Night rides with LEDs

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Night rides with LEDs

Post by AJSpencer »

What are thoughts on unlocking Winter evening sessions via battery-powered LED waterproof/submersible lights?
Inspired by Tituan’s Hong Kong lighted board and wing, I’m thinking at the very least some of those waterproof LED (super bright) headlamps on head and maybe harness.
But could go a step further and epoxy on some waterproof lights on the board itself as “headlights” and general visibility/being visible lights.
Strip lighting on wing really just looks cool but I guess would be more glare than visibility benefit.
Even in shoulder seasons, would be nice not to be forced off by sunset when the conditions are good.
I think it’d be pretty safe. Maybe some folks reporting UFOs. Any thoughts/concerns on this?
jim mckenzie

Re: Night rides with LEDs

Post by jim mckenzie »

I once windsurfed into the night at Tswwassen causeway until it was pitch black. I was surprised to find that without the visual reference of the water's surface it wasn't so great. Try sailing with your eyes closed and you might see what I mean. If you can't anticipate the bumps and hollows you have no infomation to work with. It was kind of boring as a result. I've considered lighting up the water with automobile headlights or some such thing. Something like the soccer field at Parkland School would be great.
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tweezer »

Bring a backup light/battery, and maybe a strobe in case a rescue is needed!
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Thanks for that Tweezer, so it can be done! I think the guy with the orange wing and the LED on the back of his board pointed downwards was much more visible in terms of understanding his location and board position/likely track than the other two with just headlamps. Mounted under the board like that wouldn't be glare for the 'pilot'. And much easier to see his jumps!
I remember sailing off Willows a few times when it got so dark you could only see the water in the reflected street lights. And Kus had a close encounter with a channel marking piling that night, but headlamps have really improved since. We had no lights on us at all, pretty stupid really!
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Not specific to night-riding, but didn't want to start a new topic -- what are thoughts on drysuits for wingfoiling? I've never used one. I understand they're not easy to swim in, not buoyant, and if a seal leaks and you're in the water they're dangerous for quickly losing heat. Being that we're tethered to two floaty (usually) things, each of which can independently be used to at least go downwind, are they a safe and better alternative to a wetsuit?
No good for windsurfing because you occasionally need to be able to swim quickly to get your rig if you lose hold in waves and the buoyancy of a wetsuit is a big safety net?
Please educate.
Thanks
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Just remembered Kus' mention of using a windbreaker over wetsuit when really cold. Actually that sounds like a better idea. Much more affordable, less maintenance, and safer. Will try that soon.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I'm winging dry now, I'd say I prefer it.
Definitely harder to swim but that isn't really a factor winging. I feel like I'm not as heavy and more flexible which definitely are big factors.
Highrocker
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Highrocker »

More drysuit stuff. Although I'm new to wingfoiling, I have been wingfoiling with a drysuit since end Sep 2022. Having come from whitewater SUP, I already had one so it was worth a winging try. I had previously successfully proven the concept for SUP surfing a couple of times at JR. Personally, it is now my go-to dress for cold weather winging. When everything works properly, I am significantly warmer than my wetsuited wing-pals and I can stay out much longer. True, they are less buoyant, but that's what my PFD is for and it has not been worrisome, even for a non-swimmer like me. Also true that if a seal leaks or you tear your suit, there is no neoprene redundancy for some wet warmth. You will have to judge the likelihood of danger based on the remoteness of your foiling location and your own past experience with kit damage. I cannot comment on drysuit use specifically for windsurfing use. I echo GrantMac's comments. There's 4 folks that I know of that consistently do drysuit wingfoiling. Here's a short vid with some of me with a drysuit. Please don't laugh too hard....

AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Awesome, great advice. I too am a non-swimmer so will PFD-up if I get a dry suit.
Thanks guys.