Royal Victoria Kite Race

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

skywalker

Royal Victoria Kite Race

Post by skywalker »

Registration and details below

http://www.rvyc.bc.ca/index.php?option= ... 7faffa78e3

Racing rules soon to follow.
Attachments
RVYC-kiteboarding-posterLOW.jpg
RVYC-kiteboarding-posterLOW.jpg (962.34 KiB) Viewed 4996 times
Last edited by skywalker on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

was this photo taken in San Fran?

Does anyone know if there will be large upwind legs in the races or more reaching?? I'm not sure how many race boards there are on the island yet so I would suggest more of a cross-the-wind style course instead of an upwind course until more of the racers have the raceboards with giant fins.
curses - foiled again!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

A notice of race will be posted this week. It will have details to the whole race procedure.

There will be a twin tip class (less upwind) and a pro class. The pro class will have race boards and will be primarily unwind.

The courses will be short. We are focusing on getting as many starts in as possible. The starts are where local riders will gain the most experience.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

RVYC Kiteboard Race- Notice of Race just posted.

Details below

http://www.rvyc.bc.ca/index.php?option= ... 7faffa78e3
JL

Post by JL »

Good luck with the races :P
Thermals are good.
AC

"

Post by AC »

I think it would be best to tow a dock for launching in the flats in Oak Bay off willows where the water is Flat. That would be the best place to hold it.
And the conditions would be fair for everyone.
To many Obstacles and Debris , and chop, Unpredictable Tides.
Chop, etc. at Cook St
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

I'm counting on unpredictable tides for my advantage ;)
Vive et Ama
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Hi Skywalker,
Great news regarding the race. A few questions; Will competitors be allowed to compete in both classes (pro and twin tip)? Do you plan to get through 6 races in just over two hours (pro x 3 and twin tip x 3)? Any flexibility about the race meeting attendance on Tuesday? The Canadian National Kite-board Racing Championships are on August 4/5/6 at Squamish. The Victoria race might entice some racers from the Squamish event, although I suspect non locals will not want to come to Victoria for a Tuesday race meeting for a Thursday/Friday race. Maybe offer an out of towner race meeting for Thursday afternoon at the yacht club.

I suspect fleet launching for a race at Cook will be a bit of a dog’s breakfast (although not unmanageable), but the view of the race from the cliff top will be spectacular! I’m getting goose bumps!

Any thoughts about putting on a race clinic prior to the event? Might be a good way to get Johnny Heineken and/or Adam Koch to attend the race and pump up the troops.

If you are hoping to make this a low key event than please ignore much of the above. If not then yeehaa!!!!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Hi Folks:

Please get your race registration forms in now. -Remember this is a FREE race, so no reason to delay.

Questions-
  • The two classes will race simultaneously. So it is impossible to race in both.

The twintip class will start on a reaching course, and the immediately after the pro class will start on an upwind course.

No floating docks, feel free to bring your own.

Yes the launch will be a hair ball. It would be cool if local riders could offer a hand to imports, if we get any.

This is a low key event, as a preparation for next year, when the RVYC hopes to host weekly races, and actual kite regattas. We training up our race officers and volunteers with this race

Those who cannot make the race registration on the 6th must contact NOW so the race officers can decide if they are permitted in. The purpose of the race registration is to dicuss the course, safety and racing rules. Very important.

Clinics are a great idea for next year! Or sooner if anyone feels like volunteering.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Those of you without printers and scanners, please email all the info on the form to

and you will have to sign the waiver on the registration meeting
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

I'd be happy to help out in a race clinic and can be one of the race officers. We don't need much for a start line... Committee boat and pin for a start line and for windward / leeward or reaching courses a few marks to round... the starts are where its won and lost.. so the clinic would probably only focus on them with a very short course.

Maybe to get a better idea of the starts come crew on a boat Wednesday night at the RVYC... get there for 5, 5:30 at the latest to get on a boat.
AC

Post by AC »

I would be OK with Strongkiteboarding Teaching all new Instructors and Race assistants on how to pick up Kites from the water , and everything they will need to know on handling and Launching , Set up, and anything we can do to make everyone comfortable and understand how kites work, How to retrieve them in the water , Launch from boats, and even willing to
Help as rescue assistance with our own water craft for the race.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Is there a need for volunteers at all, or is that covered by the RVYC?
I'm definitely not racing but could more likely than not make it out to help out.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

AC & Small wave

Please PM me your email addresses so I can add you to our volunteer email list!

Thanks for your support
kyle

Post by kyle »

I probably won't be coming from Squamish to race this time, but kudos to you guys for getting it together! You'll have a blast with the racing... trust me.

Our Squamish Nationals event is now all full, but feel free to come over and join in the parties and get an idea of the racing scene. you'll still be able to go freeriding while the event is happening as well.