Windsurfing lessons

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Tania&Glenda

Windsurfing lessons

Post by Tania&Glenda »

I'm looking for windsurfing lessons for my 19-year-old daughter and myself - Elk Lake? I tried the Yellow Pages and the internet but did not have any luck. We both tried it once last year with a friend (thank you Moe) with some success and would like a few more pointers before we brave it alone . . .
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

lesson

Post by Bobson »

Hello Ladies, my name is Bobson. :lol: The best lessons you can take would be from Coastalwatersports.com. They teach on large, wide, very stable boards that are great for learning and practicing your technique. Use the Website or call them(812-2601), they are able to teach you everything you will need to be ready to 'Brave it Alone!'

ps. you'll never be alone as anytime you need some assistance there is always lots of helps around this website! :!:
Tania&Glenda

Thank you Bobson

Post by Tania&Glenda »

Thank you for the information I will be making that call. See you on the beach.
Tania&Glenda

Cost of lessons

Post by Tania&Glenda »

Hi Bobson, I took a look on the website at prices and . . . assuming I am reading correctly . . . for the two of us the cost will be 2 X $99 for the lessons plus $200 each for the gear rental (and I'm not even sure if that includes wetsuit rental) . . . $598????
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

lessons

Post by Bobson »

Hey T&G, I'm not sure on their prices but I can vouch that they are very, very accomodating people. Whatever you need, I'm sure they will be able to fix you up so you are ready to get on the water!! If you need further assistance or have any questions, don't hesitate to email myself at 8)

The Victoria Windsurfing community is a great group of people that pretty much appreciate others getting into the sport we LOVE sooooo much!! \:D/
windsurf247

windsurfing lessons

Post by windsurf247 »

Hi Tania and Glenda. My name is Rob and I'm the windsurfing instructor with Coastal Watersports. Many thanks to Bobson for directing you to us :D .

Just thought I'd jump in and explain the prices for you. A private 3 hour lesson for 2 people is $199.00 which is about $99 each. This includes all the equipment plus lifejacket, helmet, a cool Coastal Watersports t-shirt and membership in our brand new windsurfing club. You will need to provide your own wetsuits though. There are a number of places in town that rent them for around $20/day

l have also written a very thorough information booklet which covers such topics as windsurfing basics, buying gear, weather and safety. It also includes all the local web links you need, like BIG WAVE DAVE for instance 8). The booklet is also included.

As Bobson explained, we do our lessons on Starboard Starts which are designed specifically for learning :D. The goal of the first lesson is for you to be able to sail out, turn around and come back. I will also show you how to rig a sail and carry it to the water. I want you to be comfortable enough to be able to go out on your own and practice what you've learned.
If you've taken a lesson with us, you are eligible for a discounted rental rate which is $35/day - this includes both delivery and set up. You are also eligible for a discount at Excel Watersports equal to the full lesson price. It must be used on the purchase of a new rig.

One more thing before my free plug expires..... Coastal Watersports is going to be hosting a windsurfing club at Gyro Beach (Cadboro Bay) this summer. We will be meeting every Monday and Thursday evening from 6-9pm. This is a great way for beginners to get out and practice as well as meet other newcomers to this great sport. Members will be able to rent the Start boards for $15. The club is open to anyone interested in doing some lightwind recreational windsurfing. Check the website for details.
I hope I've been able to answer some of your questions. Please feel free to call us if you need more info.
Rob
812-2601
Tania&Glenda

Post by Tania&Glenda »

Great reply Rob! Sounds excellent (and way more reasonable than $598 - I thought I must be reading that wrong!).
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I thought I would resurrect this thread. It sure seems to me and others in the US that having evening races and open windsurfing lessons/gear through schools and demos is the way to increase and feed our windsurfing community with new blood. I am not aware of Coastal still doing this.

