Sabfoil Kraken System

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Sabfoil Kraken System

Post by Tsawwassen »

Thoughts?

AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Sabfoil Kraken System

Post by AJSpencer »

I really like the idea of a quick release. Would be cool to have a no-tool-required design so you can quickly detach/attach right at water’s edge.
Euro Pin. 8-[
MtnarG
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by MtnarG »

I really like the idea. It would be much easier for air travel than my current mast with the plate attached. The quick connect / quick release would be nice for taking gear in the car. Too bad it is not compatible with the current fuselage
Swangtang

Post by Swangtang »

Idono seems kinda gimmicky to me, how many people are going to fork out for multiple masts and fuses for a quick wing switch when conditions change?
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

I'm more thinking when I'm done and its super windy, the trip from shore to rigging area, that's when I've had the wind catch my rig and do the most damage to foil and board, so being able to detach right there, can more safely bring board and foil assembly back.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Willing to bet it has to be perfectly clean and lubricated to function all to gain maybe 10 seconds. No thanks.
smartang

Post by smartang »

It has nothing to do with the quick release. It's part a sales tactic. But mostly because the hardcore freestyle guys like Balz and future champ RickyZ are breaking their masts and sheering the m6 fuse bolts. And they're sick of warranty claims I'm guessing. I have hairline fractured a gen1 m82 mast. Still works fine for freeride. But I was sending it on big foils and big boards and crashing hard sideways.

Listen to the progression project with the project cedrus guy. Carbon has much less strength in the curve between the mast base and mast strut. This pure straight carbon with alu plate joint mast fixed both problems, and is stiffer and faster (thinner) than their reinforced surf masts.

Lots of last years Moses/Sab gear will be on the market soon. :wink:
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

It does have some benefits but I find with the Sabfoil gear any metal is asking for trouble. Smartang brings up a good point about the strength though, so there is a benefit there if you are buying a new setup. It would be nice to have 2 mast plates on different boards for making a quick switch. Would come in handy at the lake going form wakesurf to winging with just one foil. I'm worried though that they have discontinued the 700 high strength fuse. I have the 710 and was hoping they were going to come out with some other options but instead they've scrapped everything. I can't see it on their website anymore.
smartang

Post by smartang »

The old style sab/moses masts have pleanty of metal in them. Xray Moses mast:
https://kiteforum.com/download/file.php ... &mode=view

Have you seen the custom stringy moses fuse. Multiple tail position and mast placement options. What more could you ask for.
https://www.mackiteboarding.com/custom- ... -fuselage/
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

smartang wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:07 pm Have you seen the custom stringy moses fuse. Multiple tail position and mast placement options. What more could you ask for.
https://www.mackiteboarding.com/custom- ... -fuselage/
Thanks smartang, that looks interesting, I can't see if it uses M6 or M8 screws for the front wing?
smartang

Post by smartang »

It's an older design, so M6 which is what you have with the 710. But if you want to be sure email Tucker at Mackite. He's the guy that does all their youtube reviews, but he's also really good about answering email questions.