Mast step location

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Schooled

Mast step location

Post by Schooled »

I've been fiddling around with a windsurfer in Cadboro Bay. I can get going, and pick up a bit of speed, but I have trouble turning downwind. I think I need to lean the mast forward along the line of the board, but that feels very unstable and awkward.

What I'm wondering is where the mast step and fin should be located along their track. Will that make much of a difference?

How high should the boom be on the mast?

It's not a beginner board so no daggerboard but it does float so I can uphaul.

Thanks.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Mast step location

Post by more force 4 »

Schooled wrote:turning downwind. I think I need to lean the mast forward along the line of the board, but that feels very unstable and awkward.
What size/model board, sail, your weight would help the answer. I'm guessing you are in quite light winds with a small sail (?) for the board. Turning downwind in light winds can be difficult at first, make sure you keep sheeting in as the turn is initiated, that will keep the centre of effort of the sail forward and help bring the nose down. You can also swivel the board with pressure from both feet to help turn it. Balance against the sail, and be ready to sheet out as you turn downwind to keep from backwinding/stalling the sail. Be ready to step back on the board a bit, even as you start the turn, it both helps the nose come downwind, and lets you lean against the pressure of the sail.

If you keep turning downwind, you can turn right round in a gybe. In fact, you don't need to even flip the sail (for a little while anyway), but sail clew-first facing the new direction. Just keep the booms exactly the same direction relative to the wind right the way round. Pick up a little speed in the new direction then flip the sail. I was just re-watching Dasher's 12 step gybe dvd (Highly recommended!) and he goes over light wind pivot gybes in detail. If you learn these properly you will be well on the way to making planing gybes, since all the last parts of the gybe are the same.

Whenever in doubt, leave the mast at the centre of the track.
Last edited by more force 4 on Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigD
Website Donor
Website Donor

Turning Downwind

Post by BigD »

Check out the 'sailing downwind' section here:

http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~wprin ... index.html

It's almost summer and the caddy bay windsurfing club put on by coastal watersports should start making an appearance in June. You should be able to get some friendly advice from them.

Good luck!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Hey, there's tons of instructional stuff on the links area and in general on the net. Typically depending on the board I guess:

Mast track: center to forward if underpowered, back for speed and control
Fin box: forward for control, back for speed and loose feel (not where you are at) 8)

Yes, try Coastal Watersports :P
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....