waterstarting

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
chewy

waterstarting

Post by chewy »

I need some tips on waterstarting. I was out today but don't dare to venture to far out as I just can't get up waterstarting. I go one way and the board usually goes the other, or I get launched over the nose. Either way I do some windsurfing, when I beach start, and a lot of trying to waterstart/ swimming getting back to shore. A least it kept me warm today as I have to work so hard. Any feedback or tips would be appreciated.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

My two bits - I was where you are about two summers ago. Waterstarting without worrying about it too much is the greatest confidence builder! First, I hope you are at a location with side-onshore wind - you never want to have much offshore at this stage. Also, can you body drag back to the beach? Just flying the sail and trying to get dragged beside your board?

If you get launched forewards, you probably have the board pointed too far downwind for the conditions, and you may be trying to come up too quickly. A tip from some old-timers at Nitinat helped me a lot - they said clear the sail, fly it close to the water, with the board pointed a little downwind from a beam reach. Then try moving the mast forewards and backwards and see if you can feel where the most pressure is. This should be the 'sweet spot', and its location will change with wind strength and sail downhaul/outhaul. When you have the sweet spot, extend both arms and it should pull you straight up. Try to hang straight down of the booms and pull the board underneath you with the back foot. Keep your head looking down between your knees until you are pretty much up. If you look up at the booms/sail you probably will go over backwards. In lots of wind you may find you can start with both feet on the board. Also try pointing the board a little more upwind at the start if you feel overpowered/launched.

Anyway, there are endless tips in the magazines and boards, and on the beach if anyone else is around.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

waterstarting

Post by Bobson »

Hey Chewy, I was having problems as well....was practicing last summer up at Nitnat for probably 2-3 hours straight one day....just couldn't get it...then one day I got one. I had lowered the boom and rigged big(overpowered) and got up and it was the best feeling :lol: . I'm still not great when the wind is light and haven't got the 1 footed thing yet but can do the two footed thing. What worked for me was to watch a waterstart video over and over and over and watch guys/gals out there doing it over and over and over. I going to chalk my success to the same as everything else in life, Practice enough and you'll get good at it!

Also, having someone there to watch and give you tips helps loads. Thanks Grant! Pretty much everyone out there is willing to give someone learning helpful hints! Good luck and keep at it.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

One of the big diffs between plodders like myself :oops: and good windsurfers is the length of time that elapses between a fall and a waterstart. I seem to spend minutes swimming things around, pulling the booms over the tail, bodydrag gybing the board and sail to get it on the right tack, pulling the booms over the tail again, etc. The sailors who miss their grubby 540 or whatever seem to clear the sail and go almost instantly, often clew first.

Are there any tricks to clearing the sail and waterstarting clew first? Or other 'advanced waterstart' tips?
Thanks