tuttle fin hardware

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

tuttle fin hardware

Post by tempy »

Where can I get screws and dowel pins for tuttle fins in Nanaimo?

I bought dowel pins at North Shore ski and board a week or so ago and they were wider than the fin (?!!). In other words they fit into the fin, but then stuck out either side of the fin. (I thought they would all be the same (fin) width, but evidently not)

I am off to Nitinat this weekend for 10 days and am hoping to get some hardware before I go.

Nothing at Home Hardware - I am guessing they are specialty items.

Thanks.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

hardware makeshift

Post by KUS »

maybe deep tuttle fins r wider? :shock: mark and cut the brass hardware off with hacksaw, it's soft, insert and file surface smooth again as needed. Alternative temporary use a square nut and insert after filing (hardcore); best stainless bolts in automotive shop, NOT home hardware, look for SAE stamps although there shouldn't really be a whole lot of strain on them but the typical Can Tire stainless things rust on the first day. :evil:
Not sure of bolt size, width, take dowel &board along. It's either metric (you poor slob) or standard (easier to get) and either fine (stronger) or coarse (more common) thread. try another bolt you have, the take it along if it fits and hold it along one you get at the store to ensure similar thread, get long ones, it's tough to make the short ones longer.... :wink: If ya don't want to cut them, get stainless washers and a rubber washer to pick up slack. Kus
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
windsurf247

fins

Post by windsurf247 »

Shall we start calling you "McGyver"?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

hey

Post by KUS »

dude, where have you guys been?? Miss sailing/camping with ya, plan to be up at the lake for July 21-24, maybe see you then

Tuttle- I speak from experience :roll: as I have 4 diff diameter bolts, both standard and metric and all different lengths as my 4 tuttles are all different on the boards.....geeez, what are the manufacturers thinking? they're not, or..... they are sadists....
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Cam
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Cam »

If the screws fit into the nuts you bought it is easiest to just file down the ones you have or drill out the holes in the fin to fit the nuts.

There are 1/4" x 20 Thread tuttle screws for N. America and 6mm x 1mm in Europe unfortunately you'll find both in use here and they are not compatible.

Bosun down here also have those parts. And a marine outfitter may have them in Nanimo.