Kiteboat

A place to discuss anything non-weather and non-wind/kitesurf related. Generally unmoderated, but rules are enforced on occasion => you can get suspended or kicked out and messages can get deleted.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Kiteboat

Post by AJSpencer »

Considering taking on a project of an unusual power boat and converting it to electric, for noise and air quality mostly, but also for the other reasons. But range is still low until ~5 years from now when batteries will make another big jump in tech. But the nice thing of doing a sailboat is you can sail and the turning prop can top up the batteries, or you can motor sail and make good speed with very little energy.
But powerboats suck and are useless without their motors. Except for this possibility: http://www.kite-boat-systems.com/index. ... 84&lang=en
Now... no prices are shown and you need to contact them for quote so obviously way out of my budget. But I was surprised to learn that freighters and other big ships use similar systems and actually reduce fuel consumption by up to 20% or something so that is cool. https://skysails-group.com/index.html
Maybe there will be a more mainstream and affordable product soon, but I’m wondering what any kiters may think of the idea. All videos I’ve seen have been going downwind. Do you think a reach or even slightly upwind possible for a powerboat with small rudder and minor keel?
Once a kite is “trimmed” where you want it, can you basically leave the controls where they are and the kite will more or less sail where you have it or do kites need to be frequently trimmed/controlled to be where you want it to be.
The “computer” controlling the kites in some of the videos really looks like its just keeping the kite up in the sky, and maybe this is why they’re all just going downwind.
Anyways, any thoughts from experienced kiters on it? A fun way to extend range/lower fuel costs for powerboaters or just not gonna happen?
Can you see any way a control bar could be “harnessed” to the boat and the skipper can steer the boat while trimming the kite at same time?
Yes I reckon the possibility of running over the lines after the kite plummets and fouling the prop or rudder. I guess these auto systems have an auto reeler to prevent that.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

A sailboat hull will be much more efficient at the slower speeds of electric drive.
Consider this project:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 9&t=108411
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

lol awesome video. After extensive research I've decided to stick with diesel, but will do a solar/house battery project for everything else. More just curious how a kite would work from basically maybe 2-3 knots headway for fun. But I'm guessing more work than its worth unless you're wealthy and can afford thing like the skysail thing.
A boat without a sail is pretty depressing. :lol:
But I've found around the Gulf Islands I power most of the time, and the upkeep of a rig and all the moving parts is substantial if you're not using it all the time, which I wasn't, so sailboat sold.
Gulf Island power lounge project commencing next month. 8)
It'll be something almost as cool as this:
https://www.arctic-lifeboat.com/
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I've spent weeks sailing the Gulf Islands without using the motor, guess it's just a matter of how hard you want to work.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Ya, or how long you want to take. With my luck its always on the nose. And I've really only been going out in fair weather for the sake of the rest of my family so generally no or very localized wind when I've been out the past 5+ years.
Once they're a bit older... then its adventure time.

Anyways, wonder how a kite would work if attached to a slow boat. Guess I'll just have to try it some day. Or not. :lol: