"Poodle Dave" (Tickell) - RIP

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

"Poodle Dave" (Tickell) - RIP

Post by KUS »

Winger: Sorry to hear of Poodle Dave passing. ( and such a nasty disease too!) I remember 25 years ago going to Nitinat and he was retired and I thought he had it made with his camper and his set up sailing all year in various places. - Monday May 06, 2:11PM
Eastside: I remember Poodle Dave from Nimpkish. Nice guy, nasty disease. Sounds like he had a good life with lots of sailing and hanging out with good friends. Great nick name too. I can see the poodle now! - Monday May 06, 10:44AM
Martin: Sorry to hear of poodledave's passing. in San Diego in the rain and no wind. - Monday May 06, 10:33AM
Downwind Dave: ahh bummer. it was always fun camping out by dave's RV. he helped me a lot with the tips when i was a beginner. great guy. - Monday May 06, 10:32AM
Jl: Fond memories of Poodle Dave. Just yesterday I was remembering the folding Picnic table he gave to my young family. He could always split the nastiest round. - Monday May 06, 9:25AM
Gwind: Sad, will miss seeing Poodle Dave at Nimpkish. Always gung ho, great dog too! - Monday May 06, 9:05AM
: Sad news as a fellow windsurfer passes from his struggle with ALS (Lou geritts disease). (Poodle) Dave Tickell (73) was avid windsurfer and fisherman. Loved Nimkish, Nitinat and South Padre island to sail. His laughter and smiles will be missed. May you sail off into the sunset. - Monday May 06, 8:34AM
===========================
That is too bad, thanks for sharing the info on the forum. Crap disease :x :evil:

I too remember Dave as one of the early and regular comers to the lake, he seemed to always be at Lake N or the Nat. He was it seemed a quieter guy, we exchanged pleasantries and not much more but I always felt he was highly respectful of Nitinaht and the people around him. As for (one of) his dog, I always thought perhaps he was drawing cougars into the campsite.... :D kinda like leaving the cooler lid off for bears with a few juicy steaks inside and berries or cheese (right Sandra?) on top for dressing.

His poodle also always brought to mind this cartoon from my avalanche forecasting days which continues to bring a huge smile to my face:
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/d ... poodle.jpg
:lol:
Yes, I too felt he had it made when he got that killer truck and camper combo. A guy who lived for his hobby (for one, as that is all I knew about the fellow), made use of his retirement days in one of the best ways I know how 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Yes so many good memories of poodle Dave, Nitnat and the La Ventana too. Last time we saw Dave windsurfing was when Sharon and I spent the winter of 04 in LV. I think he was still sailing till a few short years ago. Not fair for anyone so active and health conscious to have their life cut short by disease and sickness. We all know it "can" come as we age and it's up to each of us to stay healthy, live life the best and the fullest we can....but more importantly to enjoy and appreciate friends, family and those we love. :)
I still remember Dave from his sailing days with his windsurfing hat strapped on. Can't seem to find a picture of him to share. Anyone??
Why aren't YOU out there?
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

there he is, right by BWD, w/ poodle :D
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

That is very sad news. He was such a nice guy and he sure spent his retirement the right way. That photo brings back lots of good memories.
Sandy Beach

RIP poodleDave: appreciate friends/family/wind community

Post by Sandy Beach »

Good idea to start this thread, Kus to capture all the sentiments in one place rather than scattered around the message board.

Thanks for posting this (oldie but goodie) photo of some 'Nitinat wind pioneers', DWD. Many memorable characters.

We remember sharing the wind with poodleDave, and sorry to hear this sobering news today. Sounds like he lived his life to the fullest chasing wind at his favourite beaches with his wind community. Very warm thoughts and condolences to his close friends/family.

Time seems to slip away so quickly. I agree with RV, it's key to appreciate good friends/family/our special island wind community.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction