The future of the Forum and Message Board

We want your feedback: comments, complaints and suggestions for the website

Only registered members can post on the:

Poll ended at Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:19 pm

Forum and message board (no guest posts)
35%
Forum (message board guests ok)
50%
Message Board (forum guests ok)
4%
OR leave as is (guest posts allowed on both)
12%

Total votes: 26

bwd
Developer
Developer

The future of the Forum and Message Board

Post by bwd »

Some people have complained about the anonymous "guest" postings on the Forum and the Message Board. Perhaps we would have less negative posts if we were all accountable for what we posted.

The Forum is easy to change to registered members only. The message board is a bit more work but it can be done (the On Site reporting would not be affected and would be available to everyone).

I've been a little reluctant to do it since it may cut down on some good posts, but it's doesn't take much effort to register and you can stay logged in forever.

If you care, please vote. Poll runs for 10 days.
dave
Last edited by bwd on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i dont think its a big deal, registering is easy, lots of sites do the same. if you dont reg youre not excluded in that you can still view everything.

the only place it would be a drag is in potential responses to buy/sell but if you post with an email or phone listed you wont have to rely on the forum or PM.

you guys (bwd, RG, JL, others?) do a great job so i support whatever makes it easier for you to run the site.
ps. donate $$
Last edited by downwind dave on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Ditto for me 8)

while we are on touchy subjects and I know Dave doesn't like asking for $$, as well I don't know how things are going these days with funding BUT

I know things are not as clear cut and usually quite personal but perhaps people (members) need a minimum milestone or gauge for donating to the site: how about a suggested $1 per earnings of $2,000 per year if ya make over $35k, wouldn't be onerous now would it?

For those math challenged that would amount to $25 for a $50k earner (two bucks per month....think about how many times you check the cams etc. :!: ), $0 pressure for a $34K earner.....I save that on one trip to Gordo's and back when I don't get skunked.....like I did today :roll: but I'll try not to think of that... :D

Hey, I just read the zoom and $$ thing, brilliant minds think alike, ha! :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

I post @ work & don't want to log in there. So, I like to be able to just type jl & post on the message board. Hey Kus, would I be allowed to subtract from my income for supporting a wife & 2 kids ?!How about we donate say.............1 percent...............for all sales we make on the buy/sell forum?!
Thermals are good.
Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter »

I definately like the idea of login for many reasons,
however, I do think that we will reduce some of the input from random people from the community, people that are neither kiters nor windsurfers that occassionally post in the forum.
Anyway, I'm neutral overall...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

jimmy lewis wrote:I post @ work & don't want to log in there. So, I like to be able to just type jl & post on the message board. Hey Kus, would I be allowed to subtract from my income for supporting a wife & 2 kids ?!How about we donate say.............1 percent...............for all sales we make on the buy/sell forum?!
well :D you can work on your own equation I think....I got three of the riffraff and a coke habit :wink: ....I nevertheless use the site and I donate in excess of what the current suggested formula is, roughly 3X that.

I just think people are confused as to how much to contribute so they do nothing on occasion. Maybe this might help. I think making the buysell section available only to users would promote more ownership and donations as a full fledged member.....what you end up donating is of course entirely your business....even if you count the pennies. I'd rather have another webcam and be able to sell my gear than get the newspaper or have cable...just imagine how healthy that latter choice would be....what's cable worth, at least $30/mo eh? It could pay for a webcam service or pay a cam off in 2.5 years 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

Say NO to anonymous/guest trollers looking for a reaction and others posting moronic comments ... If you really want to use the site, how hard is it to register?

My 2¢
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Thought I'd repost my earlier comment here. Leave some kudos when you vote! - these polls are common for commercial sites where the sponsor has a monetary interest in what the users think, but BWD just does this out of the goodness of his heart!

"But hey, BWD, its your ball and you can go home with it whenever. We REALLY appreciate your taking the time to ask our opinions on these kinds of questions. It is that kind of attitude that makes this such a great site in the first place!"
JL

Post by JL »

One day Dave's site will be turned into cyber-trash as 'Jimmy Lewis' tries to pass on some meaningless Image & the site is never seen from again.
Thermals are good.
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

deep subject

Post by voodmon »

i agree that guest postings can sometimes be a pain, but member postings and rantings especially about Kus's brooks peninsular, tongue in cheek..what is the name of that river anyway that passes so close to shakies ??? ..arrow not aimed at you kus...i've been guilty myself on occasion..but those days for me are past...let's just keep it a kite and windsurf site between members..let's keep the agro and name calling out of it..most of the members know each other one way or another anyway since we all share and the word here is "share" the water, wind and waves... let's keep the wind part in it..those not into wind, in my humble opinion would be better off going elsewhere to post thier gripes...and i think we know where that comes from..it can be difficult sometimes trying to be a surfer, a windsurfer, a dirtbiker etc...soo.. just a word to the wise....if you don't have something positive to say... don't say anything..i think it's a shame, like dave says, that this site would have to become by membership only, and yes i've been a bit remiss in contribution $$...for which my sig other has made me quite aware...sorry dave :? ...anyhow as we police ourselves on the water..perhaps..we could do it the same way on here..unwritten rules...and written ones..as in right of way etc...sooo that's my rant for today...cheers everyone...and think before you post..no kneejerks please....TT :D
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
gwind

user fees

Post by gwind »

nothing is free, we all need to donate to the site. period. I havent joined yet, but i just got a computer, can you believe it, i really enjoy this site,guests are great but regular users need to pay. fees need to be posted on the site .no pay, no play. thanks for all the hard work dave and friends. please ask if you need any assistance. thanks gene
gwind

Post by gwind »

JIMMY LEWIS BOY YOU NEED TO WORK AT WORK . NOT PLAY .
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Registered posters only. This would eliminate cowardly guest posts. To my mind anonymous posts carry no legitimacy anyway.
Signature Block.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Heh I posted to the other topic as well, but....

I like the idea of the forum being exclusive to registered users, here is why I believe it should be so:

If you got something to say then say it... really... if its positive great, you got a beef, great, so what. Were all adults (for the most part), and sometimes people disagree. If people could accept that, and not take things personal then you actually could have constructive debates which may evolve into really positive outcomes... or not. Everybody is an individual, we all have our opinions, so why should we be fearfull or "whatever" to express them? If your willin to post it, especially if it involves opinions, then you should be willing to at least entertain others viewpoints in a discussion. In my mind, this forum could be taking place around a campfire, were having a yak session, would what you say here be different than if you were in person sitting across from me?
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

So it looks like most people want to make the Forum "members only/no Guest posts" and leave the message board as is. But only 26 out of 367 members have voted (7%) so far...?
dave