German couple on a big panamericana trip looking for some local people to meet / to surf with

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
AndreB

German couple on a big panamericana trip looking for some local people to meet / to surf with

Post by AndreB »

Hi everyone,
I am Andre from Germany and me and my girlfriend are currently doing in our gap-year a once-in-a-lifetime trip from Canada East Coast to Canada West Coast and then down south the Pacific West Coast to the south of South America.
I love to windsurf and I am trying to find nice conditions and nice people along our route.
The past 3-4 months we have been driving through Canada, are now for maybe for the next two weeks on Vancouver Island and I am wondering if there are some people around here who would like to meet for a session? I would love to meet some local people and get to know the local windsurf / surf scene 🙂
Mostly I am looking for wave conditions but I am also open for some freeriding somewhere 🙂
Aloha, Andre 🙂
Attachments
352288873_6534000423357893_7929488198416378788_n.jpg
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: German couple on a big panamericana trip looking for some local people to meet / to surf with

Post by KUS »

HI A- unfortunately this time of year the NW winds have stopped and the SE are just trying to get going. Usually this is doldrum season but we have had some lighter SE in Victoria and Nanaimo area sailing sites.

Keep your eyes on the forecast page by selecting "all" to see ahead a bit in the hope for another SE storm.

Once you arrive at the sites with wind (check map), you will find new friendly wind people.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: German couple on a big panamericana trip looking for some local people to meet / to surf with

Post by rvanderbyl »

Stop by the local spots if you're somewhere near Parksville. You'll want to check out Columbia beach and San Pareil. If there is any SE or NW wind respectively. Check the spot guide under the plus sign on the menu for locations. Hope to see you at the beach! 8)
Why aren't YOU out there?
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

And of course the south island has occasional low end wind (good for foiling though) even on sunny days like today. You should have been here a month or two ago! If you prone or SUP by surf driving west from Victoria you'll also find some south island spots and I'm sure you've heard about Tofino area.
AndreB

Post by AndreB »

Hi KUS, hi rvanderbyl, hi more force 4,
thank you all a lot for your replies and also for your recommendations!
I will definitely check the forecast page the next days! And I was also reading a lot in the spot guide, which is a really really helpful and detailed thing!

We have spend the last 1.5 weeks in Tofino and had a few good surfing days there.
I also had two windsurfing days in long beach, but I couldn't find any other windsurfers or Kiters in that area even though the Wind and waves were good. Also Chesterman Beach looked really big, but for sailing alone it looked too offshore / too dangerous for me.
We are currently in Nanaimo and in in a few days we will probably travel more north. Tomorrow it looks like around 15 knots in the area of Pipers Lagoon. Maybe this could work for a Freeride Session together with my girlfriend.
In the next days I also want to have a look at Columbia Beach and the other beaches around Nanaimo / Nanoose Bay / Parksville and who knows maybe some stronger SE Wind might come one day?

If you are driving somewhere for windsurfing / kiting I would love to join you, so please feel free to give me a hint :)

Andre