women's harnesses

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
speedy

women's harnesses

Post by speedy »

To fellow women kiters: I need to buy a kiting harness and would appreciate feedback on ones that fit and perform well for skinny little females. I've looked online at some seat harnesses, as I find waist harnesses not that comfortable from my windsurfing days. Can I put a new kite bar on my windsurfing harness?
local loves kitechicks

harness

Post by local loves kitechicks »

YES,YOU CAN USE YOUR WINDSURFING HARNESS KITESURFING. 8)
func

Post by func »

Well, yes you can use a windsurfing harness, but it's not always so great. If you're light, it probably doesn't matter. I learned to kite on a windsurfing harness, and the spreader bar kept getting torn off all the time - I remember having to dive underwater after a sinking spreader bar, then try and put it back together offshore. Luckily the water was warm and clear.

My friend borrowed a windsurfing harness when we were in Diego Garcia from the Brits, and he lost his kite when the spreader bar blew off - his leash was also attached to the spreader bar. When we recovered the kite, the spreader bar was still hanging on the chicken loop! Luckily those millitary types are accustomed to carnage - they didn't mind him wrapping his kite on their mooring buoys. They even gave him a free ride back to the dock!

But, if you're light, it'll probably work. Dakine makes a few women's models, my sis likes the Storm. Best to try it on and hang from a hook for a bit; everyone's different.