Rule of 3... Kite Review request!!!

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
abetanzo

Rule of 3... Kite Review request!!!

Post by abetanzo »

My perfect quiver seems to be a rule of 3 in a 4 kite quiver!!

6, 9.5, 12 and a 15 is what I'm after but only own 2 of the 4... a 9.5 OR Prodigy, and 12 Naish Cult.... but the 6m kites seem obsolete in the OR line up!! the Rise is the only kite offered in a 6m and its old news that its been removed from the OR line up!!

I'd like to hear a review, similar to the OR Prodigy thread, of the smaller Cypher and possibly the newest addition the Force!!! even the Razor aint offered in a 6 although it could be a valueable addition to the quiver for a young hottie to use or the girlfriend!!!!

a 6m or 7m kite is the only size I think I'd fly when its cranking..
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I bought a 2009 Rise 6m used & cheap ... though still crispy and no scuffs, seems to have been barely used at all. I've pumped it up and flown it like a trainer on low wind days, but haven't used it yet either. I suspect there's a lot of high wind kites out there that never get out of the bag!

I understand the 6m Rise flies fast like a fighter jet, "twitchy" was the term used.

And I understand too that things can go bad very quickly with these smaller kites in big winds ... as someone wise said "a big kite can hurt you, but a small kite can kill you"
JL

Post by JL »

It's now the 'FORCE' http://oceanrodeo.com/pdf/catalogue-2013-mid.pdf ... The winter storms have a habit of bringing squally winds of 25 - 40+ knots ... We (old guard) won't even launch big (8+Meter) kites on storm days. So If your serious about storm kiting a used 6 rise might be a great kite to have in your quiver :idea:
Last edited by JL on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

I think that a 7m will be way more versatile to you than a 6m.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

[quote="OtLunch"]I think that a 7m will be way more versatile to you than a 6m.[/quote]

definetly seems to be the way to go especially with a girlfriend getting interested in the sport...

but whats best another Prodigy, the Razor or maybe a Cypher?? in order to stick with the local OR line up!!!

it seems people purchase new Razors 6,8,10,12 with a rule of 2!!
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Seems to me the 2m jump has too much overlap. My 12m starts at 12kt, is good from 15-25, and have been able to use it (overpowered) up to 30.

So the 9m doesn't really kick until low 20s. And I guess the 6m is for when it's solidly over 30 (not for me yet). The new-to-me 16m experiment starts at 8kts and makes 10-15kts fun.

If you only had one kite around here, I figure a 10m would probably be it. But once you have an 8m and 12m ... how much do you really need the 10m?
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

Since you are talking about your GF getting into the sport and you already have a Prodigy, my suggestion would be to add another Prodigy. It is friendlier to beginners but still will likely never be outgrown by 80% of us out there. You also have the 9.5m so there will be familiarity with the flight characteristics and wind ranges will fit well together.

My thought is ask more what colour you are looking for.
Sandy Beach

kite review

Post by Sandy Beach »

Absolutely, I agree with OTLunch. Colour is key :D 8) :lol:
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

couldnt agree more... a woman's colour palette ranges are extreme... good thing I only have four to pick from ... probably blue!

also...good to see everyone is busy at work today!
Ned

Post by Ned »

I'd go 7m Prodigy too, but I am very obviously biased :)

As always, my opinion is worth what you just paid for it here!
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

yea Ned you have a rule of 1 in a 10 kite quiver!
curses - foiled again!
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

got a mint 2012 6m rise only flown a couple times if you are interested.
Vik

Post by Vik »

juandesooka wrote:Seems to me the 2m jump has too much overlap.
Just depends on your preferences. I was riding a 6m, 8m, 10m, 12m, 17m quiver this summer and the 2m size differences allowed me to be on the perfect kite every session. A kite that's overpowered or struggling to keep your riding isn't much fun even if you can make it work.

Having said that if I was starting over again I'd probably go for a 7m, 9m, 12m + lightwind kite quiver. As someone noted the 6m isn't as useful as the 7m.

Having lots of kites costs more to start with, but the 6/7m, and lightwind kite don't see a lot of wear and tear so you'll have them for a long long time. It's only the core part of the quiver that has to be replaced more frequently and if you spread the wear over three kites vs. two kites they last longer.

It's only painful if you "have to" have all new gear each year - in which case a small quiver is kinder to the wallet. :wink:
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

I hate to admit that I'm not really looking for the GF... but thought that a Cypher could be a decent deal... I've heard F All about the Cyphers

The Force looks pretty awesome but again FA heard about it... and at 5m weather I'm not gona be confident out there until another few seasons..

The 7m Prodigy seems to be the obvious choice... and considering the GF might be getting into the sport its the most bang for your buck... and will last me a long time.. I'd like that Rise just to own one of the legendary kites from the line up!!

I can't purchase without paying off the kite I just bought so will consider options for sometime before I can jump.. really need a new board!!

please post a reply with a little shpeal on the Cypher and the Force...
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Dude- given your skill and dimensions

hands down this is your ideal 4 kite quiver

7-9.5-12-17.5

or 3 kite

7-9.5-15

You'll almost always be underpowered less than 7

also, add a big floaty surfboard to your board quiver, something with little rocker and big fins. I would suggest nothing smaller than a 6'4 with a bit of foam
these are not the pumps you are looking for....