Which trainer kite would you buy?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
keith

Which trainer kite would you buy?

Post by keith »

Hi,

i am new to the sport and looking to get a trainer kite to start with. I tried a 3m 3 line airush the other day and was impressed by it. Was wondering if there is one a little bit stronger to pull me around a bit. I am 6'7" and 250lbs.

one more question. Do you need to have the 3rd line for self launching or can you do that with a 2 line kite (u need help launching the 2 line right) .

should i stick to the 3 metre or up it to a 4 line?

on a side note: before i flew the airush i had considered buying a t-foil trainer off ebay for $60....im sure you get what you pay for eh....anyone know anyone who have tried one of these?

thanks

keith
Schooled

Post by Schooled »

I've only flown the 2 line 2 meter airush trainer. I've watched people try and fly the (ocean rodeo?) 4 line trainers but they weren't having any luck while I had plenty of wind for the airush. It looked like the LEI type trainers don't fly well.

I learnt lots off the airush trainer and highly recommend it. Don't worry about the pull, you won't get that much till you body drag with a smaller kite on water. Make sure you take lessons, no question they are a must for learning. Tyler Adams gave me good lessons and you get free use of an airush trainer for several weeks with them. Contact bosuns locker about lessons with him. I hear the other schools are good too.

Post by newbie »

I like my OR trainer . Flys great and teaches ( hence the word trainer) you the importance of line lengths , sheeting,self launching ,landing, etc. Foil trainers only teach you left and right steering ,something you master in about 5 minutes and then you progress past them- fun to fly but teach you very little about what you have to deal with when you get a bigger kite. Get ahold of Dwayne at Strong Kiteboarding. He`s the only one around teaching professional lessons , he has all the gear and will take you where the wind is.
mossman

Re: Which trainer kite would you buy?

Post by mossman »

keith wrote:Hi,

i am new to the sport and looking to get a trainer kite to start with. I tried a 3m 3 line airush the other day and was impressed by it. Was wondering if there is one a little bit stronger to pull me around a bit. I am 6'7" and 250lbs.

one more question. Do you need to have the 3rd line for self launching or can you do that with a 2 line kite (u need help launching the 2 line right) .

should i stick to the 3 metre or up it to a 4 line?

on a side note: before i flew the airush i had considered buying a t-foil trainer off ebay for $60....im sure you get what you pay for eh....anyone know anyone who have tried one of these?

thanks

keith

Kite reviews

http://www.racekites.com/reviews/reviews.asp

I have the Eolo Radsail Pro 2 - 3m 4 line which is used for traction buggy racing.
Great power for its size – I’m 200 lbs and today it was dragging me 10-20 feet each sweep. I paid about 140. usa – complete - for it off of eBay (new) list is 300.
here is the link if interested...http://www.radsails.com/
x3

Post by x3 »

yeah the 4 line trainer is the one! it will also cross-over to a snow kite later on if you move into that when the snow comes (and its windy).

as already mentioned the 4 lines and LEI are what you are working with once you progress so a foil is irrelevant after 5 mins! (unless you want to buggy? or kiteboard??).

also you can fold the lines in half and recconnect them and that will help you to fly in light winds, and at places that you may have limited space. you can competantly learn water restarts/self launching and even body drag when the wind is crankin.....and when you get up your big kite it all works the same, just slower (b/c bigger kites dont turn as fast a smaller ones) so you take a bigger step in the progression of the step learning curve.

add it up its probably worth spending a little more on the 4 line, they are also more re-saleable. i used them to teach for many years downunder its what works best.....if you have the $$$ to spend a weekend taking lessons you can proress straight to your big kite....the 2/3 hundy you spend on a trainer kite may be better spent on pro lessons.....and you can aviod this whole dilemma!! its so worth the lessons bro!! you will save money!!!
jump higher - hang longer