Esquimalt to Dallas downwinder

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

windsurf247

Esquimalt to Dallas downwinder

Post by windsurf247 »

If anyone is interested in doing a trek from the beach at Esquimalt Lagoon to Dallas Rd, feel free to add some comments here. I can picture an informal type event that includes some racing, as well as pleasure sailing.
It would be nice to have some sort of rescue boat on hand as it is a bit of an open water journey.
Any other comments, ideas???
Tammie

Post by Tammie »

I completely forgot about the seaplanes leaving vic harbour. Is there someone that we can contact to find out if a crossing on the outside of the lighthouse is even permissible? In Maui, they have a major 'no fly zone' around the airport. Funny though kiter beach is really close to that! Makes sense. Safety first, it would be devastating if something went wrong because of lack of foresight.

How long to to cross, 1/2 hour if pleasure sailing?

Logistics; do we just watch the weather and call it when we see the right conditions coming up? ie: meet 3pm today at Esqu. lagoon for crossing?

I am *so* in, and would be thrilled to go with a group!
local

crossing

Post by local »

Lets go naked :twisted: 8)
loco local

bare ass

Post by loco local »

Great Idea,yeh!
Stammy

Post by Stammy »

I'm down. Just give a holla on the forum
windsurf247

the crossing

Post by windsurf247 »

Sounds like there is some interest but also the concern of disturbing the float plane space. I don't think it would be a problem for windsurfers as much as kiters due to the height of the kites. Perhaps someone can look into this to see what kind of regulations there are for this type of thing. I can't see it being a problem if it's only a handful of people but it would be nice to get a good group together.
I think we could set a tentative date and see if the weather cooperates. We should definitely figure out the logistics first though.
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

I have a Zodiac rescue boat we use for our kite school, would be happy to tag along! Let me know when the fly zone thing has been figured out, give me a shout at 883-4389.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

It looks like we just have to organize it. Thanks for the boat offer Mark. Who wants to do the logistics? I'm happy to help.
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tweezer »

I'm keen. I'd be on a Formula board. Why stop at Dallas - how about Esquimalt to Sidney wind permitting? Trial Island would be a little tricky perhaps, and it might be hard to keep everyone together and safe over that distance. One day maybe... :wink:
windsurf247

esquimalt to dallas

Post by windsurf247 »

I knew someone who went from Jordan River to Willows!!! Now that's a journey. I wonder if anyone has circumnavigated the island on a windsurfer?? Maybe next summer..... :lol:
Russian Dood

fund raiser

Post by Russian Dood »

Why just go for the heck of it? Let's raise some money for a web cam we need. Let's call it "Cook street web cam run for the heck of it"
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Now that is a great idea. Lets get this thing organized.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Tam call me @ 656-0678. I have some ideas on howvto use an event like this to raise funds for the BWD site.
JL

Post by JL »

:P We could also consider Taylor beach in Metchosin as a start point..Thats Parry bay on a chart. It adds about 5 miles of downwind fun! I notice that Little Nitinat R. bridge is closed for the Canada day long weekend, maybe we could start a tradition of a Juan De Fuca weekend?!
Thermals are good.
Vic

Downwinder

Post by Vic »

Several years ago the Esquimalt to Brochie(spelling ?) Ledge was a popular race !