Where should I go!? HAWAII

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bigtrib
Website Donor
Website Donor

Where should I go!? HAWAII

Post by Bigtrib »

Hey 'errbody,

So the family is going on a Vaca. on spring break... To Hawaii! So far were spending a week in maui then another somewhere else. Im looking for some imput as to where we should for a nice place to be.... and more importandly good windsurfing! I'm sure lots of you have been and i need to know where a good place chill out at windsurf is, im not bringing my gear so i need to rent there. expensive?

Also I had made a goal to be living somewhere tropical teaching sailing by day and windsurfing by night by the time im 20. As of november i only have a year left! Has anyone lived in Hawaii that can tell me about the legality of working and anything else i should probably know?

Thanks for reading!
"DK
Just stoked...
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Maui is great, going back for my 3rd time in a month, there is plenty of info on here if you search the forums.

As for working there - It is super hard to get a visa unless you are a student or coming for a professional position. If you are able to secure a Visa it is likely the term will be fairly short term which means you are coming back to Canada every once and a while (not cheap) to keep things legit. That said, a lot of people work there illegally, and they do it for years with no issues. There is a good thread on the Hotsailsmaui.com forum that talks about moving to Maui. I am guessing it is probably a lot easier to go to Western Australia or South Africa and probably get better conditions, but more sharks. Though its six of one and half dozen the other when you compare the sharks to us border guards. So you choose!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Hi Dane;

I am by no means an expert regarding windsurfing in Hawaii but another place you can consider that has good windsurfing, other than Maui, is Kailua Bay. It's a half hour from Waikiki on Oahu and there are rentals so close that you don't need a car to get the stuff to the beach

http://www.kailuasailboards.com/windsurfing.html

We got a little push cart and wheeled it the 10 minutes to the rigging area at the park. I sailed there once a while back and it was pretty nice but my sailing was in a different stoke space at that time. It's reputed to be one of the worlds most beautiful half-moon bay beaches and I wouldn't argue with that assessment.

Have a look here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Sii7o9CPY

Mike
I wish my TOW was longer!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

hey dane, we might be out there around the same time.. im pushing for mexico but getting out voted. just do a forum search for maui, theres too much info to regurgitate. hawaii i have no idea. about work, maybe ask the guys at Hawaiian surf n sport, there were a couple canadians there my last trip. im curious how you plan to windsurf by night! :lol:
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Ah - Hawaii - planning to do the same sometime soon, diff is I've been going since '85 steadily and know where I need to live and have that majical US passport. REALLY hard to work there now, even illegally, as so much unemployment and Immigration crackdown on employers who get caught. Best way may be to go to school there, Maui Community or UH, get a student visa, and work legally as part of education, then apply for green card thru employer if possible.

All Hawaiian Islands are completely different worlds almost, different vibe, tolerance, personalities, try each if at all possible, and even Maui has different vibe depending where you live. Stick to Oahu or Maui if windsurfing is main goal.

Go for it and good luck!
We windsurf - life must be good!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

This brings up a good question. I've been to Oahu but just assumed all the windsurfing is on Maui. Are there spots that see quite a bit of wind sport traffic on Oahu still?
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Um ..... See above ..... I've seen people windsurfing at Diamond head as well. Looked like good side shore wave sailing.

See http://sparks-hawaii.blogspot.com/2007/ ... -head.html
I wish my TOW was longer!
duckbill

living abroad

Post by duckbill »

my sister lives in Perth western australia, i've been a couple of times. There is tons of work in western oz for foreigners. There is a bit of a subculture of travelling workers. If you are serious pm me and I can put you in touch with people there. My sister works for the department of sport and rec. Awesome windsurfing all up and down the west coast.
like a duck to water
AC

Post by AC »

Augusta, Albany, MAndura,Fremantle,Perth,Lancilin,Geralton,
So many places in Perth , You will never get tired of kiteboarding.
It is amazingly diverse for all kind of conditions from flat water
to double Head.
If you can afford the time and $ . Perth is the best place
I have ever seen for kiteboarding and a good time.
If you need work. Just pick up the phone book and make some calls.
most people pay up to 25$ an hour cash for workers.

Definitely not here Bill, Your board"" I left it next to the tree.
I thought you were coming back for more:)
Last edited by AC on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nimpkish-Bill

Post by Nimpkish-Bill »

Where does one find that "Double Head " Dwayne? I'll pay $25 an hour for that. Did you pick up my board at Nat?
Winger

Post by Winger »

If you are going with your family the best place to stay is in Kihei. 3 long beachs with mostly condos which are great for the family and you can load up at Costco and BBQ etc. Best sailing is on the north shore and it is a 30 minute drive. North shore is windy and not really family orientated. I have been going to Maui for 25 years now and love it. Give me a call if you want more info 250-216-4220 ( Dave) I will be there from Mar 12th to April 26th this year.
Winger
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

6 weeks!!! SO JEALOUS!
Winger

Post by Winger »

And some band aids!!!
Winger
Bigtrib
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bigtrib »

Lots of ideast here! Just got home from thanksgiving in karmeos! I hope everyone got their fair share of turkey!

So heres what we've decided so far... The fam. and I will be spending one week on the island of hawaii (for them) and one week somewhere else (for me). I'm thinking Kailua Bay or maui unless someone knows anywhere better. I'm not really looking for waves cause im a newb... kailua BAY should have less eh?

As for moving, im leaning towards australia.... I'll PM ya pretty soon here DuckBill. I have to try and find somewhere i can coach sailing so maby your sister can help me out there.

I just had a feww more questions about traveling:

Has anyone had problems with board or gear damage on the plane? I'm not sure if i should being my gear with me or not... renting may cost me but atleast I wont have any problem with breaking retal gear doing flips.... Dwd.
And is there anywhere in particular in maui?

Thanks for all the input. I'm getting "Just Stoked" here!
Just stoked...
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

With the multiple stops, you may pay more for travelling with wsf gear than a one-week rental. Check it out carefully, and I've had board damage from being dropped on tail (had to be a long vertical drop based on damage, thanks ALASKA AIRLINES!!! :evil: and lost a couple hours repairing it. Kailua is definitely flatter than Maui, but rental gear may be limited now, Maui is definitely set-up for the most choice and more likely to be windy.
We windsurf - life must be good!