water assist at nitnat

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
AC

water assist at nitnat

Post by AC »

For any one out there that might get rescued at nitnat
Please donate some gas money next time for fuel.
It is not cheep
Thanks all
Armstrong

Post by Armstrong »

A rescue should be at least a price of a 6 pack. I'm sure anyone who has done a few eco challenges back to the campsite know the value of a rescue.
It may only seem like a 10--15 min rescue to you but if you times that by a few rescues per day it adds up to alot of riding time wasted let alone the $.
People learning to stay upwind should be required to show up at the lake with a extra beer. :lol: COLD :lol:
wade

Post by wade »

Yep, seem to run into this all over the place. Someone at the site has a seadoo for their own use and the group they are there with but everyone at the beach expects that they will rescue them as well even if they've never met them before. Most people with the craft don't mind and will go out to help but AC is right, these machines cost money to buy, run, insure and maintain so contribute to it if someone is good enough to help you out. If you don't think you should have to then enjoy your swim.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

There are "rescues" and "rescues". I am assuming that you guys are talking about people in some discomfort because they can't uphaul easily not life threatening situations due to injury. As a newbie I read all about de-rigging on the water and self-rescue. I'd have to be in pretty dire straits to call for a boat rescue. At some point, for a learner, the concept of risk management has to enter. A learner shouldn't go someplace that is beyond their abilities to return from (recognizing that it will happen nonetheless).

BTW. At Nitinat. Frankly, Seadoo's stink the place up. On a busy day you can smell the odour of freshly burned hydrocarbons all day if you stay downwind. I learned windsurfing 15 years ago and the idea that a Seadoo would follow me wherever I went to save me the walk of shame is pretty funny. Times change I guess.
I wish my TOW was longer!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I think most of the people using it are newbie kiters. The only sailboard one I know this year was when I was giving a newbie lesson (kinda for AC) and the student got out too far before trying to rope tack (she'd done it before in Hawaii, but 25 knots was a bit too much, but she had no problem uphauling and getting going in one direction!); he ran me out, we switched places, I sailed the board back upwind. Saved a lot of inconvenience/worry. Newbie kiters have a much more dangerous situation with either trying to relaunch (or relaunching inadvertently, especially bad if it happens just as they drift to the far beach and get dragged across the beach) or getting caught in lines while they bundle their gear. AC helps and picks them up if they are his students; non-students or former students in that situation should certainly expect to pay something.

I agree its noisy and stinky; but there aren't a lot of alternatives for a kite school at the moment; a kayak with an big electric drive to get upwind might work... or maybe the seadoo could be used a bit less with a good waterproof radio speakers in the helmet setup, with the instructor onland transmitting? I've heard some kiteschools and windsurf places use these for lessons, they sound ideal, I dunno how many seadoo trips it would really replace though - AC you thought about these or if it would reduce the seadoo? I imagine that would likely work best with a really long beach and sideshore winds, which Nat doesn't have. And I bet where they do that they then use beach quads to keep up with students/bring them back on land...
AC

Post by AC »

Yes there are a lot of reasons why I wish not to use a see doo.
mostly machanic. But quite a few times through the past few years many people have broken there masts on the other side of the lake.
as people approch me while in the middle of a lesson i drop everything
to help any one who might be in distress.
not only windsurfers,Kiteboarders have more mishaps than any.
Having a see doo on the lake is a privledge for emergency.
In squamish people expect the see doo to come and rescue them if anything happens. But I am not running a taxi service.
I like to help people but do not want to be taken advantage of.
Happy sailing all
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

True. But before Kiteboarding lessons and the SeaDoo on the lake, people windsurfed for decades and, if they broke a mast over by the log pile, they de-rigged and swam back. Been there - done that. I also broke a boom up by Knob Point. Took me an hour to get back but that's part of the sport. I'm sure all the non-paying rescuees appreciate the help and it is comforting to have the Sea Doo just in case, however, if it is a burden, save your rescues for people in REAL distress and tend to your business.
I wish my TOW was longer!
AC

um

Post by AC »

