psychofreak fsw 4.5 3.5 vs mutant 5 4 or 4 3

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
paulie_aus

psychofreak fsw 4.5 3.5 vs mutant 5 4 or 4 3

Post by paulie_aus »

hey all, just wondering if anyone has any input on the difference between the psychofreak fsw 4.5 3.5 and the mutant 5 4 or 4 3(not sure what you need for the island, as i do get cold easy,) would appreciate any input, thanks for the help...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

mutant doesn't appear to come in XLT when I checked yesterday, that's an issue for me :roll: and I like the idea of the split spread of thickness, should be good for 10-11 months of the year :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

If you get cold easy I'd probably go for the 5/4, I use my 5/4/3 Infinity year round (surfing), I wasn't too hot in Nitinat in august (with the hood down), and could still sorta feel my hands and feet Jan 2nd in Jordan River
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

If you buy only one suit, a 5/4 is the way to go for sure. 2 suits; buy a 6/5/4 for deep winter luxury and a 4/3 for spring/summer mobility. The PsychoFreak is only slightly warmer for its thickness than a non-air core suit.

Ocean Rodeo here also makes a couple of drysuit variations that will keep you warm all season.

SUPing you can easily get away with a thickness or two thinner than you'd windsurf or kite in as you are working harder and stay pretty warm.
Poultry in motion
paulie_aus

Post by paulie_aus »

thanks for all the info, think i might try the 5 4 mutant and see how it goes, i like the idea of being able to take the hood of and put back on, rather then have it stitched on, anyone recommend any good wetsuit stores on the island? i live in courtenay but dont mind the drive if it saves afew dollers, thanks again.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I've got 3 years under my 5/4 mutant, warm enough in the winter wind, hood off in the summer sun, works great. Plenty warm for SUP or surfing all year too. Maybe flushes a bit more due to the hood design but no big deal. I'll probably get a 4th season out of it, something like 200-250+ sessions by the time it's toast. Only suit I have save a POS shorty for the lakes.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

With the mutant, watch the zippers like a hawk watches a bunny. My mutant went from no problems whatsoever, to the zipper sometimes letting go (I blamed the beer), to it happening all the time. I noticed a tooth missing, then a couple more Unfortunately, I was too late to get it fixed under warranty, but there is a place in Vancouver to get them fixed if there is a problem. They charge me $90 to replace the zippers, which was a lot cheaper than getting a new suit - its 2 years old, maybe 70-80 sessions on it.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

more force 4 wrote:With the mutant, watch the zippers like a hawk watches a bunny. My mutant went from no problems whatsoever, to the zipper sometimes letting go (I blamed the beer), to it happening all the time. I noticed a tooth missing, then a couple more Unfortunately, I was too late to get it fixed under warranty, but there is a place in Vancouver to get them fixed if there is a problem. They charge me $90 to replace the zippers, which was a lot cheaper than getting a new suit - its 2 years old, maybe 70-80 sessions on it.
Same here with the zippers. The newer Mutant zippers are horrible. Broke the zip on my hood twice.
Poultry in motion
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

That is a major bummer. I'd hate to have to find a different suit to purchase as the older zippers seemed to be fine, hopefully they sort it out soon.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Seakelp

Post by Seakelp »

Here's the scoop on the psycho 4.5 3.5. It is the best suit I ever owned. As warm as a 6.5mm with the stretch of a 4mm Great for surfing I had mine for 3 years now and no complaint. Highly recommended.
paulie_aus

Post by paulie_aus »

Good to know about the zippers. Was wondering what you do about wearing a hood seakelp? Do they have one that slides under the wetsuit cause I can't seem to find any, all the ones they show go Over the to of the suit and I think they would either come of or leek? Thanks again for all the info
Seakelp

Post by Seakelp »

I got a O neil hood http://www.oneill.com/#/men/americacana ... ood/black/

So you're not stuck with a hood in summer months on the coast
paulie_aus

Post by paulie_aus »

that looks nice, does it sit on the inside or outside of the suit? (havent had to wear a hood before), thanks again for the info
paulie_aus

Post by paulie_aus »

quick update, got the mutant 5 4 from island longboards, guys there were great, love the suit for surfing in but havnt tried kiting in it yet, the flexibalty is pretty good and the warmth is unreal, keeps you nice and toasty, gettin in and out takes alot of getten used to after owening a back zip but defently like te extra flex around shoulders and back for paddiling. all in all would defently recomend to anyone buying a suit on the island. thanks again for all the info