Cabo San Lucas to La Ventana?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Cabo San Lucas to La Ventana?

Post by winddoctor »

Hi Baja veterans,

A few of us are looking at options for transportation from Cabo to La Ventana. We will have kite gear only. What tends to be the most economical/reasonable way to go? Rental car? Bus? Cab? Burro?

Muchas Gracias,

Chris
Poultry in motion
AC

HEy All Baja Travelers

Post by AC »

I will be there from the January 15 onward to the 30th and already have rented a car for those times. If you are arriving in Lavantana around those times i would be happy to pick u up at the airport.
I have just recently payed $680 for return ticket there
for the 15 day period. Car rental is about$ 250 a week.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hi AC,

That's a fantastic offer, but I'll be in LV from the 1st of Jan until the 12th, so I'll just miss you. Bummer. Thanks anyway!! So is a rental the way to go for transportation?

Cheers,

Chris
Poultry in motion
j_dog
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by j_dog »

Hey Chris,
A few years ago, my wife and I caught a bus (greyhound equivalent) from Cabo to La Pas (they don't go straight to LV from Cabo) and then a taxi from La Pas to LV.

The bus ride was pretty cool, we watched a Rambo movie in Mexican and saw some pretty cool scenery and stopped at a few villages on the way, to drop off and pickup people. Kiteboarding gear wasn't an issue.

I can't remember the price, i think it was about $40USD each for the bus. Then about $50 USD for the taxi to LV from La Pas.

All other winters we arrived in La Pas so it wasn't an issue.

With a rental you will probably have more freedom to check stuff out enroute to LV. I have never rented a car there and been there 4 times. But it can be useful to check out different areas if you have one or hook up with someone that has a rental 8)

Have a good time down there, I blew my money on Brazil this summer so I'll be here in Vic this winter :twisted:

Cheers J.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Cheers, J Dog!
Poultry in motion
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Cabo San Lucas to La Ventana

Post by rvanderbyl »

I'm not sure but I think you can pick up a rental car at the airport then just drop it there when you leave. Others could confirm please. That's your best case scenario. If you are down there for a short time, this gives you the freedom to check out a lot of places without depending on others.
Why aren't YOU out there?
AC

hey hey

Post by AC »

Most air ports have car rentals at it.
and would maybe suggest guarantee a car online with a card.
and sort a price out.
and maybe stick with one of the brands thrifty or budget.
i rented a car for 2 weeks at 226 per week.
unlimited miles.
TomS

Bus to La Ventana

Post by TomS »

With the rental car, the required Mexican Insurance will take a bite out of your wallet and you don't know where you are going. Then when you arrive in LaVentana you don't need a car.

I suggest from the Los Cabos Airport that you can walk the 1/2 kilometer to the Mex 1 highway overpass. There is a bus stop underneath, take either the ABC or Aguilla buslines to the La Paz terminal. I think the buses are hourly from San Jose del Cabo bus station to LaPaz.

From LaPaz the options are to have friends pick you up, taxi or stay overnight and then catch the LaVentana bus at 2 PM local time. It is located at Nicolas Bravo and Preto streets near the Bravo Market. Any cab driver can take you to "Marcado Bravo". There are 3 Blue/White buses parked from 8 AM - 2 PM. All 3 buses are marked El Sargento/La Ventana but only the last bus parked furthest back goes to LaVentana and there are sign posts marked Los Planos or El Sargento / La Ventana. Make sure you are 10 minutes early and ask the bus driver if it is the La Ventana bus. No problem taking lots of sailing gear on board in the back of the bus. They will drop you off at any of the sailing resorts or campsites in La Ventana.

On the return the bus leaves El Sargento / La Ventana for La Paz at 7 AM.
Every day of work takes 8 hours off your life.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Fantastic help everyone; very much appreciated.

Chris
Poultry in motion
Windsurfish

Rental Car

Post by Windsurfish »

Hi Chris - if you decide on a rental car, I'd not drive at night. Cows rule the night roads in Baja, which are sometimes treacherous even in the day. Sorry we'll miss you - we're back on the 1st from La Paz. Have a great trip! :D :D :D
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Hey Chris, If you do rent a car which will give you much more freedom obviously, to go to Todo Santos area for surfing when there is no wind, great snorkelling at cabo pulmo, hotsprings canyon at aqua caliente etc..

There are 2 routes to drive to La Ventana from San Jose del Cabo airport: 1. Pacific side which goes up to La Paz and then down to La Ventana or 2. East side which gets somewhat tricky where the road takes off east from San Antonio and is not paved and can even go along a river where you are detoured (permanently) off the old road which is washed out - but is a shorter route. To be safe take the Pacific Route. Either route will take about 3 hours if memory serves, depending on current road conditions.

I'll be in the main campground, or one of the 2 arroyos to the north.

See you there Chris (and Steph?) 8)

PS - I remember Art being a little frustrated last year w/out a car and saying next year he was driving. But Tom is correct - if you can navigate your way to the bus or taxi in La Paz and get to La Ventana then you don't really need to go anywhere. And there's always someone with a car that is driving somewhere.
curses - foiled again!
Tom B

Post by Tom B »

Yes, a few years ago when I visited Los Barriles, we took the bus from the Cabo airport. We took a cab to Santa Anita (10 kms north of the airport), then waited for a "Aquilara" bus. This was no problem, and I think you could catch a bus from in front of the airport on the highway also. Best to get some pesos, water, and snacks before leaving the airport though. tom.
TomS

Post by TomS »

An update on the shortcut road from San Antonio to San Juan de Los Planos / La Ventana...........The road is paved and in very good shape.
Every day of work takes 8 hours off your life.
Cj

Post by Cj »

I drove the route between LaVentana and SanAntonio yesturday, on our way to Todos for a few days of surf. The road is way faster now that it's paved. I would say that is now the best way to head up from Cabo. You could probably make the whole trip in about 2.5 hours and not even get lost. Maybe even stop in LosBarrillas for a sail along the way. I here there is snow in Vic...hahahaha!
somebody said " go fly a kite".
Cj

Post by Cj »

I rented a car at the airport in LosCabos, drove the long way around because I didn't know if that section of road was paved or marked. Drove into LaVentana to drop off my gear. the next day I had some friends convoy back up to LaPaz airport with me and I dropped off the car there for a $50 extra charge, it was worth it to me to save the money. The total costs to do that was about $125 including there insurance.
somebody said " go fly a kite".