I hear you and think that only makes you a stronger kiteboarderor windsurfer.
How do you know they are not in Distress,
Think of me as cheep insurance. I watch and see everyone all day.
But when I see new kiteboarders on the beach and they dont know what they are doing. I am not going to get them on the bottom of the lake.
As for the Many broken masts. I have no Problem coming to get you.
I only want a beer and 5 bucks
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks for being a good Samaritan A.C...If I'm in trouble please help, I will gladly pay...'Your not a survivor until you've been rescued.' 8)
Thermals are good.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

a beer and $5 - that is excellent value indeed!
Graham

Post by Graham »

For the record Dwayne...if you ever see me flailing helplessly out there, please feel free to come and offer me a ride. I say it's a bargain at twice the price!

I don't find the SeaDoo noisy and stinky. I find it re-assuring.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Ah a debate I might actually sink my teeth into. Having an insurance policy such as a motorized boat on the lake is fantastic should an emergency arise. We have had two deaths on the lake to my knowledge, one prob. not preventable due to bleeding but the other would definately been preventable as his cause of death was "officially" drowning. Who is to say what constitues an "emergency"? If I see someone down I always sail by asking if they are ok, giving them the opportunity to say yes or no. Should they say no I feel it is my responsibility as a "good" samaritan to do something (If you call an ambulance, you get charged a fee for the callout, why would this be any different?). That said, my moral values are such that if I was the recipient of someone assisting me then I would do what I could to thank them (a thanks is a great start). I have witnessed first hand people who have been rescued, are exhausted and more than relieved to be on the beach, only to walk away without even acknowledging the person who spent the time assisting them. Twice this year alone I have seen this happen, which I believe is why this topic even exists. Money and time is one thing to consider but jeez where is the curtousy of just saying thank you. People like Dwayne, Mark/Mary, and Ean who typically have their boats at the lake should not be taken for granted nor expected to use their boats and time to save you. Should they be so kind to help you out, extend the courtousy and give thanks. .

As for the pollution issue, yeh there is some "stink" but I take that small inconvience for the thought that should I be in dire straits out on the lake, I have a better chance of recieving timely assistance with them out on the lake rather than waiting for emergency services to come to the boat launch, launch, then come find me, then figure out how to approach me due to my kite and lines, then figure out how to detach me etc etc etc. The price of "stink" for the benifit of timelyness and knowledge (of kites/windsurf gear) should I be in distress is a price I am more than willing to accept.

Dale
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

$5 and a beer is indeed a bargain!

Back in the era before jet skis at the lake, I had to self-resucue numerous times. I think all winsurfers should know how to de-rig and swim the gear back, and all kiters should know how to wind -up the lines and self-rescue with the kite if there is any wind.

To ease the burden on Dwayne, Mary etc, I think it would help if kiters can keep an eye on those who need a lift back to the beach. It doesn't usually take more than 5-10 minutes to tow someone to shore, and they often appreciate the lift. Saves them the embarrasment of the jet ski or long swim/walk.

I do this a couple of times a year, and it works well if the rider is not too aggressive with the kite but simply parks it and gently tows the downed rider. Of course, when the wind suddenly dies, it's time to swim or hope that AC is looking for a beer!

Cheers,
Paul
Vive et Ama
GWIND

gas engines

Post by GWIND »

Those rescue boats from the schools are there to help them make money period -if they weren't makin money they would not be there. that's what stinks to me. commercial ventures are not allowed on park property. nor are they allowed to stay for more than 14 days in the park. maybe we should enforce this hey Dale. :evil:
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
themorb

Post by themorb »

When I was learning to water-start my friend towed me back with his windsurfer. I held my rig with one hand and held his back footstrap with my other hand. He obviously couldn't get planing, but it worked!
(And it was only an 80L board with a 5.0 sail!!!) You don't need a jet-ski if your buddy can sail!

I'm not a kiter, but it seems to me that it should work with kites too? Just hang on to the other guy's board for a slow tow back?

I also did a 4 hour walk around the bottom of the lake once when I couldn't get back........ People with jet-skis got it pretty soft, I think!