Foiling Spinout

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Foiling Spinout

Post by Bobson »

My last 2 sessions I’ve experienced foil spin out. Feels very similar to fin spinout. I’ve googled it but nothing too helpful. When it happens I usually sheet out and it stops although at the end of my last session it was happening when I turned downwind starting my gybe.
I’m thinking one of the foils or mast or fuse isn’t smooth so airation is happening perhaps. I will put on a different mast, fuse and foils and see if it continues. Then add my current setup one by one to see where the issue is.

If anyone has had or has heard about the same issue please let me know.

Thanks!
BOBSON!!
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Foiling Spinout

Post by Tsawwassen »

Bobson wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:46 am If anyone has had or has heard about the same issue please let me know.
I've had this happen a few times. The last time was with a brand new front wing and stab. A few times it was from a small piece of eelgrass.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I was getting some weird stall/spinout feelings yesterday, mostly after going through the tide lines where debris concentrated. I thought I picked up some weed on the foil (instead of on the way home at a cannabis store :lol: ) but it cured itself after a short while each time.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Which foot do you have more pressure on when it happens?
smartang

Post by smartang »

Can't speak for windfoiling, but Gunnar says spinout is usually the mast. Something like sunscreen residue can cause it. The cheapest test is cleaning your foil and mast with alcohol or cheap blue windshield washer fluid.

I've also noticed some squirrelyness closer to the water's surface when it's solid whitecaps or in the flat water behind a big boat.