Maui Beta

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
G-Daddy

Maui Beta

Post by G-Daddy »

Going to Maui in 2 weeks for the first time in 12 years! This time I sort of kinda know what I'm doing as opposed to being a total newb trying to learn the ropes in black diamond terrain, like my first trip years ago. Still hurting from the repeated walks of shame with my big 'GO' board along Kanaha Beach.

I'm sure this has been done before, so if there are previous posts just direct me there.

Any recommendations for car rental? What works best? A beater minivan? Something else? Who's got decent rates? Good service?

How about rentals? Any suggestions? I was hoping for North/Fanatic since that's what I sail but doesn't look like anyone rents that stuff so it's pretty much fair game for everything else. Who has decent prices/service?

Any suggestions for weather/conditions links?

Best sailing guide?

Thanks
G :?: :idea: :lol:
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Oh yeah. We're staying in Paia. Probably sailing Kanaha the whole time since I want to make sure Yana feels comfortable out there too.

Any suggestions for lessons?
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

One more thing. Wet suit thickness in Late November?
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

i can only speak from my last experience 3 years ago but i had a great experience with a minivan from mauivans (al west) and rentals from kanaha kai. if you book gear 2 weeks ahead you get a big discount so you might want to think about it. bonus of kanaha kai is it is close to the beach and you can trade up/down to as many ws/sup/surfboards as you want, all day long. you have to like starboards and hot sails though.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Echo Dave's advice, only the coolest of the cool of us use HSM, so you'll be in good company. Sounds like you'll be there at the same time as Winddoc and possibly myself. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

Wetsuit = none. I've never used one on Maui either in November or March/April. That said, I can remember Andrei rocking a 3/4 suit at the same time on one of those trips!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

looking like im going too, late january though. last trip i wore a 2mm sleeveless shorty under my boardies. its important to rock some sort of motion control bottoms, found that out the hard way :evil:
Winger

Post by Winger »

Put in a car request on "Hawaiian Island Rental cars" they usually come up with the best rate.
I've had great selection and service at Hawaiian Island Surf shop. They will only charge you for the days that it blows, so you don't end up paying for any non wind days on a 2 week rental.
A thin shorty is all you may need or a vest top or thicker Rash guard for those days it might be overcast or showery when you are sailing on the north shore.
have fun!
Winger
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

G-Daddy wrote:One more thing...
did you know you can edit your post before someone else responds and not have to start a new one?

I sometimes go with a rashie but a suit is good protection, I would wear a 2:2, helpful to cover the shins at times, always wear booties to not trash the holiday

I used Al's last time, shuttle rides to the airport and they will pick you up, rates are up there with everyone else tho. If you got the bucks for a van, it is nice to not have to haul your gear into the condo for fear of having it grow legs....or having to remove it from the roof for the parkade :roll:

As for pricing, only the Euros actually buy new gear in Maui :oops: HI Tech is the biggest rip off, Second Wind is probably the most reasonable in Kahului

edit: links list deleted to protect the innocent
Last edited by KUS on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Once again I have to agree with Downwind... Motion control is essential or those seams inside the boardies do a number on your tea bags. I usually wear the same underarmour shorts I wear for soccer.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Obsessioned

Post by Obsessioned »

I just got home from Maui today.
Car rental: http://mauiwheelsrental.com/ talk to Juan, he's a kiter and he rentals are the right price.
I'd recommend taking a quick 1 hour orientation lesson to make sure you know all the local knowledge to stay safe. I was working for Dave at Action Sports Maui. He has a couple of Ocean Rodeo kites now that he can rent to you. His prices are good, and he's been teaching on Kanaha for 17 years.
I was totally comfortable wearing boardies and a rash guard almost everyday, and a neoprene top on the one day that felt cool.
I'll be heading back in December!
Have a blast..
saulman

Post by saulman »

G

what are your dates?

We'll be there November 30 to December 13 but staying on the other side of the island. This is a family trip but I'm hoping for a few days on the water.

Saul.
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Thanks for all the info! You guys rock. We'll be there Nov 15-24th Saul.

G
BigD

Mauio

Post by BigD »

I'll be there Jan 29th-Feb 19th, staying in Kihei with the fams. DWD you gonna be there during that time?

I always rent from Second Wind, they have RRD boards and Ezzy sails. When I'm with the fams I usually rent around 2:30pm, sail until dinner and then come back and sail the next day from 11-3ish. The rentals are 24 hours so I can get 2 days in for $50. They'll even let you swap gear out if the conditions change.

Forget the wetsuit, get this:
http://www.boatstogo.com/shark-repellent-rashguard.asp

I rented a car from these guys this time: http://mauirentacar.com/

Aloha!
8)
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I will be in Maui dec20 to jan4. Staying in kihei. Kiting where the wind is. ..surfing otherwise. Fun to connect up if any other bwd types there at that time. Wow...only 6 weeks away. ...guess it is time to stop procrastination about some training prep. Tomorrow for sure. ;-)
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

nice! i am enjoying all the maui chatter. im probably going jan 15-30 but i didn't get tickets just yet. staying in Paia near mambo cafe.