Dry suit for surfing!

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Gareth

Dry suit for surfing!

Post by Gareth »

Ok, so I got to try my Pyro Surf this weekend.

http://www.oceanrodeo.com/surfing/index.php

It totally beat and exceeded all expectations. Admittatly the surf was small, but I did get caught on the inside a few times and had to duck-dive a few times. These are my findings.

Pro's.
I was nice and toasty. My surfing partners were starting to get cold in their 5mm wetsuits and I was totally comfortable. Paddling was easy--your arms have a much easier range of movement than in a thick wetsuit. As for the actual surfing, I didn't feel at all restricted, in fact I wasn't aware of anything. That is good, it means that like my shoulders/arms, the suit allows me to do what I need to do without restriction.
Duck-diving was good. After getting out, I burped some additional air out of the suit and after that, it felt no different from duckdiving in a wetsuit. When I got out after my session, instead of a mad scramble to get warm, start the engine and crank the heater, I was fine. It was such a good feeling to be able to get out the water and feel totally warm and comfortable. That is a first for me in BC. .

Cons. There really weren't any. the only thing that I found in my haste to try it out properly, was that I didn't put it on as carefully as I should have, and some of the underware bunched. Until you have it figured out(the same process as any new wetsuit) spend the additional little bit of time and make sure that all the layers are as they should be.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Is somebody going to call these guys on their blatant advertising.

This is the third time in different forums I have read the same "review".
The text of the review is almost identical. Come-on, be a little more imaginative.

I am not passing judgement on the product, but I would have more faith in the reviews if I thought it wasn't the same review printed over and over. Its all about credibility.

Bye the way, why doesn't spell check work on this "post a reply"?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Not advertizing . Why should I change the text for each forum, my meassage is the same CTRL C.
I have bought and paid for it. It is a relatively new concept for surfing that no dought will be met with skepttism. I'm just stoked that I can now surf in comfort. The link to the OR site is for the technical aspects of the suit. I have recently sold my 5mm wetsuit(hotline). The forums that you read this on are forums that I vissit on a regular basis.

Was I advertizing selling Jordan River when I cross posted to the BC Surf Forum---No, I was just informing.

Feel free to PM me if you have an issue.
The reason that I have different usernames is simply that some were already taken, old surfing nickname from SA, assigned etc. I'm not trying to conceal my ID.

Regards,

Gareth.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

The reason for my suspsions was because the same message was posted on three different web sites under the three different names:

bigwave dave - posted by "Penguin"
BC surfing - posted by "waxfoot"
OR site - posted by "Gareth T"

With links, as you say, to the OR website.
You (and your nom de plumes) must be one very happy owner of you new suit.

Does spell check cover french language as well?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

You bet!

I would simply prefer Penguin-however that seems a popular user name.

Cheers,

P.S.
Thanks for taking the lead with JR.
ToesideT

Post by ToesideT »

Penguin- glad you are stoked with the suit.-How much is a suit?
- and what happens if you hit the reef barnacles, and tear a hole in it, and as you get washed to the inside the waves coming over you fill your suit with water- wouldnt you be in just a bit of trouble?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

First Question: MSRP is $659CAD

2nd Question: What happens if it rips?
Firstly it is covered by a Lycra outer layer. This is what makes the suit form fitting rather than baggy. In the case of a minor tear, it was explained to me that the outside water preassure would cause the suit to cling to me, thus only allowing a small amount of water in--therfore no problem.

If it was a major rip, and the suit did begin to fill, then luckily water is neutral bouancy. So, you would get frigging cold, and have quite a bit of added drag, but you should be able to get in OK. Plus, if you're getting pounded to the inside, just get out. Your surfboard is a flotation device. I must say though, in the 16 years or so that I have surfed, I have never had a huge tear, rather possibly only 1/2 minor ones. I have surfed predominantly reef and point breaks. most small tears on my suits have been from fins.

If that explanation is not good enough, maybe someone from OR can give a better one.
Mark

RE. ALL TYPES/BRANDS OF BAG STYLE DRYSUITS

Post by Mark »

I would not use any type of bag style drysuit.
I had a Bare drysuit(1/2 bag suit)...the neck seal broke 10 feet from shore dallas road....suit filled and only able to kick in while having to take a breath each time I bobbed under a wave! COLD ! Unable to unzip on own due to arms full with water! We had a good laugh!
Full bag wet suit even worse!
I also used a full body style bag suit as you discuss at clover point where I experienced a 1.5 inch tear from barnicles..... and to make a long story short.....No one heard my one opportunity to call for help (I think Marathon Dave will recall this story). Luckily, I was able to get out of the waves, stand on the reef and pull my kite to me and float in on it. Four feet of water with waves almost did me in! Not so funny this time!
You decide.........
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I am in the market for a local area suit for the winter.

