How long a kite last ? (or how many session ~)

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Teabag

How long a kite last ? (or how many session ~)

Post by Teabag »

Does any of you ever kept track or "log" the amount of sessions of a brand new kite until it can't fly anymore? (keep folding on itself when flying)
Any rough idea? I would like to have lots of input so I can average everyone answer. (I do know that it depends on a lot of factors.)

Thanks for your input, Ian.
Cj

CJ

Post by Cj »

I think a sail will stay crisp for about a season( 50 days ish on water and sun). depending on how you treat your gear i guess. self launching and landing is hard on the sail for sure. If you leave your kite pumped up and flaping on the beach all day i bet thats harder on it then actually sailing it. you said can't fly anymore? a kite has to be pretty messed up to not fly anymore. i have an 04 bronco thats soft like a blanket but i bet i could still ride it. I used to race lasers and as a sail become softer it pockets out and drags more, dosn't mean you can't use it but it loses power. As far as kiting goes i have and probably will always get a new kite(s) every year. new gear is sweet and i like the new smell of new stuff(toys). good question, respecting your gear is what it's a about!
somebody said " go fly a kite".
AC

Kites will last

Post by AC »

If you wrap them up after you use them.
Things like the Wind,Sand,Dogs,And the Uv will take its toll on you gear.
if you do not do this your kite would maybe last a year but if you do take care of it,You will get three years out of it.
Sun will Burn it.
Sand will Blast it,
Wind will Delaminate it.
Dogs will Pee on it""
When a kite is in the air it is very solid.
but once you land it it is flapping all over the beach.
Cheers 8)
asscrack

kites kites kites will last if::::::::::

Post by asscrack »

Are actually quite fragile.Look after them.Don't lend to your friends.Don't take them for granted.don't, whatever you do, pile heavy things like rocks on them.Put them away when not in use.Allways check for pinholes and wear,repair right away.With correct materials.ask the experts about this.happy kiting ,me.your kites will last if. :lol:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
sixlinewrasse
Website Donor
Website Donor

How Long?

Post by sixlinewrasse »

How long will it last?
Kind of a personal question.
But I have an 03 Ocean Rodeo 9m that I've used hundreds of times.
Lots of self launching too.
The kite still performs like the first time I used it, but my ability to sail the kite has increased greatly, so its performance seems better than ever to me.
Great kite!

J.Hipwell :D