Cook Street Camera Angle

We want your feedback: comments, complaints and suggestions for the website

Kite Kook

Cook Street Camera Angle

Post by Kite Kook »

Hey Dave,

I am stuck at home right now, forced to watch rather than kite :( . Anyway, I was wondering if it is time to change the Cook Cam angle to face towards race rocks?

I know you like it facing more south when the sun is low. It is just that I am trying to watch the kiters and they are usually mostly out of range on the W and WSW like right now.

I also like to see what is coming in.

Great work on the Gordos cams. This site never seems to stop improving, so thanks for all the hard work!

Cheers,

Paul
Vive et Ama
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

on the other hand, there still is a fair amount of glare, so perhaps this isn't the, uh, brightest suggestion...
Vive et Ama
Germ

Post by Germ »

I can see a kiter right now. Just have to wait for the right timing. Better than staring into the sun.

Chris
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: Cook Street Camera Angle

Post by bwd »

Kook St. Kite Kook wrote: I was wondering if it is time to change the Cook Cam angle to face towards race rocks?
Hi KSKK:

Good suggestion and yep there is a lot of glare on the water even at the current location. Today it looks like there was bad glare from about 2pm until 4pm. I have a polarizer on the lens already and its frustrating to see such a bad picture since its very hard to read the water when its like that. If I face it up towards Race Rocks like last year then the glare would be there from maybe 3pm until after 5 or so. So I'm not sure what the best solution is, other then a new location that looked downwind instead of up and into the sun.

Maybe someone has an idea...

dave
Kite Kook

cook cam angle

Post by Kite Kook »

well, if no one else thinks so, I should let this go. Just thought we could compromise a bit in these lightest months of the year to have it face the main area. We can still catch glimpes of the action when it is SW, but most of the kiting/windsurfing takes place further to the right of the cam.

I find it easier to gage the windspeed by looking at the kiters and windsurfers than looking at the water texture, as I often know the kites and riders and can judge the wake to estimate wind strength.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? :?:
Vive et Ama
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: cook cam angle

Post by bwd »

Kook St. Kite Kook wrote:well, if no one else thinks so, I should let this go. Just thought we could compromise a bit in these lightest months of the year to have it face the main area.
ok KSKK I moved the cam upwind a bit and also raised it up so we don't spy on people on the pathway (over time it had lowered a little).

Regarding the comments about getting rid of the wide angle...well it's not that simple. I thought about moving the house closer but thats a lot of work. Actually the zoom controls are all relative and I can't get it to move to a certain setting. I could get it to zoom out then in one step I guess, but I'd rather not since the camera is busy enough already. The wide angle is useful for sky conditions and seeing if there are kites on the water. I've been tracking the zoom button hits over the past week and the Image button is actually the most often hit one...
dave
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

you can....track the zoom button hits?? :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Not only number of hits, but also where all they came from.
Cancer must die!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Yep

Post by bwd »

KUS wrote:you can....track the zoom button hits?? :lol:
Yep I see all. If you are interested in seeing how active the Cook camera is check here:
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/zoomurls.txt

Today it had 72 zoom button hits, 30 (42%) were to the wide angle :shock:
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

Russian Guy wrote:Not only number of hits, but also where all they came from.
da man is always watchin'
JL

Post by JL »

He views Kook Kam in his left Sunglass lens & 'forum' in his right.
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

ya know, Joe Public non-sailor kite flyer uses these cams so can you say with confidence the wide angle is used by your primary target group (dare I say) of kiters and wsurfers? :?: If not, maybe covering the button with something on the page so it's less visible might be an answer to constantly coming to the wide angle view which I must say is really annoying, especially b4 when my firefost wasn't letting me update/refresh. thx for the fix suggestion BTW, now it's fine. 8) Kus
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

OK, so we can hunt down the 'wide angle' enthusiasts. Damn license plate spotters. "Look, that truck is from Montana!" University of Guelph Library, heh? We know you are there, you will be reported to your supervisor for non-appropriate web site access....
Wide Angle

Post by Wide Angle »

I believe the wide angle is being used to see up wind to see if anyone is on the water. This is a better indicater of what is going on than zooming in on a small chunk of water. Can we get it pointed up wind a little then I can stop hitting -- all the time. Thanks
Wide Angle

Post by Wide Angle »

Someone out there ROCKS! Ask and ye shall receive.