Tangled kite lines

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Didn't_pay_attention

Tangled kite lines

Post by Didn't_pay_attention »

My brother and I flew a trainer at Long Beach on Thursday in 3-0 conditions (pretty intense) but it took us forever to untangle the kite lines. The wind kept blowing the lines around as we were un-spooling them from the bar until they became a tangled mess.

I am sure there are tricks to prevent or at least reduce this problem.

Advice or a link would be appreciated!
JL

Post by JL »

If you have a helper have him/her hold the ends of the lines as they are walked out. VERY windy if your lines are being blown about how ever...Be cautious !!! Another option is to anchor your lines with a rock/sand or a log...
Thermals are good.
Didn't_pay_attention

Post by Didn't_pay_attention »

Thanks JL - we did anchor the lines but still ended up with a bunch of tangles.

It was extremely windy, the wind was gusting at times enough to push me along without a sail. I wouldn't have been able to handle the kite in those conditions - it was my brother who did the flying. No one was on the beach except our group (all up wind) so the worst thing that could have happened would be losing the kite.
wade

Post by wade »

If you have the room at your site instead of unwinding your lines perpendicular to the wind unwind them parallel with it so that you are laying them out in the direction the wind is going. Once they are seperated, turn your bar, anchor it and then take one line from the end and straighten it out to the proper place, walk back to the end of the next line and repeat until all lines are in the right place. Sounds like alot of steps but I have tried unwinding my lines perp. to the wind in strong winds and just get the same nest of lines at the end which is frustrating. This way at least you don't have to fight the constant twisting of lines in the wind.