Oregon Wavesailing Trips 2011

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

nanmoo

Oregon Wavesailing Trips 2011

Post by nanmoo »

Well now that it's 2011... Yeah I know I am getting this one going REALLY early, but some people (I think?) have to start laying out vacation plans at work soon.

I have a tentative plan is to possibly visit Santa Cruz for the wave contest in May, but this would be more ideal if there was someone to travel with. However, apparantly there are a lot of sharks there, so not entirely sure about this one. If anyone is interested, let me know.

More important is Pistol. My plan is probably going to be to head down to Gold Beach June 10th, staying for the week, and then heading home after the Pistol River Wave Bash in around June 20.

Like I said, probably getting this going a bit to early, but ah well I am already counting the days!
Last year was amazing, looking forward to more.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Yep, planning firm vacation days without knowing a forecast, WHO DOES THAT:?: :?: :?: Apparently we do
I got screwed on vacation weeks this year through Seniority and a few related factors so mid to end June and third week of July my only times til September....I may have to quit :roll: .....working that is.....even tho I have a year off with pay coming up April 2012 :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Holy Sh1t Markus, how can two weeks off June and another late July count as getting screwed? :roll: That seems like prime time to me. I've never ever had more than 10 or 11 days off at a time my whole life, and that once and sometimes twice every few years. And a whole year off with pay? WTF! How do you manage to get that? Thats better than retirement!

I guess if I hadn't had a job that I considered fun, I would have managed more holidays!

Back on topic, with my reevaluation of holiday time, I'm thinking maybe Maui in the spring, see what happens with work re: Oregon Coast/Gorge for June
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

more force 4 wrote:Holy Sh1t Markus, how can two weeks off June and another late July count as getting screwed? :roll: That seems like prime time to me. I've never ever had more than 10 or 11 days off at a time my whole life, and that once and sometimes twice every few years. And a whole year off with pay? WTF! How do you manage to get that?
well for one, it's best not to compare apples to oranges, for another I won't work in an environment that is not flexible or is fun in itself so u don't need a vacation....the ski industry was like that.....and i have been doing my line of work for too long (shit, 25 years mostly in management levels) to have someone tell me I cannot have a particular week or two off.....my year off is a deferred salary plan, made dick compared to my previous salaries over past 3 years....(won't even know what to do with all that time off, they wouldn't go 3 months after 2 yrs even tho it was to their advantage).....just seemed like a good idea at the time since I'm debt free and great at spending spare cash :roll: :oops:
Last edited by KUS on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!

morewind

Post by morewind »

targeting last 2 weeks of June for OR coast, or Gorge as 2nd choice. :D
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

morewind wrote:targeting last 2 weeks of June for OR coast, or Gorge as 2nd choice. :D
Ditto-ish.
Poultry in motion
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Hmm, well if everyone is going last two weeks in June then I guess I'll push it back a week a follow suite, no sense being the only Canadian flavored shark biscuit on the water.

Kus - I keep trying to commit to starting a deferred salary leave as well, but it's hard when you still do have a mortgage! And well, for my generation, we are going to have a mortgage for some time to come living in Victoria! But a year off.. damn, that would be nice but also so much time to fill!
Last edited by nanmoo on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

What are the Wave Bash dates this year? I'm hoping to take 5 weeks again, 2 weeks starting on the Friday of the bash, and the last 2 weeks of July/first week of August. All the crowds left after the wave bash so that worked out well.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

The wave bash is June 16-19th, 2011 Dave.
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

I am bashing this year :) And then may be last week of July
Cancer must die!
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Going to attempt a last week of July first week of August time frame. Probably not the entire time but that is my window.
Give'R
KC7777

Oregon wavesailing

Post by KC7777 »

Hey,

I am taking the summer semester off from teaching this year so no classes in last 2 weeks of June....just how good do you have to be not get killed sailing the coast?

I can waterstart pretty quick, jibes sketchy on Starboard, port jibes pretty good, jumps suck. I only get about 10 higher wind (<5.8M) sailing days a year.

Maybe I'll get in shape and come on this thing? Keen did it last year so I figure it is doable!

Gotta Fanatic Freewave 86L, (4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.8 Gaastra Poison wave sails) and a Starboard 9'8"x 30" SUP and a couple of surfboards....anything else I need?

PS - what suit is recommended....I have a 3/3 Promotion with removable arms...thinking a 4/3 long arm suit is the norm? Can you sail there without booties?
Last edited by KC7777 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I hadn't even bothered to attempt/learn gybes before I went last year. Crash and start was my methodology, it works fine, just don't think about the sharks because you will be spending more time in the water then most. A lot of the time on your inside turn you come into the beach and beach start anyways, so you are only crashing on the outside. Now that I know how to gybe, I realize those nice big swell on the outside would have been perfect for learning on, just ride down one and you keep your speed while you figure out the rest!

Be prepared for a few good douchings through the rinse cycle no matter what.

Bottom line: You'll be fine Keith, and you'll never want to go back to flat water again you'll have so much fun.
Mike C

santa cruz

Post by Mike C »

Rumor is that if you get to santa cruz, you'll never want to sail the Rock ever again. I have no first-hand experience with Davenport but I might be able to swing a late may/early june expedition.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Strange, Santa Cruz is my destination this year, hope it happens 8)
Wish less, sail more!!