Windsurf Holiday

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Windsurf Holiday

Post by Bobson »

I'm planing a windsurfing vacation for a week sometime around the end of February or the beginning of March probably. I would like opinions of where to go and especially why. I probably can't afford places like Greece or Austrailia but I was thinking somewhere warmer probably in the caribbean or there abouts. I won't be taking my gear with me but will be renting gear there. Staying in a hotel probably.

Please let me know as I'd like to book sooner rather than later.

Thanks! :D
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

you might want to ask doc about Venezuela, he put up some nice pics last winter. id also consider Dominican Republic, and theres also Jeri brazil but i think you'd need than a week. ive never been to any of these spots :oops:
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hi Bobson,

Dave's right, the DR could be a good bet, but I had great wind during that same time last year in Margarita, Venezuela. Though it's a long way to go for flat water/Nitinat style chop, for freestyle or slalom you'd be in warm water nirvana. Everything you need is close by and it's a pretty chilled scene. Sailing alongside some of the world's top freestyle gumbies is a nice perk.

Jericoacoara in Brazil is not very windy at that time as I understand it.
Poultry in motion
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

travel

Post by Bobson »

Thanks fella's, that helps....I think it's either gonna be Margarita or Caberete. mostly it's the warm water sailing all day everyday to ensure some improvement since I've been off the water for awhile. I've got Caberete worked out to $2000/person for travel and accomodations, food and booze extra.

I appreciate the input. :D
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Are Baja and Maui no good for wind then? I thought Maui was just starting to get windy about spring - those two are closer, must be quite a bit cheaper.
Barb W

Caberete

Post by Barb W »

I think Caberete is a good choice, though it's windiest months are summer; but if you are into sailing on big gear, you will have fun. It's a great town, you can walk from one end to the other. Bars and good restaurants along the beaches and nice locals. The public transportation is quite something- the guagua, and then there's a special herb drink they sell mostly to men. The Brugal Rum is the best.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

There was a one week all inclusive (well, except booze) for the first two weeks of December (and also last week Nov) to DR Cabarete, try Marlin Travel I think it's where it came from, $699, all in $1000 per. 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
asscrack

Cabarete

Post by asscrack »

Dominican Republic is a great destination.Direct flights from Vancouver.Great deals if you go for 2 weeks or less.I have been going for 6 years now.And more than likely i will be there again this year.Very reasonable.And steady winds ,starting after the rainy season.Feb through March is a reliable time.average wind 20 knots.Lots of 25 knot days as well.Nice long reef to play on,friendly natives,the windsurfing is right in the village of Cabarete,and kitesurfing downwind,so everyone is happy.Vela has windsurfing rentals.You may be able to find a package deal on line.Hotel and windsurfing rentals.you would fly into Porta Plata,then a 20 minute cab ($20.00 US) can ride to Cabarete.Lots of beach activities,restaurants,bars,ect. :lol: Maybe see you there. 8) www.cabaretewinds.com
asscrack

Travel cheap tickets

Post by asscrack »

:D Grant Watson has some cheap tickets for sail.Anywhere Alaska Airlines fly's. Call him at home 658-6407 :shock: :lol: Hawaii would be my choice. :P
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
AC

Rob..

Post by AC »

I have made it here for $1600 and baught a van in good shape
with 150 thousand on it for 1000$ with 6 months insurance
and already made it up north where i have sailed in 30 knots on a ten every day. Plenty of waves and spending about 20$ a day on food.
I did get a seat belt ticket though which costed an outragous
$500 for each of us .$1000.
ouch. But the sailing is epic. I yesterday sailed to mark mcrecker
at mian break margarate river in 25 knots and 3 meter plus waves.
found two jobs which pay me 20$ an hour cash for the mornings till 12
landscaping which helps me support my wind and eating addiction.
anyway. Just thought i would wish you lots of wind on your trip Rob.
Cheers
Wavos Rancheros

Did he say where?

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

Did AC say where he is/was?

We should add a section in the wiki for places to travel/sail/kite, with any suggestions/experiences for us wind addicted folks. There must be so many places out there, and so much helpful information we could put together for those who have a chance to 'get away'! :D
otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

Going down to Puerto Rico at New Years, has anyone done any windsurfing down there and now of the best place to go for it?
asscrack

Crabber

Post by asscrack »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Australia Crabber is down under :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
frank

puerto rico

Post by frank »

hey otisdadog,

in Puerto Rico, Shack Beach (Isabella) is the place to be for wave sailing, kitesurfing and surfing ...all at one spot with cheap accomodation at Mike's Villa Tropical.

try catching a flight to Aguadilla airport which is 5 min from Shack Beach....

better than Maui for waves that for sure