Questions??

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
espritofme

Questions??

Post by espritofme »

Is it realistic to start windsurfing this time of year...I would be in the lagoon at Piper's? I'm thinking it would be safe enough to putter out there, and gain balance if nothing else.
In due time I will buy my own board/sail - which brings me to my next question:
Is there a difference between women's/mens board/sails?
I'm 5'5" and 130 lbs.
Can I rent windsurfers anywhere? So I don't have to impose too much on my friends generousity?
And I am assuming that a life jacket is a necessity with the wet suit, do I need a helmet??
Thanks for any input ... I've been reading some of the old posts to try and gain some knowledge...but the "lingo" ...
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Since no one has jumped on this I'll give it a whirl.

It's not the greatest time of the year to start windsurfing. It's cold and you will spend a lot of time in the water at first. The wind is sort of unpredictable and unreliable at this time of year. It's gusty and the good places for wind in the winter (Columbia Beach, etc) are probably too challenging for beginners.

There isn't really any difference between the equipment for men and women. If you can find one get one of the new learner boards like a GO 140 or something similar. Whatever you do make sure you have lots of flotation when you are learning. There are classifieds at http://www.coastalbc.com/ads/windsurf.htm and on this site.

You can rent windsurfers where windsurfers are rented :P . This time of the year most rental places have closed up shop but the Victoria crowd can correct me on that.

You should use a flotation device, a nice thick wet suit (6-5-4 Excel for example) and I would use a helmet too to protect the noggin from a mast bump.
I wish my TOW was longer!
Barb W

learning in the lagoon

Post by Barb W »

I think you could putter around in the lagoon with a SE wind, maybe even a NW like today. It is starting to get cold out, so make sure you wear a 5/4 mm suit. A hoodie will help, too, but don't get a suit with one or your neck will get sore. Booties- Island Longboards sells the nicest, warmest 7mm booties I've ever worn. Helmet will protect you when your mast slams down. Women use the same gear as men, though I think there are some boards (the diva) that were marketed to women. The weight of the equipment makes a big difference, as well as the diameter of the boom and mast for smaller hands. A womans harness fits better than a man's, depending on your shape.
So, stay in the lagoon for now and have a friend give you some help and support. Spring will be here before you know it, and learning this sport is better when it's warm out. (then you wont be calling it windsuffering).
Jfish

Post by Jfish »

I agree with Barb on just about everything in terms of gear, especially the thinner diameter comment. I find a big difference in terms of boom grip, having smaller hands the thinner diameter is a big plus. In terms of rental gear - I don't know anywhere in the Nanaimo area that rents windsurfing gear, even in the summer. Renting a wetsuit is easy, but as far as board, sail, boom, mast, etc - that will be the hard part. Hopefully someone out there knows of something I don't. I would mention one more thing - sail size. For learning you will want a small sail. Personally I learned on a 3.5. You don't want to be fighting with the weight of a bigger sail while learning to balance, uphaul etc. I would think something in th 3.5-4.5 range might be where you want to start.
Good Luck!
Jude

Post by Jude »

I've been looking around Nanaino for gear now for a few years and there really isn't any type of board/rig rental establishment up here that I've ever run across. For that matter, I think the closest place to buy new equipment is Victoria.
I'm still on my epic quest to find a mast foot for a Mistral Screamer and complete the hodgepodge of equipment I've managed to scrounge up into a full rig. Though it may just be time to buckle down and buy a full set of gear new...I just can't convince myself to spend the dough.
With any luck I may see you out on Piper's this summer!
espritofme

Post by espritofme »

I'm taking off to Cancun early March...will try to track down a windsurfing rental there, just to give me that SUMMER fix. Then I will use March to break in here in the "pond" at Piper's. The guys out there make it "look" easy...I spoke briefly to one guy there last Sept - said he used to teach it at Departure Bay...almost asked him if I could pay him to teach me...but...
I wonder if there is anyone out there??
Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Yah, there isn't a shop in Nanaimo that I know of. Back in the '80's we had two: Konabud's in Departure Bay and Ed's in Lantzville! How times have changed. For gear I go to the places in Victoria or order stuff online, but mostly I have found stuff through the BWD buy/sell forum - a great resource. Research what you need and post a wanted ad. A lot of us have beginner gear in our basements and garages that we'd like to get rid of, if we were only reminded that it was there!

I learned in the Lagoon too. It's a great spot in the summer on those sunny afternoons/evenings with a light NW breeze. You can only go at high tide of course. The water can be quite warm if the tide comes in and fills the lagoon after the sand has been baking in the sun all day. The reach is kind of short, but you'll get a lot of gybing and tacking practice. An easterly breeze will allow for longer runs in the lagoon, or you can cross over the spit and try the other side, where an easterly wind makes for safe onshore conditions.

Cancun is probably a great place to learn - good idea!