA.

I got the 800 too and I’m excited to try it out. Both foils are super thin and the 800 is the best looking/sexiest foil I’ve seen. If that means anything.
smartang

Post by smartang »

Sab 730 is low aspect. Lowest AR of any wing available on their site until the 633 comes back.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

smartang wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:35 pm Sab 730 is low aspect. Lowest AR of any wing available on their site until the 633 comes back.
I was wondering about that, as the Armstrong ones are all around 7. I had read somewhere it was a MA wing. The Armstrong MA range look fun though.
bwd wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:30 pm Both foils are super thin and the 800 is the best looking/sexiest foil I’ve seen. If that means anything.

Looking sexy is what it's all about Dave! :lol: Looking forward to hearing your reports on the sexy 800.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

I ordered the MA1225 for small-medium wave SUP foiling and light air winging, though I rode it today in 35 knots very comfortably. I've ridden it twice but echo Dave's statements. For a "big" foil, it's insanely fun and easy to ride. Speed is a little lower possibly than the equivalent HA. This doesn't make it lower performance, but allows you to push it harder in turns and commit to maneuvers knowing that the foil is predictable. I have to say that the new Performance mast must be a huge part of the feeling too, however. It is a massive upgrade in all respects over the 2 previous V1/V2masts (and it wasn't like I was unhappy with them!). I could easily own just the MA1225 and an MA800 I think, but I'm now dying to see how the slicey HAs go on the new mast! The MAs feel perfectly positioned between the HA foils and the HS foils in the Army line up. It's nice to have the HAs for speed and all out glide, but if turning and reliability is important, the MAs are amazing. Exciting times! What's coming out next week? :lol:
Poultry in motion
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

winddoctor wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:49 pm I ordered the MA1225 for small-medium wave SUP foiling and light air winging, though I rode it today in 35 knots very comfortably.
Reading your latest session logs, this sounds like a great foil! I'm looking forward to taking it for a test drive in Newport this June! Hopefully I can get over to the Island before that, maybe a Long Beach session!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Yeah, the 1225 has really surprised me how versatile it is without feeling like it's compromising too much in any area. I SUPd it last weekend in my Armstrong board with far forward tracks and absolutely loved it in the 2-6' surf I was in. I'd love to see KT move their tracks even just a few inches forward to get the most out of the Armstrong/Lift type foils. I'm thinking the 1225 would have been perfect for the conditions we had at Newport for sure! Fingers crossed for more this summer.
Poultry in motion