Comox Area Sailing

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
G-Daddy

Comox Area Sailing

Post by G-Daddy »

Hmmm... just checked the wiki and there is beta on the spit but nothing else in the Comox area. My mother-in-law lives above the spit so I'll probably try there this Friday if we can make it in decent time with the kids. Any other spots that work well on a SE? How is the Point Holmes area? We'll be there Saturday for a Turkey Dinner with family walking distance from the beach. I might be able to get a sail in before dinner... Anyone who sails the area have any useful beta?
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

some place called 'alders beach' was mentioned here as a SE spot at one time. i know nothing about it. 8)
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Alders is a apparently a choice spot. More side-on then the onshore craziness at the spit? Wish the locals would just cough up their secrets......
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

If it's anything like the orientation of Columbia to the Strait the wind strength in a good SE up here would make it epic. It's raging here right now... house feels like it's gonna get blown off the hill.
frank

Post by frank »

to find side-shore condition in that area, I guess you gotta motor to Tree island(next to the comox bar)...!!?? anyone done that yet...!!??
"I stand strong in da babylon...i'm the captain of my soul" Burning Spear
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

here it is, a local giving up the secret, drive down to Columbia, its worth it.

The spit is good on the outside, if you can get off the beach, sail down to the naval base area and there the spit turns a bit. the waves are pretty good down there.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

it is my goal this year to sail upwind to tree island and check it out...see big waves out there...just need to give it a little effort to get there and have a great downwinder to get home.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
frank

Post by frank »

hey KDale, ....make sure to fully report on this upcomin Tree island scoping session.....!!!?
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Thanks Joostio, found the area near the base and had some great rides out there. Nice sandy bottom and a little more side shore. Plus had a few good poundings in the onshore break in front of the parking area to keep me honest.

Tree Island and Alders are the spots apparently. Plus multiple other options en route to Alders as the coast turns northward near the airport. Conditions there should gradually become more sideshore and likely the windiest part of the Strait when it's being hammered by a SE.

Sailed with Corey B (Waterman) on the outside today and he was raving about both spots. Easiest option for Tree Island would be a boat from Union Bay, it would be a hell of a long upwind battle to make it there and back.

CB is great, but the Comox area has some killer wind and wave potential too. It's good to explore. Plus the SE does tend to crank pretty hard up here. Lazo and Sisters are often sitting at the top of the pack. With the longest fetch and some of the strongest winds slamming into the 'North Shore' of the Mox I'm pretty sure there is some killer terrain up there.....

But hey, I could be wrong. It probably sucks. You might not want to check it out......
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

G-Unit... I am not sure about how I feel about flat water, but on the outside you are saying it is as good as CB?

Tree Island has good crabbing and a remote lord of the flies feel to it. Might be a fun place for a 3 day SE campout, I'll be Piggy!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
frank

Post by frank »

nanmoo!

you can anchor in Henry Bay and dinghy over to Sandy/Treeisland very easily on a SE...or even anchor right off Tree Island, but soft sand, need a good plow anchor(i've dragged there,)...

so i'm sure that Henry Bay is best to anchor, and could probably just cross over to LONGBREAK POINT (must have a name for a reason!!!???)at the north end of Denman to launch the toys...

Joostio, ....living there on the water, do you have an outboard to cross Baynes to Henry bay/LongbreakPoint to scope it out!!?? it is right accross where you are....!!???
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I've been to Tree Island many times growing up, it is probably my favorite Island on the coast, followed closely by Thormamby, which probably would also be good on an SE. But I am thinking you couldn't just dinghy out there on a 30 knot SE, wouldn't that be one hell of a ride?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
waterman

Comox Windsurfing/Kiting Spots.

Post by waterman »

Lots of good spots in the Comox area all you need is the right guide. Their are 4 spots that will give you CB like conditions or better depending on the tide. Places are Airforce Beach, Kin Beach Park, King Coho, and Alders Beach Resort. Each of these places offers certain extras like hot showers, gear rinsing areas, food venders, and or grass rigging areas. It would be great to see some of the south end stoke make its way north. Oh ya, the Goose spit is a freestylers haven. Tree Island, leave Union Bay Boat ramp and take refuge at Tree Island itself, you will sail off of the north tip , the water is Huge and jumps are beastly large, sail OP and you will reap the benifets, just have a reliable boat or a jetski for rescue. :D
frank

Post by frank »

hey waterman, thanks for the coming out...now we now where! maybe you should update the BWDwiki...!!??
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Hmmm.... I just received the following PM. I've removed the identifiers.

Dude,

Do you see that the Spit has a limited carrying capacity?
You seem to take a lot of pleasure in dramatically exposing your 'new' discovery, pissing off the locals, and have little concern to those that have been sailing there for a long time. I am new to the Spit scene as well, but it is obvious that the place can only hold a half dozen kites, and windboarders on the inside. If you are trying to further alienate yourself from that community keep up your rants-

Glad you got some great winds in a very special place.

Peace,
XXXXX

Here is my reply:

Are you for real? I'm not sure how to respond to that. That's such a narrow sighted way of seeing things it makes me sad. The wind community is not that big. Instead of being all secretive and territorial, we need to stick together, and push for progress.

I know a few of the locals pretty well. Some of whom have been sailing the spit for over two decades. They realize that space at the spit is limited, but they're also keen to let people know about it's potential and see windsports grow in the Comox Valley.

Instead of being negative, do something positive.... let people know it's a great spot, get organized, and push to have those damn boats cleared out or moved downwind. Then there would be more room, for more sailors, and who knows, a kiting/windsurfing school? Local competitions? A local shop?

Peace and good wind. See you out on the water.
G

I put this into the forum for a number of reasons. First and foremost because it is reasonable to acknowledge that there is currently limited capacity for kiting at the spit due to the boats moored there. There is unlimited space for windsurfers as they can work their way around the boats, but it's a major hazard for kiters limiting their potential to spread out downwind.

Second because I firmly believe the spot has huge future potential, and the solution isn't about keeping others out but working together as a community to make it better.

Thank you to Waterman who has been sailing the Comox area for decades for his positive attitude and sharing beta on the area with the rest of the BWD community. That kind of approach is what will make our sports grow.