Money for nothing, at Nitinaht

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
heffe222

Money for nothing, at Nitinaht

Post by heffe222 »

Thinking about the lack of value for the camping fees at Nitinaht... check out Nitinaht - What Services? at Off Topic Forum
Geoff Hall (heffe222)
JL

Post by JL »

No one is forcing you to go :idea:
Thermals are good.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Probably the only money that gets left behind in the community from the hordes that don't go to the gas station. I'm happy to pay just to be in this slice of paradise.
heffe222

Post by heffe222 »

More for someone, then, and how about services??
Last edited by heffe222 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BK

Post by BK »

I'm with you JL... Takes a big person to point their finger at little Darcy...She is just doing her job..!
Don't like it, then you should come prepared... Or stay home...
KC7777

Nitinat

Post by KC7777 »

Hi,

What's the big deal? Nothing is ever perfect. You can get water behind the motel (or bring an extra jug from home). Bring your own TP. Give the seat a bit of wipe if you have cleanliness issues. It's called camping.

There are more important threads than this....liking bashing that Seatrend seller!

K
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I think you guys are missing the point, Heffe isn't pointing the finger at Darcy, but at the Park Operator who is paid to provide a certain level of services that are not being met.

If we have to pay for the contracted services then one would expect they recieve the promised services. If not, then return the campground to the user group and/or to bare bones camping and I am sure user groups will spring up to keep the place going.
Last edited by nanmoo on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

heffe222 wrote:More welfare for the locals, then??
Wow heffe, I'd say that you've pretty much lost any support that you may have generated.
blackdogvan

Post by blackdogvan »

Ya, WTF. Last weekend the Beday water heater was on the fritz & was only spraying 36.5 degree water...

ANNNNYYYYWWAAAYYYY......

I would like to know who I can send a polite and respectful email to regarding the condition of the road between the campsite & the village. Can anyone say its been graded in 3ish years?
heffe222

Post by heffe222 »

Never said I didn't like Darcy - she is okay by me, and if someone is going to collect money, she does a good job and is very polite. The point is, who is supposed to be maintaining the campsite for that money?

My post, for the record:

Agreed that Nitinaht is a great place to do windsports, and families and supporters can hang out in a fairly natural environment.

The campsite is Rec Site # REC0272 and is apparently 'Maintained to Standard' under the auspicies of the BC Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts / Recreation Sites and Trails BC. http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/s ... &type=Site

And the Site Operator is: Ditidaht Forest Products Ltd.

My question: Since it is currently an area that is completely without any meaningful services, what is the $12 per day camping fee for???

Me and my sailing buddies would like to know why the camping fee is not being applied towards:

:Getting the pot-holed road between the village and campsite fixed
:Having the outhouses better maintained / cleaned / stocked with TP
:Having some fresh (not necessarily potable) water available

At the present time (summer 2012) there are not even these basic services provided, and the only 'servicing' being done is by Darcy Edgar showing up and relieving us of our money.

Who's with us in applying a little pressure on the camp operator / Provincial Government to improve these 'Services and Security'? I suggest a fee boycott until some action is taken on the poor conditions of the campsite, and we receive better services for our money.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

I can pretty much guarantee if you/everyone boycott paying the band will boycott you/everyone from driving into the campsite.

Seems like you think that the campsite users have the power position here. The people that can easily close the road off have the power position.

I don't disagree that it would be nice to understand where your $12 goes, but you might want to think about the consequences to whatever action you take has on the overall windsport community that uses the site.
Give'R
BK

Post by BK »

Geoff Hall... Good thing you used your name... Now the locals will know who is bashing them. (shaking my head in disappointment...)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

BK wrote:Geoff Hall... Good thing you used your name... Now the locals will know who is bashing them. (shaking my head in disappointment...)
I don't see it that way at all, he's merely asking the question what is going on....which is fair
TheLaw wrote:I can pretty much guarantee if you/everyone boycott paying the band will boycott you/everyone from driving into the campsite.
Is Ditidaht Forest Products Ltd. "the Band" :?: and if so, who in the Band gets to benefit from the money or what are they
to provide?

Heffe raises valid points (not including the outside road which I figure is out of this equation but the Band should be bitching about that to the government :roll: ) unfortunately it is old ground. And it's $12 now, is it? I remember $5 and then the doubling....wonder where it's gonna end up

The point is "what are you paying for" if not Darcy and Darcy's boss' wages....to create two jobs in BC. :roll: ...and why is she only collecting every 5 days? I suppose those having been asked to buck up every day should consider themselves lucky but if I was there paying and knew nobody paid the 4 days prior I would feel a bit ticked.

Anyway, one must have the "standard" available as a reference in order to measure "the service". If the standard includes clean certain # of outhouses but no water, so be it. I do recall picnic tables being part of the equation, not sure how many there are these days....No Ministry communication is a large part of the problem here. How hard is it to post a summary of the contract document and intent :?: so everyone knows the score. MOF, WTF are you in this :?: :?: goddamn I hate you, Liberals, no accountability or follow through..... What about this land claim settlement bullshit? Get it done already!! I don't for a second blame the Band/locals here
Last edited by KUS on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

The campground COULD be run like other forestry campgrounds. A host is present to collect your $ & keep things neat. When all sites are taken no more campers are permitted. "Enjoy your stay for as many as 14 consecutive days". etc. .I camped @ Nitinat for many years when it was free. Those days are gone. Suck it up 8)
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

JL wrote:The campground COULD be run like other forestry campgrounds. A host is present to collect your $ & keep things neat. When all sites are taken no more campers are permitted. etc. .I camped @ Nitinat for many years when it was free. Those days are gone. Suck it up 8)
.....and that is the way it should be. Consistency. And if the site is full, guess what, it's FULL. You cannot keep pounding on the place and not expect it to erode, at some point you need to close the door.

It's not about the money or not sucking it up, stuff changes, paradise is lost everywhere, first you pay, then you cannot even get in, oh well....way of the world. But it IS about the service/benefit for the money that you would expect as in other pay-sites....there was garbage everywhere when I was there. The cans stunk. Weeds were 4' long in some areas. The potholes can swallow a smart car on the short road in. Some yahoo was driving his truck onto the beach to load his shit up. There were no cars in the FRONT ROW parked on roots of trees etc (stupid poles) but everywhere else in the place :roll: ..unlike in a pay site in Oregon, Washington or other parts of BC :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....