Nanaimo Windsurfing Locations

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Jude

Nanaimo Windsurfing Locations

Post by Jude »

Any suggestions on locations in Nanaimo to learn to windsurf? We've heard Piper's will do but also hear some scary stories about the proximity of the rocks. Any informaiton would be appreciated.
chewy

Post by chewy »

Hey Jude

Oar Rd of Dickinson (behind Crappy Tire) is good for beginners. It is more side onshore so if the wind dies it is easier to get to the beach. There is no windshadow like Pipers and there is usually less swell and wind.
Gramma Jo

Post by Gramma Jo »

Jude -- Windsurfish recommended Oar Road in Lantzville to me too. If you're going to check it out, also look at Eby Road and Sebastian Road, both in Lantzville too. I'm pretty sure Oar Road will be where I'll be going first, hopefully soon.
Just want to somehow play on the water with a sail.
Gramma Jo

Post by Gramma Jo »

Jude: Another place to consider is Ladysmith's Transfer Beach. Lovely grassy slope leads to gravel/rock shore. You can't mind having an audience :lol: though. :?: :arrow: Does anyone have experience, knowledge, or thoughts on windsurfing in Departure Bay at the bottom of Departure Bay Road where there's a beach and plenty of parking right at the shoreline? I remember a picture in the newspaper about a year ago showing a windsurfer there. This is us very beginners asking... Thanks!
Just want to somehow play on the water with a sail.
Jude

Post by Jude »

I've considered Departure bay, but anything other than a southerly will have you in a wind shadow the majority of the time. Plus, anything other than a southerly will have you into the path of a ferry if you're not careful ;)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Transfer works on a SE as I recall and would be directly onshore, not the best for learning I would think as you'd be constant grinding down your fin :? :oops:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

relax, just use your fin cover man.

:D
Jude

Post by Jude »

a dragging fin acts as a natural drag brake to keep me from lifting off the water entirely and setting a new water speed record ;)
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

and dragging the fin means you can keep the nose down and go in a straight line without worrying about Mast Foot Pressure!
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

I learned to windsurf on a Bic Dufour Wing at departure bay, in 85', great spot for learning on "barge" boards. I sailed a whole summer there before buying my first mistral maui from a small shop called Kona Buds. Ah the good ole days!
Jude

Post by Jude »

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I'm once again looking for any freshwater launches around Nanaimo with decent sailing. The GF and I gave Brennen lake a whirl while the steady SSE was blowing around Nanaimo. First time in 13 years on a board and I was very glad it was a 250L with a nice big centre board. The gf had a fun time and that's the biggest blessing of the day ;) However, due to the wind direction, the resulting wind at Brennen lake was rather horrible. As the wind worked its way through the surrounding topography, we only caught ugly gusts that alternated between SSE and E. Despite the poor wind, we enjoyed the safety/cleanliness of starting off in fresh water with a nice sandy launch.

Anyone in Nanaimo have suggestions for other freshwater spots great for beginners? We'll tackle the ocean later in the year but would appreciate any ideas for idiot-proof lake windsurfing in close proximity to Nanaimo.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

What, it has to be freshwater now??? And decent sailing? And near Nanaimo?

There's a reason why everyone heads to Squamish, Tatlayoko, Harrison Riv Tow & Bear Creek, Nicola & Stump, Anderson, Nimpkish and the Nat and do so in the summer months. Winter = Gusty and cold, experienced only conditions so.....wait for later May, June. And fresh water? well, sometimes you gotta take what you can get. Unless you can get nice thermals on a very large lake (read: Summer), there are no fresh water decent sailing spots to my knowledge 8)

Another safer spot for learning might be Cameron Lake, but it's very gusty there too and needs thermals for a semi-crappy sailing experience there too. Horne also gets drift-around winds from various directions. Nanoose bay maybe, but hey, it's salty :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
GWIND

nan. sailing

Post by GWIND »

8) I sailed Long lake in the beginning on my one design, and / or Departure bay has a nice little on shore thermal in the afternoon, salty but safe. That's where Kona Buds rentals used to be. We used to hold sailing regattas there, sailed there a million times or less.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
dunkinguy

beginner spots

Post by dunkinguy »

I would scrap all of these spots and wait a couple more weeks for Nitinat to start working. Avoid Departure Bay as it is gusty and kind of off shore.
Love The Hate!
Jude

Post by Jude »

Thanks for the replies, I'll stick it out with the spotty wind on Brennen/Long lake until I can convince the little lady to make a few trips out to Nitinat this year (maybe I'll remember the tent poles this time). Cheers!