Big gear/light wind

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
chewy

Big gear/light wind

Post by chewy »

Looking for light wind gear as it seems Nanaimo rarely gets above 15kn, although with winter SE on the way we will see. What would be better, something like a 150L Go or a Carve 140ishL. Is a large carve still an OK learning board for others? Next question, how big a sail do I need for a big board and light wind, will a 8.5 or so suffice?

Cheers from windstarved Nanaimo
sailworksman

Post by sailworksman »

Hey Chewy,

I had a 10.1 for sale but I just sold it.

I have a Go 200 and I use a 10.5 Sailworks Retro in Kelowna. These boards are totally wicked. The G0 will be the great choice for you. The width with a honking fin and sail will get you planing in 10 knots. I am a heavyweight hence the 200 liters. The Carve would be on OK option but because the Go is way wider and can handle big fins you are better off for light winds. Don't let the size scare you. The Go's are very forgiving and act like a freeride board. They do however require commitment when gybing. Unlike true formula boards, the Go's like to go across the wind better rather than being built for up and downwind speed. They do however do that well too. If the Go will be your only board and the wind starts to pick up, it can be a handfull in the chop. I usually get off mine in about 20 knots. Kelowna is known for big waves and chop but it can handle it with a bit of ease if you are the daredevil type. I also use my 8.5 Sailworks Retro on it too.

My quiver is as follows for heavyweights:

Starboard Go 200-200L (use with 8.5 & 10.5 Sailworks Retro's)
F2 Powerglide 145-145L (use with 6.0, 7.0 & 8.5 Sailworks Retro's)
HiFly 275 FX-103L (use with 6.0 & 7.0 Sailworks Retro, 5.2 Neil Pryde R.A.F. Jet or 4.2 Hot Sails Maui Spiderlok.)

Check out my site and see how many times I used this set up and under what conditions under "Captains Log" http://members.shaw.ca/graz/Main.htm

Hope that helps!
chewy

Post by chewy »

Sailworksdude

Thanks for the help, it seems everone thinks I should get the GO, I just want to make sure before forking out the money.

Cheers
BigD

GO for it

Post by BigD »

I bought a 190L 2000 GO board at the beginning of summer and I love it. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Goes fast and has footstrap positions for beginner, intermediate and advanced. I sail it lots on my 8.0 Retro but have also ridden it on a 4.6 up at Nitnat. I learned to use the foot straps and am starting to figure out water starts on it. The only criticism I have ever heard about the GO is that the footstraps are a bit soft. I found that if you use the hole in the straps(thre are 3) closest to your foot/edge of the board it helps keep them from twisting and stiffens then up.

Dallas