Nitinat Update

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
joeschmoe

Nitinat Update

Post by joeschmoe »

Hi folks,

Looking to head over to Nitinat camping for a few days early next week. Fingers crossed this low pressure system fecks off and there will be some decent wind. Just wondering if anyone has any info on the following for this season:

- Has the store reopened & well stocked?
- What condition is the logging road from the north shore of lake cowichan? Any issues to be aware of?
- How much is the camping fee?
- Has the sauna and/or the hot tub been rebuilt? I saw pics from last year, looks amazing.

Any other relevant info or updates for this season would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

the road around the north side is great! don't know about the other stuff.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Store is open but under new managment and VERY overpriced so bring everything you need.
Water access has been cut off and it's $8 for 4 liters at the store so pack lots.
Camping fee is $13 or $15 on the beach
No Sauna or Tub
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

NO SAUNA? NO TUB?

What happened?
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
joeschmoe

Post by joeschmoe »

Thanks for that info, really helpful.

Gutted that the sauna won't be there. :cry: At least it still should be windy but the sauna was such a treat.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

maybe its just not built yet?
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

The sauna is still packed up in the bushes, apparently all the lumber for the hottub got hijacked.
The road was pretty good a couple weeks ago (still managed to get a flat though) >:[
Last edited by SmallWaveSteve on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
emearg

Post by emearg »

$8 - for 4 liters !!! really ?
now that is gouging.

there was the source just before the motel, i take it it's gone now too ?

Has it been any more crowded than usual in the campground or beach camping ?

Thanks very much for any updates !!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Water- you could try the fire hose standpipe bib there is one behind the store, used that a few years ago or just get some from Nitinaht ....or better Caycuse rivers, how hard is that? :?: Ya bunch a city slickers, you probably also buy water in a plastic bottle :evil: Just maybe boil yer drinking water....I wouldn't even bother with that but some people DO get sick from Gardia etc. :roll:

Sauna- Herman said last year he is done building and taking down the Sauna, it is time for someone to take it on/over......passing on the torch as it were.....so go put it up, someone who is stuck there with nothing to do on a windless sunny day with some basic tools on hand like most of us did at one time or another :D Getting the lumber ripped off sucks, scum bastards, but to be expected :x

As for the $15 I still wonder...... and what's the deal with the permanent dwellings there :?: I hope Forestry kicks yer ass out after 2 weeks :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

Thank you Herman for your years of dedication and way too hard work, you have more than earned your sauna building retirement.
emearg

Post by emearg »

Thanks for update Kus.

Sounded like water in town was completely cut off - I am happy getting some from a natural source just want it to be unsalted one of the rivers/streams should work then....will bring more beer.

Are there permanent dwellings and or people leaving big ass trailers for weeks at a time in the treed campsite area or you just talking up the beach ?? Be nice if that 2 week rule was enforced to allow others to share some of the prime space.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

the only people i see who appear to be 'permanent' are kiteboarding teachers and they have dedicated their lives to be teaching. some don't have any other homes and just live in vans and trailers. i hope they are not harassed for providing an invaluable service. the pay isn't that great so it's not as if they can stay in the motel, and they pay their camp fees.
curses - foiled again!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

thankgodiatepastafobreaky wrote:the only people i see who appear to be 'permanent' are kiteboarding teachers and they have dedicated their lives to be teaching...providing an invaluable service..
oh, kinda like Mother Theresa then :idea: missionaries in Uganda and the like....the guys with dedicated dedades of years off "working" for beer or cash, yeah, no problem, they don't have to follow any of the taxpaying crowd's rules then. I kinda like the street people dwellings in the trees, it makes for a nice camping backdrop. And those familes trying to get in mid season, the couple busting their ass all year....booking an extra weekday off or two just to maybe some day hoping to score a waterfront spot with their tents and kids can just set up in the back 40
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Roger Dee checked out the water situation in the village.

This is the official word, "... the handles have been broken and we just haven't had a chance to fix. We will be working on these issues starting on Monday, we do wish to have water available just in a safe format."

MTM

P.S. I have dedicated my life to drinking red wine so that I can help others by telling them how great Syrah-Granache blends are. Someone has to do it! This week I recommend Beso de Vino .... 90 Points ... $12.95. Mmmmmm. Red wine ...... Mmmmmm
I wish my TOW was longer!
GWIND

Wine

Post by GWIND »

Have a bottle of 90 in front of me right now, Windward liquor store, Nanaimo.
Will be loading up the van.
For if and when it blows.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson