Bar&Lines For Each Kites or Not?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Teabag

Bar&Lines For Each Kites or Not?

Post by Teabag »

Hi everyone, I "finally/maybe" found an inflatable kite that has enough low bar pressure for me to switch back to inflatable. Anyway, I have a question about bar and lines, do most people always get one bar&lines for each kites or you mix 1 bar and lines for 2 kites sometimes?

I.E 1 bar and lines for the 9m and 11m and 1 bar and lines for 13m 15m as oppose to one for each kites.

Looking for advice from people that get 50+ sessions per years only please (and have been riding for a while enough with their kites) as I will more than likely get 50+ as well if I get the full quiver and would like to know if 1 bar and lines can last as long as the life of 2 kites if used every time with these 2 kites.

Thanks for any info, Ian
JL

Post by JL »

I use 1 bar & have a spare in case disaster strikes. I carry a repair kit & can make field repairs. Some kiters keep each bar permanently attached to it's kite. I'm glad your new kites are working for you Ian.
Thermals are good.
Alexk

Post by Alexk »

Back home 2 kites + 1 bar + 1 pump all last about a year, after that things start falling apart or breaking. I never washed my gear though, so that probably didn't help.

The only problem is when it comes to selling your kites, it's more of a hassle to sell a kite without a bar.

Also watch what bar sizes and kites you are matching, I would get the bigger of the two bars for each pair you are matching.
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Hey Ian,
One bar for all kite sizes of the same model. I use the same midsize bar for my 7M, 9M and 12M Switchblades. I tend to upgrade each year and sell off all my bars and kites. I usually end up with new bars with each kite (part of the deal) so I usually have 2 new bars and lines to pass on. I check my lines on occasion but I have never had a problem with Cabrinha lines. I flew the same set of bar and lines 150+ times with three different kites in 2011. I have 55 sessions this year on the new bar and lines that came with my 2012 Switchblades. No problems so far. I like the familiar width and feel of the same bar in my hands regardless of the kite size. Good luck with the Edge. I have flown that kite and it feels like it can do no wrong. It is a beautifully designed kite. It is the kite racers choice for the big guns for 2012.
BK

Post by BK »

I'd have to agree with Alex... Big pain to sell a kite by itself, especially if it is a brand not common to our waters...
smartang

Post by smartang »

It all depends on your riding style and your future kiteboarding goals.

I will use many different bars depending on what the wind is doing and what type of riding I want to push. You would be surprised how much you can affect the characteristics of a kite with bar width and line length. Here's some of my guidelines:
** I consider line length bar to kite, so inc leader lines and bridles

Smaller bars with short lines and longer depower rope for high gusty winds This allows to kite to hit the window's edge faster, killing the power in sketchy conditions. ex: Small kite with 17" bar and 20m lines.

Smaller bars with big chicken loops and shorter depower ropes for unhooked freestyle. ex: medium sized kites 17-19" bar with 20-23m lines. Short lines slack easier, small bars steer less when unhooked.

Larger bars with short lines for kiteloops since they give you more control of the loop arc, a more powerful loop and quicker recovery. ex: smaller kites with 20" bar, 18-20m lines.

Medium to larger bars with medium lines for big lofty airs, surfing and hooked in freestyle in moderate winds. More consistent pull than short lines since the kite sits a bit deeper. ex: 20-23" bar with 22-25m lines.

Great big bars with big kites in light winds. 23+" bar with 27m lines. Catch more wind and have the hydraulics to steer the big 14-17m.

Short lines any time there's a sketchy tight launch or crowded conditions.

All modern bar components and rigging except for the lines should outlast a kite under normal riding conditions. I replace my high wind and kiteloop lines every year or 2, the other lines will last for several years at 50 sessions depending on how well you care for them (rinse sand and salt asap, store cool, dry and dark).

If you have tennis elbow or another medical reason for needing low bar pressure then ride with the biggest bar possible without making the kite too fast to handle. Also, learn to pull with your traps not your biceps. As for kites, I highly recommend f-one bandit 4 and bandit 5. They have the most elbow friendly bar pressure of any kite I've ever flown, and will work well with any 4 line bar.

Credentials: Several head kite instructor jobs, well over 50 session/yr, and make 3-5 Frankenstein kite bars/yr, no sponsors, but I always appreciate a hookup.
Vik

Re: Bar&Lines For Each Kites or Not?

Post by Vik »

Teabag wrote:Anyway, I have a question about bar and lines, do most people always get one bar&lines for each kites or you mix 1 bar and lines for 2 kites sometimes?
I get a bar and lines for each kite. Often that's going to be a different size from another kite bar and it gives me a spare in case I have a problem I can't resolve on the beach.

So far I've only had a max of 3 kites from the same brand that I could share bars and I've had 3 bars.

If for some reason I had 4 or more kites from the same brand I'd probably stick with 3 bars as it's not likely I'll have more than 2 or 3 kites in use between my GF and I plus the odd friend who might want to try a kite.

At a minimum I'd want 2 bars if I had 2 or more kites from the same brand so I have a spare.

In terms of durability I'm still using the original bar/lines I learned on back in 2009.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Thanks to all.

I think Ill do:
1 bar for 11m & 9m (and maybe 7m if ever i get a 7m one day)
1 bar for 13m
1 bar for 15m
JL

Post by JL »

In English that's 2 bars. Makes sense: 1 small & 1 large :idea:
Thermals are good.
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Ian,
Are you getting some great deal on these kites or did you win the lottery?
BK

Post by BK »

I think he won them in a raffle... ;)
JL

Post by JL »

Part of a Military fitness package for French Canadians with medical issues :idea:
Thermals are good.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

I think I have to come clear with all of you now...

Remember that " I get all my kite gear stolen at Dallas Road", the multiple bar and lines missing at Nitinaht Lake, RocDoc missing board on the beach at Gordon beach, "my kite gear got stolen in my car last night" and Todd that got his van broken into but the thieft brought back his gear the following day...

Well, that was me. I suffer from advance Kleptomania, can't stop stealing from people. Hopefully you guys will understand, this is not my fault.

Nah, seriosuly I do not own these kite YET, I am far to be rich but I am going away on a 7 month deployment in July, so if I dont spend too much money when we hit the foreign port (crossing finger, I unfortunately can drink lots of money away in nightclubs) well Ill come back with a line of credit a lot lower than it is right now and will be able to buy 2 more kites. 13m and 9m. Then selling my almost brand new 12m and very used 15m Speed3 from Flysurfer and I will be able to get the 15m Edge.

That is it.

Only reason why I am not selling the Speed3 yet is that I still dont know how the bar pressure will be during higher wind on the Edge.

Anyone think that Nitinaht will hit the 25kts this weekend? I just need 25+kts for an hour!
JL

Post by JL »

Juan de Fuca is f-cast 15-25 Friday & Sat. Ian ... Good response !!!
Thermals are good.
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Maybe you should buy your kites BEFORE your deployment (just in case the price goes up) and leave them some place safe...where no one will steal them. I know of a place on Maui where you can leave them...where they will be safe...and taken care of.