I wonder who might be interested in once a week weekend aft/ weekday evening drop in lessons by donation and/or volunteer teaching at a place like Willows if we can get some storage of large boards/rigs nearby. Perhaps I can approach the tea house or get a trailer too.

Willows is a great learning area for N, NE and SE winds, even SW. Cattle Point for any West which is close enough to drag the gear over by truck. Yes, there are gusts but I think it's much better than Cadboro and it has little wave action unless you get a full-on SE.

I figure I wouldn't mind donating some funding for used start and Go boards, use donated rigs, go from there. The problem I guess would be wetsuits mostly which students would have to rent or buy and to keep the thing from stalling after the first enthusiasm is worn off.
Any ideas :?: 8)
windsurf247

lessons

Post by windsurf247 »

Great idea Kus. I ran a free womens only clinic a few years ago and had a really good turn out. I had a few volunteers helping out with basic lessons and had some gear donated for the day (GO boards, long boards etc).

It might be fun to do an open clinic once a month to get some new interest. We could get a bunch of volunteers and hopefully some decent gear and run a free "learn to windsurf" clinic at Willows or Caddy Bay, or even somewhere different each time.

I think there are still people that go out on Mon/Thurs evenings at Caddy Bay so there's obviously still an interest in light wind recreational type sailing. The SUP scene should help too.

I've spoken to a couple of people in the last 6 months who've expressed an interest in getting some lessons rolling again. I think if there was something established that people knew about, there might be a renewed stoke to the sport.

It would be great to set something up like they have at Jericho in Vancouver. Great scene over there, just no wind
:?

Not sure what Coastal Watersports is doing these days in terms of lessons. I'll give Craig a call and see what's happening. He might be interested in getting involved again.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Lessons and learning

Post by Bobson »

This is a great idea Mr. Kus. I was thinking of the same thing but you're really sparked the thought of it's all about just getting people out on the water. I am planning on getting a Start-like board and small rig for people to try with a lesson.

I also think that the BWD website is the perfect medium for letting people know when and where the good launches are for learning on specific wind directions.

To deal with the wetsuit issue, I can stop by Sports Rent and try to get people a deal if them mention this 'program' or whatever they want to call it. They just stop by Sports Rent and pick up the wetsuit on the way.

We can have a scheduled evening(s) that if the wind and weather is looking good then at least one person (if not more) are at a pre specified beach for lessons, rigging instruction and basically just having someone with knowledge on the beach to help.

I'm sure we can get some sponsors to give people deals like a % off of new complete rigs etc. I'm guessing starting a topic for this to see how many people are out there interested in this.....

Anyone else with thoughts on this subject....
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

great :P and thx for following up with Craig WS247 and finding out about cheap gear, esp big boards, Bobson.

I think being so visible at Willows is a huge advantage and doing it regularly at the same place may pay huge dividends. If there WAS a need to move to Cattle Pt one could leave a sign too.
Who walking around on a sunny beach wouldn't give a free demo/lesson a go if they had a suit? A trailer w/ beginner gear w/ a kayak to chase down the errant sailor might be the ticket, anyone got an old one (trailer that is) they wanna lend or donate? 8)
Last edited by KUS on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I'm willing to lend gear (Kona is great for beginners) and instruct when I'm in town. Longer evenings now....
Lars

Post by Lars »

This is perfect timing. I've been wanting to learn to windsurf for some time now. I even found my old (used once) wetsuit at my parents house. I remember it being more roomy around the midsection though :)

Cheers,
Lars
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well, hopefully this will work for you at some stage soon Lars :D

It appears we have a kayak offer & some boards.

Cheap/free utility or old boat trailer anyone??

I envision something like this made of a plywood box perhaps or even just a 3 level rack with a tarp over it would do it.
Attachments
trailer 4 Oz.jpg
trailer 4 Oz.jpg (121.2 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
trailer 2  OZ.jpg
trailer 2 OZ.jpg (185.13 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
monkey boy

Post by monkey boy »

Anything come of this? I'd be interested to learn.