Worn Depower Rope Advice?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Colin Northway

Worn Depower Rope Advice?

Post by Colin Northway »

Hey all

I've got a '06 North Rhino and bar. I don't get out that much every year so the kite's still in fine condition. What isn't in fine condition is the the depower rope. It's pretty ragged and isn't being held in place by the cleat at all.

I was thinking I could just head down to a marine supply store and pick up a new rope but people online don't seem to think that's a viable option. I also can't find any way to get a propper North replacement here on the Island.

I'm just looking for some experienced guidance here. Should I consider a new bar?

Thanks a ton guys.

Colin Northway
Skeltic

Post by Skeltic »

Yup that will work, I got reams of that really cheap dienima (spelling_) rope, you can't buy the grey in any chandelier because it is the worst of the worst reserved for manufactures that go on the cheep.... north buys that stuff by the mega tonne, think north kites north sails ect

Buy the pink stuff or the blue stuff or manybe green. If they don't sell just the core on it's own then you might have to buy proper rope with cover and just take the cover off.you might have to learn top splice , no biggie once you know how. If you haven't figured it out by the time you make it to Port Alberni find me and I will sort you out.
GregK

Post by GregK »

Usually the chicken loop depower rope is made from a grey Dyneema, US trade name for Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE ) - in Europe this stuff goes by the trade name Spectra.

Marine supply stores usually carry Samson blue ( http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=192 ) which is the Cadallac of Dyneema single-braid ( just braided dyneema - no outer protective cover of polyester ).

But Samson also make a single-braid Dyneema in various colours - called just Amsteel ( http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?ind ... 190&inst=1 ).

Other rope makers produce this stuff too, just make sure you get Dyneema / Spectra and not polyester or nylon, it won't stand up ...
Last edited by GregK on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
Colin Northway

Post by Colin Northway »

Holy smokes guys! Super informative and just the news I wanted to hear.

Thanks a ton! See you on the water!

Colin Northway
blackdogvan

Post by blackdogvan »

Trotac in Victoria sells it.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Capital Iron in Victoria sells it too.
AC

"

Post by AC »

You may want to replace the clam cleat also if you can ?