jumping near the boat ramp

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
mortontoemike

jumping near the boat ramp

Post by mortontoemike »

On Thursday last week one of my windsurfing friends was hit by a kite just upwind of the (old) boat launch by the bulletin board. He had just jibed and was heading away from the beach when a kiter lost control of his kite after jumping and the lines took out his mast and knocked him off the board. The kiter apologized afterward which is very nice.

It is pretty clear that the area between the boat launch and the tree stump is a very active area for windsurfers - in fact there is an obvious lane of them on a busy day.

Would it be possible to ask kiters not to jump in the area between the tree stump and the little bay beside the boat launch? Is this reasonable?
I wish my TOW was longer!
emearg

Post by emearg »

Same guy had his kite crash about 5 feet from a buddies 10 yr old son who was learning to windsurf just west from the big stump. Scared the crap out of the kid who quickly got off the water for the day....this was before he landed on the guy east of the stump. again he apologized but obviously did not learn any lessons from it...he was boosting huge air close to shore where there were beginners and lots of people jibing. Seems like there are some other places on the lake he could be doing this with more safety.

It is reasonable to ask Kiter's to avoid jumping there and a lot of this guy's buddies gave him shit for almost landing on the kid but then he did it again......
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Probably same type of person that doesn't have the "courtesy" to cut his tact short on its way to shore when seeing someone launching to let them get out of the beach... My last 2 times at Nitinaht I had kiter coming 1 or 2 meter with their kite beside mine just after launching, I was just trying to get out and go kite upwind near the river or upwind like I usually do (less busy/risky). Soon someone will have to get angry I guess.

(I have been guilty of jumping in that exact location Saturday 3rd August between ~1715-1745, rarely kite there and wont jump there again, just wanted to go out for an half an hour and didn't feel like going all the way upwind).

Good point to bring up.
If people jump that close of shore/windsurfers/kiters, they should at least try a trick which they have a 90%+ landing rate as oppose to one that they are learning. (keep these learning ones a little further out in non-busy area?)
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Real simple - if you are learning jumps, doing big jumps, learning loops, or whatever - either kite or windsurf, head upwind out of the shipping lanes. There is plenty of space up there and the waves tend to be more head on anyways. Sure you won't be able to show off to your friends on shore who don't care, but at least people won't be subjected to a kite/mast/board to the head.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

nanmoo wrote:Real simple - if you are learning jumps, doing big jumps, learning loops, or whatever
I don't think that it should matter whether you are learning or not. Kite jumping in that area should be discouraged. It's where windsurfers learn and professional lawn mowers turn the mower around.
I wish my TOW was longer!
GWIND

Bad kiters

Post by GWIND »

That happened to me on the long weekend..some arsehole kiter almost tomahawked me near shore. Some people thought that he had hit me. The kite had gone just past me, but the lines were all over me. I thought that if the kite launched it would tear me f&(/ing head off. I dove under my sail and when I came up I had a few choice words for the moron. And to top it all off he had also just jumped right by the shore. Oh but he was sooo sorry.
Could be the same idiot.
I'm getting a knife for kites. :evil:
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

unless u post a sign on the stump.....you will miss the one guy who "just got here....visiting...new....can't read anyway....doesn't care....is not a people person....is not doing it on purpose....had a lobotomy...has a knife of his own...." :roll:

But maybe, just maybe.... a gentle, kindly worded sign in kid's writing like those "please sir, no jumping kites....my mommy windsurfs here" kinda sign...might survive for a weekend :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

its a simple rule but gets broken all the time... when I do witness it I try to find the guy again and size him up then give'em hell if I can take him!

It etiquette, its common sense, its only reasonable.. but I saw way too many people doing this at the lake!!

someone who looks like arnold should cut some lines for sure
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Read the damn rules

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewto ... s&start=15

clearly this is against the rules
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Kiteboarders Rules:

1- Only inflate and leave 1 kite. Wrap your lines up until just before you ready to launch. Otherwise your gear will be donated to the village kids.

2- Launch and land with extreme caution well away from the WS area. Do not walk on gear. Non kiters/ kids/ dogs have right of way.

