Woss Lake

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
downwind dave

Woss Lake

Post by downwind dave »

Woss Lake is oriented north-south so it blows when theres systems coming in and over the pass from Tahsis. When i sailed there there was no wind at all in Woss, and i could see it was raining hard at the south end of the lake. if you get rained out at Nimpkish it just might be blowing at Woss Lake. its just 15 min off the highway so you may as well check it on the way south. Go past the Woss gas station, down the hill and turn left to cross the train tracks by the WFP office. then left and follow the tracks untill you cross the Nimpkish bridge. bear right (dont turn left) after the bridge. then follow the main road out to Woss Lake in a km or 2. Bypass the campground and continue down the east side of the lake untill you see some shacks and cabins with nice access. not much space to put up a kite though. Woss vegas is 1.5 hrs north of Campbell River. good luck! :D
Last edited by downwind dave on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Woss Lake

Post by Guest »

downwind dork wrote:if you get rained out at Nimpkish it just might be blowing at Woss Lake
if you're getting "rained out" at nimpkish, then you're there at the wrong time
if it's good weather[N. Pacific High] then there really is NO reason to go to woss lake
if anything you'ld have a better chance of sailing a southeast in McNeill or Hardy if it's rainy

seriously though, i wouldn't even think about heading to Nimpkish unless the weather is set up right

good luck !
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

hope you're jokin' :)

Post by KUS »

thanks for sharing your insights Dave. I for one appreciate finding out about any alternative sailing venues 8)

and, not knowing if inside jokes are going on or not :?: , don't appreciate annon guests calling others names :evil: unless in good fun abuse, but would love to hear about McNeill & Hardy launch sites on any SE :D . I have sailed out of Port Alice in Neroutsos (sp?) inlet but big windshadow near shore, sucked a bit. Launch sites there are the waterfront park and the boat launch. :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
~ pimp hand ~

Re: hope you're jokin' :)

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

KUS wrote:but would love to hear about McNeill & Hardy launch sites on any SE :D
i think i mighta covered these spots before in another thread ...

McNeill you launch just in front of ferry dock but beware of ferrys, in fact if ferry shows up come in and wait for it to leave again, otherwise the get kinda choked when you sail near them(they've called cops on me before) so give'em lotsa room!

in Hardy there's a really good spot to launch by the airport(can't remember road name tho) easy to find

if your kiting i would recomend a spot just north of McNeill ... i think it's called Broughten Straight campground(and beach) has a lot more room for dealing with kite lines

Pulteney point(McNeill) and Scarlett Point(Hardy) are the 2 lighthstations http://weatheroffice.pyr.ec.gc.ca/marin ... ort_e.html to estimate what wind is doing
downwind dork

Post by downwind dork »

online abuse is always good fun! :twisted:
LeeL

Post by LeeL »

About time you got some sailing in Dave. I'm open for weekend of Jul 23 - 24
--------
All my surf gear lives in Cobble Hill
Starboard Steve

Post by Starboard Steve »

Sounds good guys. I'm in for a July Raft Cove trip. We'll hit Woss Lake on our way back down.
dwd

Post by dwd »

:P well ok...can we discuss this over beers some time in june!