AFRICAN Kitesurfing!

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
CanadianKiter

AFRICAN Kitesurfing!

Post by CanadianKiter »

Hi all,

Off to Africa for some volunteering and kitesurfing! Anyone got any suggestions besides south africa where crime is violent and the sharks are as common as kiters???!!!

Kevin
Schooled

Post by Schooled »

South Africa!

Not all the areas have high crime and lots of sharks, and the country is so damn beautiful. Go to the east coast, Cape Town is astounding, some of the wine growing regions are good, avoid Durban + Johnesburg and surrounding areas. Stayed in Plettenburg bay, good surfing, winds ?, no kitesurfing at the time. Great Whites took a surfer two weeks after we left but apparently thats unheard of.

Disclaimer: This info is 6 years out of date.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Cape Town - no question. The Summer (our winter) has reliable SE winds. Blouberg beach is kitesurfing and windsurfing paradise, but there are so many beaches there - you will have no problem finding places to kite.

As a sidebar, I remember seeing guys dragging themselves across the shorebreak with "powerkites" in the early 90's in capetown - without boards and a long time before I ever saw kiteboarding.

The crime sucks, but the wine, cheap reastaurants and beaches are awesome. Have a blast.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Cape Town/Port Elizabeth. Both have very predictable winds and great kiting spots. PE has warmer water than CT, but CT is by far the better destnation. It is worth a trip up the east coast to PE, with lots of good spots inbetween. Sharks are more of an issue from East London towards Durban. Common sense prevails with sharks. Ask the locals, and if you get any cuts or are bleeding, get out the water imediately. For better information, go to the links section on this site, under kiteboarding, follow the ikiteboarding link. It is a South African online kiteboarding magazine.

http://www.ikiteboarding.com/

This link has lots of info.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
Canadian kiter

thanks

Post by Canadian kiter »

thanks for the great information on south africa. that's about what i figured............makes me all the more sure it will be a destination!

anyone been up the east coast of africa???

Kevin
Schooled

Post by Schooled »

Only as far up as the top of Namibia. Very dry desert coast, few towns and generally just raw surf on the beach. Rough conditions, but beautiful if you like the desert or sand dunes.

Tyler from bosun's went there and kited I heard.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Namibia is on the West Coast (as is Cape Town). The East Coast includes Port Elizabeth, East London, Durban, and all the way upt to Mocambique. I lived north of Durban - water is "tropical"; beaches are steeper, sand is coarser, waves more knarly (pound for pound, IMHO).

There is great surf up theWest Coast - Elands Bay has a beautiful point break that peels away for miles. I can never remember whether it is a left or right - when you are on the wave you are surfing left.

The Cape guys sometimes say they won't swim near Durban because there are more sharks, but the Durban guys remind them False Bay is a Great White breeding ground.

Check out this video of a crazy dude swimming with Great Whites in the Cape.

http://www.towsurfingadventures.com/videos.php

It is the "White Sharks" video