Early Nitinat sessions

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Slickmick
Website Donor
Website Donor

Early Nitinat sessions

Post by Slickmick »

Hey all,

How early in the year do people head out to test out the conditions at Nininat? I mean I guess it's obvious just to look at the forecast but I was also thinking about the road conditions out there at this time of the year going into March. I've never been there so I'm not sure what really to expect. I'm doing my best to get out on the water around Vic and upper island but winter doesn't seem to be so beginner-intermediate friendly as I've found lol. So definitely looking forward to Nitinat! From what I hear it's pretty appealing to my skill level and hopefully board size (160L). Thanks to all the guys that have given me advice and the spot guide has been great too. Look forward to any other advice other guys have for a beginner out here. I live in Duncan and commute to Vic during the week so that's makes it nice for some after work sessions.

Cheers
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Early Nitinat sessions

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Back in the day, it used to be as early as March for some people, definitely April, of course all depending on weather and forecast...however it's no longer a public Forestry site and is now part of DItidaht lands. The access to the campsite and day use is probably not open, officially it's not until May long weekend, so you'd need to check with the Band for access if prior to campsite/day use opening.
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
tom

Post by tom »

I was up near there 2 weeks ago in a company truck. The road holes are deep and dark. I wouldnt take my own vehicle up there yet until there has been significant grading.
Slickmick
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Slickmick »

Just looking at the forecast for Thurs/Friday... looks like it might be worth checking out?! maybe?? Anyone know if it would be worth parking at the boat launch and launching from there? Sounds like its a hard "No" for campsite day use before the May long weekend.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bobson »

Hey Mick,

Nitinaht camp not open yet but China Creek is open. It's not as dependable as Nitinaht in the shoulder season but definite chance of wind there this weekend. Road is being upgraded and it was only a 7-8 minute drive on gravel and the road has always been pretty good so hoping better now with the upgrade. Wind usually comes a bit later and not quite as strong as Nitinaht but nice for learning and flat water. Hope that helps. I also believe they have day-use (if they have room) for $10/day. Probably a phone call to them is a good idea to confirm.
Good Times,
BOBSON!!