Port Alberni wind forecast

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

windsurf247

Port Alberni wind forecast

Post by windsurf247 »

So now that the summer thermals are here, I thought I'd share the surface temperature map I've been using to forecast the winds in PA. It takes some trial and error to figure out the patterns that work but with a group of users contributing, we should be able to get it dialed :D

Here's what I've found so far: Hot in PA and cool on the coast doesn't necessarily mean wind. It's a long inlet and the wind can get channeled up other hot valleys along the way.

The kicker seems to be the cool air moving right up the inlet. It doesn't need to be scorching in PA either. It'll still go off with just a slight temp difference. If it's hot in PA though and cool up the inlet, it'll really nuke 8)

Using the map: when the map loads, it'll cycle through a few days. I find it easier to stop it and just forward it frame by frame. Look at the daytime forecasts to see what the trend is. The tip of the inlet will usually have a warm/hot spot around it. Look for other "hot spots" in the area that may compete and also how far the cool air comes in.

If the PA hot spot stretches down the inlet, it'll likely be outflow.

Check it out and post any other observations you have. I just have to look out my window to see the wind but it'd be great for out of towners to be able to predict it with a certain degree of accuracy.

Good luck..

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/ ... _tsfc+///3
windsurf247

PA wind forecast

Post by windsurf247 »

PS...the map yesterday looked very similar to the map for the next three days 8) :twisted:
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

That seems complicated. Better I just text you every hour for a report. :wink:

(kidding...thanks for posting....I find it interesting to try and predict wind...seems like a great mystery, but the patterns are there, just need to know what to look for)
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Thanks, Rob! I'm hoping to share a session with you guys Fri or Sat! Been skunked on previous attempts :evil:
Poultry in motion
windsurf247

Bump

Post by windsurf247 »

Thought I'd resurrect this thread with the windy season approaching and the spotlight on PA again 8)
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Very cool. Just scrolled through and it looks pretty easy to use. Worth adding to the forecasting links?
windsurf247

ZOOOM

Post by windsurf247 »

FYI....this map is way easier to look at if you zoom right in on PA.