I was told that a Xcel 2007 X-flex 5/4/3mm is possibly a better choice than a dry suit.

Any advice from you dudes and dudettes?

Just so you know I have been out on January 2 in a blow in a 4/3 and was relatively comfortable except for my feet and hands.
I wish my TOW was longer!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Thanks for the review penguin! The drysuit pro/con discussion comes up every fall. Thanks to OR for complicating things further with another option for us.

mtm you are one tough dude. it sounds to me like you just need some warm booties and mitts! I have a hotline 5/4 which i think is great. I just dont get out enough in the winter to justify a $600 drysuit as nice as it may be.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

MTM- At the risk of drifting this thread, my polarheat Bare has the canvas top, neo w/ titanium bottom. Nice and much better movement up top, warm as you make it up top, nice,warm and floaty bottom, could not be used for surfing and I think the new OR surf suit is a different machine altogether :!:

Mark- not sure what your suit was intended for that you ripped but I think it was along the lines of a kite/windsurf suit so a bit different I think, nevertheless my story:
Bonehead (me) didn't fully zip up the suit (February, sunny, JFStrait-Kook), left a 3 inch hole, water got in, collected in arms, unable to drain fully while on the board, barely GOT on the board, closed zipper, waterstarted barely with 5 gals extra water, supercold, almost drowned cuz couldn't swim and body immediately fatigued beyond belief,....yes, NOT funny :shock: I still use it with confidence near shore but get nervous in places like CB and IV if I head further out, use it as a backup warm-up suit, I don't use it kiting as you have nothing to cling to right away like a windsurf board. :?

And, BTW, the drysuits aren't totally dry, tried 3 types, I still got wet. The brand you mention I have heard good things about, I would probably get a hooded one just for having that option or go with the 6-5-4 (tho thicker materials makes it tougher to move) if you get cold easily which doesn't sound like u do :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

See what you started Penguin.

Glad to hear you are happy with your suit.
I have known some of the principle guys at OR for over 25 years and I have confidence in their ability to create quality products.

Despite the improvements to all wetsuits over the years they still transmit alot of heat from you body into the water/wind. Basically, to stay warm a surfer/windsurfer has to generate more heat energy than the suit transmits. If you are paddling alot then everything is fine, if you are in 5-10C water and not generating heat you get bloody cold quickly.

Drysuits make sense. However, these dry suit flooding stories (of other manufacturers drysuits only?) sound a little scary.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I've used a Pyro classic for about 4 winters, and never an issue. In the summer I prefer a wetsuit. Last year I surfed in a 5/4 hotline, nice suit, but cold in January after a few hours. I'm just going by my personal experirence in watersports. I'm confident that the Lycra is the big difference. I've never blown a seal yet. I imagine that it would be really scary if you had a catastrophic malfunction in large surf. I personally wouldn't surf someething like Mavericks with it(but then--I wouldn't surf there anyway). For the rest, I think it is OK.

Again, maybe OR is better qualified to answer this question than I am.
ozy

xcel

Post by ozy »

the excel 2007 is the best wetsuit i have ever owned, super warm and flexable and even in big surf rarely flushes
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

As a low-cost alternative - I use a 1997 OR hooded wetsuit (front zip), but throw on an old kayak drytop. The secret is I have cut out the seals of the drytop so they just barely touch the wetsuit at neck and wrists, enough to stop major ingress but not enough to stop drainage. Keeps the wind partially off which extends the comfort by a huge margin (better than the Polar Bare) and works in all conditions. No concern with seal blow-out or flushing, and I've had some big swims (45 minutes!) in it with mast breakage at IV in February.

I've had 3 drysuits (bag type, full neoprene, and 50:50 Bare Polar) - a friend died (coroner attributed it to suit failure) and I had the rip scare on Lake Erie (in early March) in the bag suit via fin slash; neoprene Neil Pryde was never warm enough; and seals failed constantly on the Bare 50:50.

Whites/OR (I'm not affiliated in any way) makes a great product and I'd be willing to try it but a little gun shy, fins will slash any material short of ballistic fabrics and kiters have a definite advantage here in the surf with their gear not having the destructive potential of windsurf gear tangling with you in the wash cycle. Remember your fin can be "sharpened" quickly by a rock kiss and make a wicked blade (this is what happened to me.)
We windsurf - life must be good!