where to learn kite surfing

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
eyedog

where to learn kite surfing

Post by eyedog »

I am looking for kite surfing lessons with all the gear provided in Vansouver or BC. Any help?

Re: where to learn kite surfing

Post by Guest »

eyedog wrote:I am looking for kite surfing lessons with all the gear provided in Vansouver or BC. Any help?
A couple of years ago I got some lessons at Boundary Bay from a guy named Fergus. At the time I think he could be contacted through North Shore Ski & Sail in Vancouver. I think the price was $100/hr for two of us. It sounds expensive but I thought better to spend a few dollars to see if I liked it before unloading several hundreds on equipment. Also, I was up and going at the end of the lesson and I was aware of the safety issues! He gave good instruction and took the price of the lesson off the used equipment I bought.
mshepard

Re: where to learn kite surfing

Post by mshepard »

eyedog wrote:I am looking for kite surfing lessons with all the gear provided in Vansouver or BC. Any help?
Check out www.kitesurfer.ca. Certified lessons will be offered at Nitinat on a fairly regular basis, and includes all the latest Ocean Rodeo gear. If you get three people together we will consider coming over to Squamish. We will also have some Tofino and Comox dates this summer. Do you have a trainer? It is a really good idea to put in some hours flying a kite before hitting the water. Let me know if you are interested and I'll hook you up.
Tyler Adams

Lessons

Post by Tyler Adams »

Ive been teaching kiteboarding in BC for three years. My school is starting lessons this week. You can contact me at or check out my web site. Go to www.thebosunslocker.com link to kiteboarding then link to lessons.
josh lewis l4kitecore

Post by josh lewis l4kitecore »

www.l4kitecore.com

may be more options in your learning.

lower mainland is my best knowledge and would love to help any way possable.

ride hard die free???
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

Chris and Nicole have returned from teaching in South Africa and we are raring to go for another season.

Check out http://www.kitesurfer.ca

See you at the beach!
BUYER BEWARE

KITE LESSONS

Post by BUYER BEWARE »

BUYER BEWARE>>>SOME INSTUCTORS BETTER THAN OTHERS>>>MY FREIND GOT RIPPED LAST YEAR>>>>>ASK AROUND AND SEE IF THEY HAVE A JETSKI OR A BOAT TO FOLLOW SO YOU CAN WORRY LESS ABOUT FLOATING AWAY AND MORE ON KITING>>>>>>LESSONS ARE VERY VALUABLE IF PROPERLY GIVEN>>>>WE HEAR CONSTANTLY IN CARRIBEAN< HAWWAII>>>AND MAGAZIES OF CRAPY LESSONS>>>>>ALSO I WOULD INSIST ON TAKING LESSONS ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS FOR BETTER INSTRUCTIONS>>>>>>HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE>>>
tam

Post by tam »

Lesson in Maui = TOTAL CRAP!

But from what I have seen here in Victoria, instructors are very attentive, responsible and give good value for money.

I would not hesitate to recommend any of the instructors here to those wishing to learn kitesurfing.

PS: In my humble opinion, lessons should be mandatory unless you have a very skilled kiter instructing you!! Even then, I am sure most people would rather be on the water than trying to teach a newbie how not to take out bystanders or other kiters. Kiting is a diffucult sport to learn, and probably more difficult to instruct, best left up to those with certification for teaching!

as you were.
jlaffin

Post by jlaffin »

Lesson in Maui = TOTAL CRAP!
This is so true. I got seriously ripped off when I took a lesson at Kite Beach a few years ago. It was cool to be taught by Felix Pivec (now pro), but the instruction and school setup was crap. A giant money making scheme! Never take lessons from the Kiteboarding School of Maui! He just sat on the beach as I almost drowned out in the water. Plus, I missed like the first hour of the lesson because you're not allowed on the water before 11a.m. They didn't extend the lesson. Be warned, take lessons locally.

Julian
new kiter

lessons

Post by new kiter »

Do either/any of the companies in victoria/squamish have boats to help with saftey if I take lessons.
mshepard

Re: lessons

Post by mshepard »

new kiter wrote:Do either/any of the companies in victoria/squamish have boats to help with saftey if I take lessons.
Hey new kiter. We keep a sit-on-top kayak downwind
but have the zodiac available by request. Here is somebody spraying the crew at last years kiting competition in Squamish

Give us a call at 250 883-4389 for more info or check out
http://www.kitesurfer.ca

More kayak action:

See you at the beach!
new kiter

lessons

Post by new kiter »

no motor boat...what do you mean a kayak downwind...do i sail to the kayak and ditch the gear......and you go get it...sounds sketchy...
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

As mentioned we are happy to bring the boat if required. We have successfully run the lessons with the kayak. It should be noted they are sit-on-top kayaks, very stable and easy to get on and off, even in windy conditions. We designate a spot downwind where the students should come in. The kayak sits about 50 m downwind from that spot. If there are issues such as the kite crashing, the instructor simply paddles out to the student. We have found it to be quite easy. We have rescued people quite far out on the lake (not our students!) when the wind has died. A water pack down is performed and the student either climbs on the boat and paddles or hangs on to the rear strap.