Knotty boy

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Choque

Knotty boy

Post by Choque »

Found a knot in one of my kite lines right up at the end by the loop point. Unfortunately noticed after riding on it, so its in there pretty tight. Spent two days soaking it in water hoping to loosen off and gently picked at it with a small flat head screwdriver trying to loosen the knot, No success. Any words of advice? How much will this knot decrease the strenght of my lines? My fishermen friends let me know the importance of unknotted lines, don't wanna lose the big one or that expensive lure! Any help/advice would be appreciated :)
Armstrong

Knot in lines

Post by Armstrong »

Depends on a few things. Sometimes picking at the knot can weaken it more than the knot itself!
What kind of lines?
Front or back line?
Kite size?
Options--ride in fear, get new lines, shorten all lines

Don
JL

Post by JL »

Your fishy friends are correct. Under load a knot will melt your line. Try using a large needle from a heavy duty sewing kit. I carry a few in my repair kit. Gently pry the knot apart. If you have destroyed your line then you need to resleeve your line set. Google 'line sleeving' & get some craft wire & eighth inch line. Remove the 'core' of the line and use ~ 18 inch lengths of line. I'll see if I can find a 'link'. http://www.windwizard.com/knots.html http://www.powerline-sports.com/knots.html
Thermals are good.
Choque

Post by Choque »

Thanks for the replies. The knot is on one of the back steering lines of an older Naish Aero (2002? 2001?) 16m.
mossman

Post by mossman »

I have had the same thing happen to me- I used two needles from a sewing kit(large) and used then in each loop to work against each other with in an hour i got the kot out.
ChrisH

knot

Post by ChrisH »

Try chewing it, gently. Worked for me.

Chris
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

typically every time you put a knot in a rope it decreases the strenght of that rope by half, so if you are using q-power and its strength is rated 600lbs then cut that in half. Keep in mind you also have knots (if your using q-power) for your ends as well so........
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!

Post by Guest »

Try working dish soap into the knot it has worked for me everytime
greg

Post by greg »

definatley get the knot out or replace or shorten your lines.DO NOT RIDE IN FEAR.if not for your saftey for those around you. i have found in my experience that you can usually chew it untill it loosens, i dont mean aimlessly chewing on it but actually working on the knot itself with my front teeth.this works great in the feild. if you cant get it out right away hopefully if your at the beach a you have a second bar ready to go.if you still cant get it out stick 1 then 2 needles when there is enough room to get them both in through the knot you may not have to use the second needle
but slowly work it loose carefull not to chow the line to badly or hopfully not at all.a line with a little wear will last a lot longer than one with a knot in it.

cheers greg :lol: