Winter Sailing - ARE WE PREPARED??

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Winter Sailing - ARE WE PREPARED??

Post by KUS »

So I thought about this the other day when I got cold sailing, again when RainX dropped by and noted my harness doesn't any longer have a pouch with extra rope stored in it, again when MF4 disappeared over the horizon at Agate last week sailing solo....and me slogging against tidal current at Cattle Point, also sailing with but one onlooker :roll:

It is this: I keep thinking we have been getting very lucky over the years :!: I think we all take chances and sometimes we move from summer to fall to winter sailing without changing our attitude, our rigs/kites, even our suits sometimes. I went out yesterday even though I knew the neck seal leaks like a sieve. If you have ever had a leak in your drysuit, ripped the zipper in a wetsuit, injured yourself while on the water :? (I know I got a few of all of these) you know how difficult it is getting back to shore. Broken boom arm, doing a flip in heavy seas at minus 2, easy right? Even an outhaul or downhaul letting go, a kite bladder bursting like it did at JR the other day, losing a fin, a 5th line getting flipped over the kite. They all happen.

Now have them happen at 1645, you've been out for 2 hours in freezing cold and are exhausted, on your last reach out and you went maybe a bit further than you have all day, it's getting dark, the wind is dropping so perhaps you go to find it further out, hit that ramp.......bam...Shit, now what? :shock:

BE SMART OUT THERE :!:

Don't:
= Sail/Kite alone if at all possible
= Go for that last run looking for wind further out cuz it's died near shore
= Sail as a beginner in winter, question your skill as an intermediate
= Sail without a head/neck covering, hood, helmet, toque
= Do your biggest airs or new moves you haven't quite mastered yet way out
= Count on anyone noticing you missing or getting to you within an hour :!:

Do:
= Know the weather report!! Is it gonna shut down? Turn off shore??
= Take regular breaks to re-warm, take a thermos of warm/hot water for gloves/hands and booties and some energy bars/snack
= Wear that extra fleece underneath even tho it's a bit too hot
= Take extra 4mm rope along, at least 5 feet
= Sail conservatively on the reach out, do that missionary gybe if it keeps you dry/warm longer
= Check suit seals, universal bolts, strap bolts, fins for cracks, harness straps
= Add reflective tape on your board, helmet, kite, mast
= Carry a kit with flares, 25' red plastic streamer (flagging tape?), strobe, an orange water wing/strap for your kite/board/rig - if you can
= Keep an eye out when de-rigging for the last sailor/kiter on the water

Ok, I feel better now that I've done my thing :wink: Have an awesome day on the water everyone, the snow makes things very festive :twisted:
Last edited by KUS on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
eastside

Post by eastside »

Good attitude readjustment Kus
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Boards UK markets at cost a little emergency kit. I was just talking to the wife this morning about this, after having admitted realizing I was actually further out from 10 mile point than a downwind drift would take me at Agate. Hope the big board and drysuit aren't making me overconfident. It is good to know that you will float entirely out of the water on the Kona, and be able to paddle, using a mast half if necessary, to go a considerable distance/speed that way. There's some substantial self-rescue ability there. If the water's flat you can even pump in 0 wind and go a couple of knots, pushing the sail straight back while you stand on the nose.

But having a waterproof communication device would be good, as would the flares. Someone on the Boards forum a couple of days ago suggested taking an old cell phone in a case or even ziploc bags as a backup. Apparently even without a plan, they will all dial 911 or 0. Trouble is, nowhere to put this stuff. The Boards thing is in a little pouch that clips onto your harness. My harness has a TINY pouch for keys or whatever, I used to keep a line spare but no longer. WOuldn't an old kite line be a good tow line for emerg? Anyone carry a little pouch with this stuff?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

so far ULRobin is the only one smart enough that I've noticed :roll: including me :oops:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

after last year's discussion on this topic i got me a pocket strobe, it was $15 at ohnos in nanaimo.
GWIND

strobes and safety gear

Post by GWIND »

D.D. Thats....ONO'S just in case anyone is looking. They may be able to make up winter sailing kits for us. Owner is a windsurfer, BEN
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
Windsurfish

winter Sailing kits

Post by Windsurfish »

Hey Gene,

Do you want to see Ono wrt a small windsurfing safety kit? It would make great stocking stuffers for all of us - :)
Windsurfish

Sample Emergency Kit Contents

Post by Windsurfish »

I believe this is the kit Morley is referring to - the costs are a bit steep, but the idea good....

http://www.aqua-patch.co.uk/aqua_safety.htm
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

The costs for everything seem steeper in the UK, I expect the identical stuff could be bought here cheaper. I hadn't looked at this for a while, (thanks for posting the link WSFsh) there are some good ideas there - especially the laminated cards telling you what to do in each situation. That seemed uselsess to me if you were out and in the cold water especially in the dark, but they even note the light stick can be used for reading the cards! I can see that following some simple instructions might really help. I was also thinking the knife would be not useful, but if you have to flip a broken boom over, and have a downhaul attached, you'd have to either cut the attachment or detatch the board and rig (Not good) to do it. I remember that it was really hard to reattach the rig even in warm water at Nitinat.

Oh Yeah, a company called Oh No! sounds perfect to make a safety kit!
GWIND

HARNESS POUCH

Post by GWIND »

OZY had or has a great little pouch that goes on the back of your harness. I'll ask him, or he can post if he reads this. Flares are great cause you can see them in the daylight. I want some.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Good idea DWD.

Stocking stuffer...

http://www.mec.ca/...

The cheaper Coghlan's strobe received a poor review:

And don't forget your Fox 40 whistle...
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

yep that princeton is the one i got, its more of a flasher than a strobe but it will do the trick when called upon. I also wear a bright yellow helmet not stealthy black like a lot of dudes. Dakine even makes a camo harness if you really dont want to be seen/found.. 8)
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Yah, I'm one of those with a black helmet...I would have preferred white or red, but I was in a hurry and that is what was available...I'm thinking I'll use KUS's idea of decorating it with reflective tape...skunk theme...

Another safety thing to consider is floatation. Apparently there are PFDs available that can be worn with a harness. I've not seen these, but I now use an impact vest which provides a lot more floatation than my old waist harness.

For those that haven't been to ONO Trading and Safety in Nanaimo, it is well worth a stop. I love that place. They sell safety and first aid supplies of course, but also have a great selection of outdoor gear and clothing. I get my bear deterrent stuff (spray/bangers/flares) from them. Maybe they have marine flares - I haven't looked. Great long underwear there too for under your drysuit. And it is just a short side trip off your way to Columbia Beach...

http://www.onoworkandsafety.com/
Starboard Steve

Post by Starboard Steve »

I've got access to scrap reflective peel and stick traffic sign sheeting for your boards/helmets. If anyone is interested send me an email and I'll hook you up with some. Works great for your bike as well.