3- Give the school and students a wide berth, and remember we were all once (still) kooks

4- Stay away from windsurfers area on the beach and on the water. They are a critically endangered species. Only approach them if you are also wearing short jeans and sporting a stache.

5- Try not to mow the lawn near the beach area.

6-Don't jump/ ride near the beach when people are trying to launch and land. Nobody cares about your pussy loops and handle crashes anyway.

Windsurfers Rules

1- Understand that the occasional kite kook will have to float into the WS area due to lack of wind. This is a sign of respect to the windsurf upwind prowess.

2- Students body dragging thru your area are actually paying hommage to the windsurf gods.

3- Keep windsurfing. Kiteboarding sucks- Don't try it.

All People

1- Pay the camp fees, and don't bitch about it.

2- Littering sucks. Pick up your sh#$

3- Respect the sauna, and other attractions. Try to chop wood for them. Give beer to the people that built them.

4- Pick up litter once per visit...bring a plastic bag and clean to beach once in a while of all cans/ bikinis/ etc.

5- Try to keep the bongos/ partying down after midnight.

6- If you get rescued, it's $20.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

skywalker wrote:Kiteboarders Rules:

4- Stay away from windsurfers area on the beach and on the water. They are a critically endangered species. Only approach them if you are also wearing short jeans and sporting a stache.
...Also ensure you are wearing your short jeans OVER your suit, 'cause it looks awesome. Make sure your 'stache is worn with a sense of irony.

Nothing further to add to this discussion...
Poultry in motion
Ryball

Post by Ryball »

Even when I'm rigging my kite (up in the kiting area where I am supposed to), I get right pissed off when guys are boosting huge air, looping, 360s, etc about 3 inches from shore and right beside me. I've seen more than enough kites come tomahawking down, narrowly missing myself, other kiters, non-kiters, dogs, and kids. I have also seen kiters being dragged down the beach on the rocks because they f'ed up their jump trying to show off to friends so close to shore. I don’t see the point or the risk they are putting on themselves or to others by doing this. I always jump at least 200 feet from shore and miles away from other kiters in case it all goes to hell (which it often does).

As well, I can't agree more about the kiters that fail to cut their tack short when you are attempting to launch and get out on the water.

Nitinat continues to be an amazing place and we are fortunate to have this in our backyard but as it get busier and busier every year, its that much more important for everyone to have a better sense of awareness and use some common sense when out on the water.
Last edited by Ryball on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

skywalker wrote:Kiteboarders Rules:
1- ,,,,,
some fairly annoying stuff, btw....I know ur trying for humor here but it only serves to drive any rift deeper...how about let's not :?:

I have respect for learning windsurfers OR kiters or kids/women doing their thing in their comfort zone...Not everyone is 20 and full of wanting to show their cajones...I don't go out of my way to jump near or slash a wave and spray or freak some learner, drifting kite, old fart, lawn mower

MTM's comment is ok :!:
Self policing of the kite group is in order :!:

I'd tell the windsurfing freestyling punk to get lost if he kept getting in the way of general traffic or got too close to the kids at the beach :!: YOU kiters know who the dumb fuck is, we don't necessarily
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
CTK

Post by CTK »

At times I ride just below the stump on my kite/surfboard. The point there can have some clean/decent waves. But am always aware and respectful of everyone around.

I can also see the point of jumping closer to shore above the stump, as long as your a line length at least away from the beach. This is a smooth area that isn't normally effected by the chop. Easier to load and pop plus the benefit of the smooth water when landing. Again just be respectful and aware of your surroundings.

The lake is busy, lots of people don't post on here or read the forums, some just have no respect and accidents happen.
:?
slats

Post by slats »

yup, we've all seen it and even made a few mistakes ourselves. Thing is, I think the people that frequent this forum are the ones that give a shit about our behaviour and each other. The people that are showboating and are displaying a lack of regard are probably the ones who do not donate to the site, post or even care much what we think.
unfortunately, this is the way of life. So we can blabber on cause we "get" the rules but it falls on deaf ears for the 10% who could care less.