vision correction surgery

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i thought there was a thread on this a while ago but i cant seem to track it down. I am curious who has had this done, what your experience was and if you are a fan or not. If you had it done locally or in Vancouver can you name doctors or send me a pm please. i am considering getting it done this year (or i could go to maui) . hmmmm.. can you get it done in mexico for cheap? 8) :lol:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Sent you a PM on the subject!

You can't go wrong with Dr. Nick Riveria, 1-800-DOCTORB, The 'B' is for Bargain!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i dont really want to go to vancouver but i have read some strange things lately about the victoria operation, family legal battles and murder plots, that sort of thing.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Yeah, based on what has been in the news about the Victoria one... I'd say it's way to sketchy to trust them with your eyesight (and life potentially!).
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

I has LASIK in 2001 in Victoria at VCLC from Dr Nelson:
http://www.see-better.com/default.asp

I'm very happy with the results. I had slightly dry eyes before and they did get a bit drier but they are okay. Night vision is fine. It is so much better not wearing contacts or glasses.

If you want to save money I've seen do it yourself kits on the interweb for $19.99 that come with a laser pointer and an exacto knife. It doesn't look that complicated.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

bwd wrote:If you want to save money I've seen do it yourself kits on the interweb for $19.99 that come with a laser pointer and an exacto knife. It doesn't look that complicated.
Funniest thing on the site for a long time - good one BWD!

The possible night vision complication has stopped me from doing it. I'd sure love to be able to sail without contacts though! Taking them out after you've left them in too long is comparable in misery to putting a wet wetsuit on during winter.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

yes the potential night vision complication freaks me out as i drive at night a lot.. i think the newer methods can get around it though. there is a ton of info out there to read up on.
Barb W

Post by Barb W »

Dave, I had it done in 2005 by Dr. Colin Nelson at Victoria Corneal Laser Centre. There are different options with different risks. I had Photoreactive Keratectomy (PRK), because of the thinness of my cornea, too thin to create a flap. PRK has less risk of complications than Lasik, but the recovery time is longer. Post op you have to use corticosteroid eyedrops for a few months, this slows down the healing preventing formation of scar tissue. I was good to drive in 4 days, didn't notice much difference in night vision, (mine's always been sketchy).
You need to get assessed by a local eye Doc who will do your follow up checks, or go to the place you had it done for follow up.
You definitely DO NOT want to look for bargain prices or air miles. Get a Doc with plenty of experience and equipment that is well looked after. Ask how many procedures get done per day.
I wish I had done it many years ago, it's so great to get rid of glasses and contacts. But it was scary reading about what can go wrong. I felt like a crazy person when I signed the consent form.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

thanks for the input!
one thing that bugs me about the victoria operation; they have a basic lasik, a mid-level package and a top dollar "iLasik' deal with the latest machine. "its the one endorsed by tiger woods' (still? i have to wonder) :lol:
so who wouldnt want to pick the the best option. but it sounds like a cable company trying to upsell you a premium package.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Personally I wouldn't opt for the extended warranty.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Had PRK a number of years back, before Lasik (flap and zap) was available - more scar tissue and much longer healing process. Would stay away from PRK as surface distortions seem to vary a lot with eye dryness and this really affects night vision! Hard to sail at IV/OR coast at dusk! (Seriously)
We windsurf - life must be good!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

I had my eyes frickin' laser beamed by Dr King (pre-murder plot) in 2005 and have been generally very happy with my vision. I have noticeably poorer night vision in one eye, but the benefits have outweighed this negative by far. Years ago I had to drive back from IV with no contacts after a wave knocked them out. Squinting hard for half an hour (while smoking, texting, talking on my cell and eating my lunch) until I made it home sucked. Lasik is pretty incredible. I still have better than 20/20 vision now. Maybe even super-vision.
Poultry in motion
Sandy Beach

blindly multitasking

Post by Sandy Beach »

:lol:
wd...smoking on the water only maybe.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

well if you seek you will find :lol:

http://www.lasikathome.com/

more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

What a weird site (pun intended)! Its a joke, but I bet a lot of people reading it would take it quite seriously! I like the little disclaimer on the 'painless' statements. Its almost exactly as BW Dave envisioned (pun intended).